How Do You Wear Your Leathers?

Alien VFR

• Member Contributer

I just got what I think is a killer deal one a nice Hein Gericke on piece leather suit.

Anyone know what this suit cost new?

What do you wear under your leathers? I don't have a lot of room in this suit. I won't be able to wear a pair of pants under it, and I think I can only manage a t-shirt under it. So obviously I won't be wearing this in very cold temps, and I'm sure it'll be hot in the summer. So how do you leather guys cope?

I look forward to my first nice ride in this gear...

VFR001.jpg

when I used to wear em on a track, I wore regulation long-johns under em, even when it was hot, to soak up the sweat.

When I go for a ride now and it around 60ish,its long johns again, but when its warmer, its just haines 32s and a tee shirt.

• Member Contributer

I wear Under Armor under mine. Normally the full length bottoms and long sleeve top. It makes it easier to get the leathers off in the hot weather.

+1.gif

Under Armor or similar

Nice suit. The problem with a one-piece suit is that on stops it's not so easy as just whipping off a jacket to kick back for a while; you have to drop the top half and walk around with it hanging off like you're some sort of, errr, alien +1.gif

I prefer my two-piece zip-together leathers for that reason (had a Frank Thomas one-piece suit for a while).

The purpose-made underleather garments are definitely a worthwhile investment. Also sushi, turkey, salads and rice :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Hi, I wear long sleeve UnderArmour and lycra spandex bicycle shorts. For those of you who have not tried bicycle shorts, I highly recommend giving it a try. They are very lightweight, mold to your body. the elastic in the waist and legs do not allow the shorts to ride up. The shorts are way more comfortable than regualr underwear.

• Member Contributer

I have always worn some polyester type material long sleeve and long pants even in the heat of summer makes it a lot easier to remove in the event of a crash , no cutting required .

+1.gif on bicycle shorts. They stay in place along with your junk :blush: and specifically have extra padding right 'there' :ohmy: to protect your prostitute :491:

They prevent chafing by remaing stable and your leathers can move around. :goofy:

A 'Nucking Futz Racing' t-shirt... ( +1.gif :squid: ) or a Honda jersey turtleneck for cooler days. :sleep:

Greg :fing02:

I used to wear only boxers and a T-shirt but after crashing and having a nice ambulance lady cut my leathers off, it kind of killed my mojo to be left there in my skivies :blink:

So I switched to wearing Under Armor when it's hot and thermals when it's cold.

I wish I would have done that from the start because the underlayer completely eliminates chaffing.

• Member Contributer

I usually wear a pair of compression short and a t shirt. If it's cold then some silk thermals and a long sleeve t shirt. I always wear presentable shorts under my One piece suit cause I can take them off in public like at the track or in the garage in front of my house with out apprehension. Plus in a two piece set if I want to tuck my tee shirt in, I'm not flashing my undies to unsuspecting bystanders. :blink:

• Member Contributer

Hi, I wear long sleeve UnderArmour and lycra spandex bicycle shorts. For those of you who have not tried bicycle shorts, I highly recommend giving it a try. They are very lightweight, mold to your body. the elastic in the waist and legs do not allow the shorts to ride up. The shorts are way more comfortable than regualr underwear.

:blink:

In warmer weather, I also wear UA top and bottom (long for both). My suit (1-pc) has some vents but is not perfed.

In cooler weather I use an RS Taichi one-pc undersuit with Gore Windstopper, and maybe even a pair of syn. long underwear beneath that. That's about all I can fit under the leathers (apart from my back protector), as it fits quite snug.

I recommend staying away from cotton, regardless of weather conditions.

My suit is worn mostly spring and fall, in mild temps, as it's just too hot in the heat of summer (90-100f+ here) and unsuitable for layers in the colder weather (55f +/-). Can get down right chilly once into the mountains here in Idaho.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

GO COMMANDO! :biggrin:

I read a story on a local forum about a "zipper incident" that would keep you from trying that out!

If you don't want to shell out the big bucks for Under Armour, you might be able to find Starter Dri-Star compression shirts and pants at Wally World for $10 each. Long sleeves and legs help leathers slide on and off. Supposed to wick sweat off your skin.

They are a bit tough to locate, however.

• Member Contributer

I swear by the 'C9' UnderArmor knock-offs @ Target. Inexpensive and GREATLY facilitate ingress/egress from suits - winter OR summer. I can add a sweatshirt at most under mine, but that's generally plenty. Push come to shove I've seen folks put windbreakers or other gear outside the suit against the cold. :biggrin:

Definitely UnderArmor (although I understand Danica Patrick goes Commando under her driving suit).

One piece suits are a real pain when you have to "drop the kids off at the pool". :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Workout wear - something fairly tight fitting, tshirt and leggings. I can take off the gear in public without getting too many odd looks.

A one piece is a challenge for pit stops, but a polyester based underlayer makes it easier to pull off the leathers.

My leathers are perfed with great airflow making them ideal for summer. I don't have room for layers underneath, but a windbreaker worn over thje leathers blocks air from flowing through the perfs and makes the gear ideal for cooler weather or rain.

Archived