Where/How you mounted HF tire changer

Guest bitterpil

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mounted mine to a 4X4 piece of OSB and keep it on the side patio. I had trouble securing the wheel with the stock HF blocks, so I bought a set of six rim clamp spools from No-Mar for their Cyclehill changer. They use them in three pairs on top of the blocks, but there is only room for one on the HF blocks. I think it will work with single spools. I will find out Tuesday when I change the rear tire. If not, I will bolt on some wider plates on the HF blocks and mount the spools in pairs.

You can mount Mojo Blocks to the HF for this problem. Works well. I didnt bolt mine down to anything. If you get the bar started in the right place you can grab the bar that comes up n over the top with 1 hand n pull or put your Hip against it and push.. I change 5 or 6 sets a year like this.. and just store it in the corner against the wall when not in use.. If you have to manhandle it to change a tire your not making sure the Beads of the tire are in the well of the rim.. Also Small woooden blocks between the tire and rim will help hold it in place while installing the tire..

• Member Contributer

+1 on the 4x4 sheet of 3/4" plywood and tee-nuts recessed into the bottom. Demounts quickly and stores flat against the wall. Can use indoors or out.

I use the HF changer and cover the wheel clamps with Gorilla tape to make them no-mar. The MoJo Lever is what really makes it all work. With it you don't need the over head brace that comes with the HF unit, just a steel rod down the center hole gives all the pivot point you need with MoJo. Be sure to use blocks to hold rotors up in the clear when breaking beads. A rim clamp to keep the tire bead from "walking" helps, too. I liked the idea of using some wood blocking to hold the opposite side of the tire into the rim well.

• Member Contributer

In the concrerte, I used Redhead concrete anchors from Lowes, about $20 I think! My dad had a HF tire changer on a 3' x3' piece of plywood and it wasn't very stable!

Is that the NoMar?... I know it isn't the HF.

That is in fact the No Mar. Awesome piece of tire changing machinery.

It's a great changer, I got in the middle of the summer, put up an add for cheap tire changes on craigslist and now all my No Mar tools are close to being paid for. Not to mention all the great people along the way!! And I have a great new group of riding buddies!

No Mar has them on sale with free shiping if anyone reading this is looking for one! If you know someone who would split it with you, it's worth the money!!

• Member Contributer

Luvmyvfr, thats exactly how I mounted mine and it works great.

Vfrcapn, those are also what I use.

I guess great minds think alike.

Do you change tires for anyone....money, beer or for fun?

I am old (43) and working standing up is much better than on my knees.

Old? Old? You call 43 old? What until you get to be 59 knocking on the door of 60. That's old.

43? Heck, you don't even get a subscription to AARP until you're 50. I bet you don't even get a senior citizen's discount at Denny's, etc. tongue.gif

• Member Contributer

A bigger issue is to find a tool to compress the side of the tire while mounting the rubber. I have been using my oil-filter wrench for that purpose with success.

Similar to the c-clamp but I find these a lot easier to use.

5412_lg.jpg

Oh, that looks good. I've been using a ratcheting tie down strap..

I use some very high tech equipment to keep the bead in the drop center while mounting the tire....two pieces of braided PVC hose. hardware store for $0.60 and no scratches....a 3/8 ID piece shoved inside a 3/4 inch piece, both about 3 inches long. Two of them usually does it. :fing02:

gallery_14545_4425_2058539.jpg

IMG_1786.JPG

gallery_14545_4425_1953733.jpg

IMG_1787.JPG

Old? Old? You call 43 old? What until you get to be 59 knocking on the door of 60. That's old.

43? Heck, you don't even get a subscription to AARP until you're 50. I bet you don't even get a senior citizen's discount at Denny's, etc. tongue.gif

You are right.... It was a poor attempt at humor. I do have a bad knee tho. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Now you guys have me wanting a No-Mar again. Then again , I am just using Tire irons now.

Toys.toys,toys...So many toys so little money.

Well, you can save $160 aprox right now til the end of the year....it's a pretty good deal...next spring put an ad on craigslist like i did and let the thing pay for itself :fing02:

You are right.... It was a poor attempt at humor. I do have a bad knee tho. :fing02:

OK, I'll cut you some slack because of the knee. You're not old, your knee just makes you feel old. wink.gif

Heck, I didn't graduate from high school until I was 41.

I screwed my Mike's tire changer down to the kitchen floor in the house I'm remodeling. It was a hoot watching the wife try to move it when she was cleaning up construction debris one Saturday. Took her about 5 minutes of grunting and straining before she realized I had screwed it to the floor. She just thought it was real heavy at first.

I screwed my Mike's tire changer down to the kitchen floor in the house I'm remodeling. It was a hoot watching the wife try to move it when she was cleaning up construction debris one Saturday. Took her about 5 minutes of grunting and straining before she realized I had screwed it to the floor. She just thought it was real heavy at first.

I believe having a tire changer mounted in your kitchen qualifies you for Red Neck status if nothing else...

• Member Contributer

I believe having a tire changer mounted in your kitchen qualifies you for Red Neck status if nothing else...

Hey I'd have mine screwed in to the hardwood in the living room if my g/f / wifey would not shoot me dead!! Does that mean I must have some hillbilly in me somewhere?? :beer: :goofy: I prefer to think of things on a functional level :blush: It could also be used to dry towels or something!!

Luvmyvfr, thats exactly how I mounted mine and it works great.

Vfrcapn, those are also what I use.

I guess great minds think alike.

Do you change tires for anyone....money, beer or for fun?

Havent yet, but plan on it in the near future. I think I can come up with a competitive payment plan. :blush: :goofy:

Evidently , I made a New years resolution, I now have the HF tire changer. In this depressionary enviornment I'm going to have to install my own tires. I used to just pull them and take to the shop, but its costing me $30 per wheel now and I'm not making the money I used too.

Okay, I need a good place where you can find new valve rubber valve stems, are these typically push in type or screw type. I recently found there was 2 differnt types.

What size does the vfr need, and where is the easiest place typically to find at leat cost?

I know there's going to be opinion, but I've used windex on rubber, simply not a good lubricant drys too quick, so what and why is the best to get or use?

• Member Contributer

Evidently , I made a New years resolution, I now have the HF tire changer. In this depressionary enviornment I'm going to have to install my own tires. I used to just pull them and take to the shop, but its costing me $30 per wheel now and I'm not making the money I used too.

Okay, I need a good place where you can find new valve rubber valve stems, are these typically push in type or screw type. I recently found there was 2 differnt types.

What size does the vfr need, and where is the easiest place typically to find at leat cost?

I know there's going to be opinion, but I've used windex on rubber, simply not a good lubricant drys too quick, so what and why is the best to get or use?

You won't regret that purchase. :comp13:

I bought my last batch of stems from No-Mar. Of course you can go with the really sweet Ariete angled stem's (11.3) from Kurvey Girl.

For lube go to your local auto parts store and pick up a jug of RU-Glyde or order the snot that No-Mar sells.

127ad8a0.jpgSP-Lube-Spray-2T.jpg

• Member Contributer

Another low tech solution for tire lube is soapy water - just use dish soap with water. You have to work quickly before it dries, but it seems to do the job.

I mounted my tire changer on a small "half" pallet - very stable, heavy enough to firmly anchor things but easy to move and store. Since I do not have the luxury of a garage portability/storage is important.

• Member Contributer

I told my wife I was going to mount one in the master bedroom, and use it as a silent butler when not changing tires. She said "no". Go figure!

Why do you want to change valve stems? If they're not leaking why mess with them.

Some shops seem to make it mandatory to replace the stem every change(must be some reasoning there), while I believe you can go a few changes, at some point, I'd want to change as a preventative measure. Once its leaking or blows out, too late.

BTW, whoever posted that reinforced hosing, thats a nice idea if it works, I'm going that route for confirmation

Why do you want to change valve stems? If they're not leaking why mess with them.

Some shops seem to make it mandatory to replace the stem every change(must be some reasoning there), while I believe you can go a few changes, at some point, I'd want to change as a preventative measure. Once its leaking or blows out, too late.

BTW, whoever posted that reinforced hosing, thats a nice idea if it works, I'm going that route for confirmation

Shops do that to cover there butt.. If a stem blows out after they change the tire your gonna blame them for it..

Just order a set from Kurvygirl and it should be the last set you ever need to buy..

Archived