Titanium Connecting Rods, Oh My! (Update 21/1/14)

• Member Contributer

It's always interesting to hear the the patient's description of what we've done to them.

Strange practices they have, wanting to change a dressing so soon post surg.

I assumed it was to be able to see if there is any infection present? You'd want to address that PDQ I think.

It had been 5 days since surgery today.

They gave me several big freaking horse needles full of antibiotics in the hospital, I think one per day, and I am now on cephalexin 500mg, 4/d.

Good news is, I haven't taken ANY percoset since yesterday, and I don't feel the need to take any today! Just a slight dull ache is all.

Maybe my pain threshold is way up, having suffered a lot of pain in that limb already or something?

But it seems way less painful than the initial injury/repair ever was.

Yes that is great news mate. Seems 2nd time round has been a much better experience :fing02:

5 days? Oh ok, thought it was way sooner. Sounds like they've been covering base well, and qid a/b's is the norm.

We've run them out to 7days in the past, infection usually rears it's head early and in most cases obviously before the 1st change.

As long as the swelling is reducing, the site is not too inflamed, you're afebrile and reports of pain are good.

It differs with surgeons, some have their own querks when it comes to our job... I personally inspect surgical sites for 3 main reasons... the surgeon's ability to close, local infection/swelling and possible allergies to suture material.

As for the daily a/b needles, yikes, braver than me. I'd be begging for a bag and burette... but I've no hesitation when giving them.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...im squirming in my seat now.... Okay Im squeamish. Whatever: Speaking rapid recovery over you, Rob! There is no better story than one of overcoming a major challenge!

Good news is, I haven't taken ANY percoset since yesterday, and I don't feel the need to take any today! Just a slight dull ache is all.

Maybe my pain threshold is way up, having suffered a lot of pain in that limb already or something?

But it seems way less painful than the initial injury/repair ever was.

Sounds good Rob, but be Very Careful!!! I tried to ween off drugs early several times Way too soon and paid dearly for it.

You have to remember many of these drugs need to reach a certain level in your body to work in the first place and then will have a half life of some sort before the level drops off/low enough to hit the pain Threshold again and you start dieing in pain again!

Pain does Not help healing whatsoever.

Heal quickly dude! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Just don't put your left overs in the "Pay it Forward" section. Might cause some problems. :goofy: :biggrin:

Glad to see you recovering and back on the boards.

• Member Contributer

Oh dear god!!! Sounds like you're on the road to recovery and better days.... You're definitely a lot braver than I would be...

Good luck and I hope you get back to work and on the saddle soon.

C

Ps and if you have leftover painkiller don't throw them away... Wink wink!!

• Member Contributer

Within the first week to ten days it is easier to stay ahead of the pain than to overcome it. Be wise with pain pills but stay ahead of pain. Kevin was right, pain is NOT healing. Good luck and keep the attitude.

Within the first week to ten days it is easier to stay ahead of the pain than to overcome it. Be wise with pain pills but stay ahead of pain. Kevin was right, pain is NOT healing. Good luck and keep the attitude.

Honestly, if you can believe it, it was a dull ache yesterday, and today, almost nothing.

The only pain I had at all today was when my middle toe got a bit crampy and decided to pull down. That caused me to take note of the sutures on the sole of my foot.

After grabbing said toe with my hand and bending it back up into it's rightful place, all was well again.

The most painful thing right now is a tiny bit of skin pulling and pressure from all the staples on the outer side of the foot and where the lower part of the fibula used to be, and then only if pressure is applied in some manner, like if the leg rolls to the outside as I'm laying down.

Overall, I am ASTONISHED at how little it hurts, Just feels a little alien to be fixed solid, like a mannequin foot that still feels pain/hot/cold/sensations, but won't move.

Kinda creepy actually. But right now, 6 days post-op, I can honestly say it hurts less than it did 7 days ago when it was still "WHOLE" :)

That's all good stuff Rob, lets hope it keeps going that way for you! :fing02:

Yeah, it was great until I went to the heath nurse to get my dressings changed. :pissed:

She didn't see any of that non-clingy mesh stuff on the back of my heel (it had shifted aside) and ASS-umed there were no incisions there.

SO, she yanked the dressing away from the heel, I jumped bolt upright and screamed, and promptly started leaking from said area.

owieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowie :mad:

(other than that, things are great, even went to my son's basketball practice today. He hit 9/10 free throws during a drill)

owieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowie

"owieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowieowie" indeed!. :ohmy:

Reminds me of when the ICU nurse yanked out the chest drain tubes (except she did a practice run, where she said, "Ian!! Now look at me! Take a deeeep breath... and hold it. This is just a practice. Now....." which in some ways made it worse, because I thought, "Uh-oh... this sounds really serious!" Luckily, it was over very quickly, and I was still on morphine...

I can't imagine waht this is like for you, Rob. It makes me sore just thinking about it, and sounds FAR worse than being cut down the middle with power tools. I hope this all ends up with a satisfactory solution for you.

Well, I randomly met a dude today while waiting in a lineup and he's had the same ankle fused.

Not with a Ti rod, but just with many long screws.

He's 31 and was thrown clear from his truck during a rollover.

His LH ankle was bent/broken 90' sideways like mine, but outwards instead of inwards.

He works as an instrument tech, so same types of jobsites as me (plant operator). Concrete, gravel, ladders, pipes, etc.

He said that he doesn't limp, doesn't wear a rocker shoe, he skiis, and works 12 hours per day on his feet no problem.

He also mentioned that he had a pedometer on one day at work and recorded 27km, assuming the pedometer was accurate.

Any way you slice it, that's long way to walk, and he said he's doing fine.

:fing02:

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm walking (slowly) again. Without crutch or cane. 8 weeks after surgery.

It's really goofy, kinda have to "learn" walking again. The convex shoes are helping. Ice or uneven ground is a challenge. It's like having a peg-leg almost. HARRRRRRRRRR!

It's really ugly walking in bare feet, like in the house. Lump-lump-lump goes the Lumpmonster!

I will have to get some indoor shoes that are also convex. Or maybe some sandals.

But the pain level is down at least 90%, which is good. It was almost unbearable previously, and getting worse.

Back to see the Orthodoc tomorrow, we'll see what he makes of the Xrays. Wish me luck.

Oh, and I have an electric shifter on the way, courtesy of a member over on ST.n. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Congrats on getting through the beginning Rob! It will only get better. I have a coworker that went through a very similar operation 2 years ago and is now even jogging occasionally. He wrecked his Harley 10 years ago and went through 8 years of pain before deciding to get the operation, he's very happy he did it and only wished he had done it sooner. You'll be back on the bike soon! :fing02:

It's like having a peg-leg almost.

Arrghh, Matey. :beer:

Oh wait, it's not talk like a pirate day. Glad its coming along. :cool:

Congratulations on surviving! Motorcycling is dangerous huh.

Looks like you are coming out of your accident, could be a lot worse, death, broken neck or back, amputation.... The bike did ok, pretty much superficial.

• Member Contributer

Well, I'm walking (slowly) again. Without crutch or cane. 8 weeks after surgery. ... But the pain level is down at least 90%, which is good.

... great to hear Rob - really good news :fing02:

Excellent news Rob. I know it's been a long hard road for you. Still can't believe you completely rebuilt the wreck, with a smashed foot, and mine is still in pieces...

:computer-noworky:

Excellent news Rob. I know it's been a long hard road for you. Still can't believe you completely rebuilt the wreck, with a smashed foot, and mine is still in pieces... :computer-noworky:

:laughing6-hehe:

786.jpg

Got a lot more to do before spring comes. Remove wheels, tires, brakes and bearings, have wheels powdercoated charcoal grey metallic to match wings on fairings, reassemble front wheel with new Galfer Superbike rotors and pads, install new/used rear tire I have in garage, find and fix funky ground block plug causing random FI light flashing and stalling, and new replacement ignition switch.

Oh yeah, and figure out how to mount this :comp13:

http://www.holeshot.com/shifters/ps3.html

• Member Contributer

Wow Rob, I missed all of this latest episode, need to check back here more often. I was just wondering if you'd managed to fix the stalling issue and came across this. Glad to hear the surgery went well and the pain is down. You'll be back riding again as soon as you put the bike back together, I can't see much of anything keeping you off that bike. :biggrin: and that's the way it should be. Again glad to hear things are going well and keep us updated, I'll see you in Nelson. :fing02:

Wow Rob, I missed all of this latest episode, need to check back here more often. I was just wondering if you'd managed to fix the stalling issue and came across this. Glad to hear the surgery went well and the pain is down. You'll be back riding again as soon as you put the bike back together, I can't see much of anything keeping you off that bike. :biggrin: and that's the way it should be. Again glad to hear things are going well and keep us updated, I'll see you in Nelson. :fing02:

Thanks Paul. As for the bike, I've not looked at it since I parked it. Sta-Bil and the Battery Tender, and that's it.

But I have bought some more goodies for it, and have an idea as to where to look for the stalling/FI light problem.

According to some VFRd folks, my problem should lay in the common ground block to the left of the battery, inside the wiring harness. Hopefully they are right. :fing02:

Archived