Titanium Connecting Rods, Oh My! (Update 21/1/14)

May the crack in your penis talus (sorry, I don't know 1 bone from the other)

heal better and stronger than new. :goofy:

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, It's been almost 12 weeks since the surgery and I don't have to wear the stoopit boot anymore, so to celebrate, I changed my avatar.

<-------

First physio appointment on Thursday, and a CT scan coming up in a week or so, and pending the (good?) results of the CT scan, I may be able to begin ramping up the weight bearing immediately afterwards.

Still walking in the pool, and inching closer to the shallow end every time. :biggrin:

Good luck Rob!!

Maybe you can strap those new gold boingers to your leg for a bit to help with the weight bearing. :biggrin: Might have to adjust spring rate and rebound damping a bit though... :blink:

Good luck Rob!!

Maybe you can strap those new gold boingers to your leg for a bit to help with the weight bearing. :biggrin: Might have to adjust spring rate and rebound damping a bit though... :goofy:

Funny you should say, I had them out of the box yesterday and was bouncing them on the floor a bit. Boingy-boingy-boingy! :blink:

Good luck Rob!!

Maybe you can strap those new gold boingers to your leg for a bit to help with the weight bearing. :blink: Might have to adjust spring rate and rebound damping a bit though... :goofy:

Funny you should say, I had them out of the box yesterday and was bouncing them on the floor a bit. Boingy-boingy-boingy! :goofy:

:goofy:

Would make a cool cane too, just a bit heavy for that... you could call it your 7th gen cane! LMAO! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Good luck Rob!!

Maybe you can strap those new gold boingers to your leg for a bit to help with the weight bearing. :idea3: Might have to adjust spring rate and rebound damping a bit though... :goofy:

Funny you should say, I had them out of the box yesterday and was bouncing them on the floor a bit. Boingy-boingy-boingy! :idea3:

:goofy:

Would make a cool cane too, just a bit heavy for that... you could call it your 7th gen cane! LMAO! :laugh:

Gotta do it!!!

What weight and brand fork oil would you use???

Thanks all, I was in the pool today doing deepwater walking.

Doc wants one more MRI so he can check on a crack in the talus that he's concerned about and if it looks OK, he'll give me the OK to ramp up the weight bearing on dry land.

It's slowly improving. Now go and hassle Kevin, he's twice the target I am! :blink:

WooHoo, congrats on the progress Rob! :biggrin:

Keep it up brotha!

BR

• 1 month later...

Saw the BoneDoc yesterday, the December CT scan indicated that the talar neck fracture has not closed up completely, he's not 100% happy with it.

He wants to do a bone graft from my tibia, but I asked him if it would hurt/help if we gave it more time and he said sure, let's wait and see.

Also, in a month, I'm getting the single long nail seen in my Xray removed, plus he's going to 'scope the ankle joint to remove a tiny shard of bone that's floating around in the joint. Apparently he missed a little broken piece during the surgery. It's small, but he wants to get rid of it.

post-554-125877080117_thumb.jpg

The good news is it doesn't really hurt, so he said that is promising, if it truly was nonunion, it would be giving me pain with every step and it isn't, aside from the long nail flexing inbetween the two bones.

Also, no sign of AVN, so the bone isn't dying, although that can take a couple years to set in.

May still be looking at total fusion in 3-5 years time, dunno.

• 2 weeks later...
Whatcha gonna do when the well runs dry

you gonna run away and hide

I'm gonna be right by your side

for you, pretty baby, I'd even die.

I'm walkin', yes indeed! :goofy:

Even if it was only across the kitchen and back. :fing02:

Surgery, round III, Feb 8th, wish me luck! :goofy:

Surgery, round III, Feb 8th, wish me luck! :angry:

I don't really believe in luck, Rob, but I wish you all the best, and I'll pray that the surgeon does a great job and all goes well for you.

• Member Contributer

Well done Rob, glad to hear the recovery is coming along as it should and good luck with the next surgery, hopefully it all works out like it should and you wont need the ankle fusing. "finger crossed" for you. And the :angry: 's on me when I see you this summer. smile.gif

• Member Contributer

I'm walkin', yes indeed! :beer:

Even if it was only across the kitchen and back. :angry:

Surgery, round III, Feb 8th, wish me luck! :angry:

Good news! :fing02: And good luck!

• Member Contributer

Good news - well done and all the best for the forthcoming op!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got out of the Horsetable this aft. sad.gif

Removed the plate on my tibia, the long nail that went through the tib/fib and all the other screws on the tibia. :idea3:

Still have all 4 screws in the talus bone though.

Pain wasn't much yesterday, but it's settling in today all right. :fing02:

Doctor is still seriously talking about total fusion in 2-3 years time.

Might need one of these by then:

PingelElectricShifterKits.jpg

Doctor is still seriously talking about total fusion in 2-3 years time.

Hey Gimp, glad to see some progress with ya!

Now don't go getting all depressed about a possible fusing of your ankle! I went through the same thing when they first told me that Total Fusing would be the most likely option in the near future.

First off that all depends on you, your body and how much pain there is or that you can endure. Some people like you and I will be told "FUSE" is the only option looking at X-rays, but end up running all over the place with basically normal use.

The other side in the worse case scenario if Fusing is actually needed, which is almost always based on the amount of pain you can(Can't) take with movement.

The thought of a fused left ankle not allowing me to shift or ride again overwhelmed me instantly and was one of the Only times Depression took hold of me! :fing02:

Then I get a call from a Good friend who I've ridden with often and done many track days with says to me "hey what's the big deal, both my ankles are fused and I do everything you do!" :wheel:

This completely deflated my depression over the subject and let me just try to get as healthy as possible and see what my body can do for me down the road and No Longer Focus or worry about any possible future Fusing.

No matter what happens this will Not prevent you from the Pure Joy that Riding provides us!

Ride On my brother, treat your body good and be positive about your future!

The only real depressing reality for you is that you'll always be Slower than me! +1.gif

BR president of gimps united. tongue.gif

Thanks Kev. I'm not really banking on the Fusing, of course I'd like nothing better than to prove him wrong. +1.gif

But I won't really know until 2012 or so...... :wheel:

The only real depressing reality for you is that you'll always be Slower than me!

Well, I WAS going to let you ride my bike again, next time we meet, but after that, I dunno anymore. tongue.gif

Archived