Metzeler Z6 Vs. Michelin Pilot Road 2

Guest Mobius

Guest Mobius

After 30,000 miles on the Metzeler Z6 tire, I have finally decided to try a Michelin Pilot Road 2 on the rear. Got up at 4:30 this morning to seriously put it through the paces. No cars, no law enforcement … just me and 120 miles of twisties ranging from poorly paved sweepers to freshly paved back-to-back S-turns. (Oroville Quincy Highway / Highway 70 loop out of Oroville for those who live in northern California)

When the bike was new, I immediately swapped out the Dunlops that came on the bike for Z6’s. For super-slab touring and 8+ hour days in the saddle, the Z6 is plush. For sport riding, the tire is competent, but one that must be mastered to ride fast. The limits of adhesion are easy to feel. It comes on fairly quickly when cold, and really only performs well (i.e. with total confidence) when it’s over 85 degrees outside. I found that riding the Z6 at its limits requires strength and agility. All of the weight if off the seat and on the pegs with strong core strength (back & stomach) to hold the bike at just the correct lean angle to keep it on the tire’s sweet spot. Moving slightly outside the sweet spot at speed was not confidence inspiring.

The PR2 on the other hand made going fast through the turns effortless. I matched the same speeds as the Z6 without breaking a sweat. It was stable, rolled evenly, and I never got close to reaching its limit of adhesion throughout all lean angles. When I decided to wick it up through the race track like sections of new paving, all I can say is wow! Confidence inspiring and way faster than I like to go on the street. The Z6’s topped out in the turns as any little bump would move the lean angle out of the tire’s sweet spot, but the PR2 was rock solid up to and past sane street speed. My only complaint of the PR2 is that it seems harsher than the Z6 for touring, but my stiffer than normal rear suspension setting probably has something to do with that.

I like the PR2 much better than the Z6, and at the same time feel a little nostalgic for the tire that the VFR and I essentially grew up on. I’ve been driving BMW cars for 30 years and the new models are with out a doubt powerful and great handling machines. But having grown up on the 70’s era BMW 2002, I still have fond memories of the visceral feel of being able to push a car to its limits. Call it old school, but I feel the same way about the Z6.

I've put alot of miles on z6 setups also.

The key thing with the road 2 rear, its a full 50% more life than a z6 rear, so what ever you get on a z6 rear, expect 50% extra. Thats really the only reason I run the road 2 rear , is the life and still offers great traction. I dont run the fronts though, Ppower only.

While I havent used a Z6, I absolutely love my PR2. All the grip I can ever need, and at 4200 miles on the rear so far, this thing has ALOT of life left. No flat spot, almost looks like it did when I got it installed. Im a believer for life.

• Forum CEO

I found the limit on the Z6's and when I wasnt expecting it, more often than I would have liked to. I spooned on some Michelins not soon after violent slip that nearly highsided me on the Highway of Ledgends some 120 miles from home I still had alot of tread left but I was done. I have not come close to the limit on the PR2's yet but I once cooked a set of Powers so bad they felt like z6's on my trip to California, but that was only after 3000 miles and tearing up Skaggs Springs road the day before. I would get in a good slip on every single ride I took on those darned Metzlers! I just dont trust them at all. I have slipped a few times on the PR2s as well but always for a reason, painted white lines, gravel in a turn, or run over a rock - stuff like that, but those z6's would just slip if the darned wind blew too hard? I converted to Michelins 2 years ago and never looked back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I was running Z6's as well before my PR II's.. I was losing the ass end all the time.. Didnt care for them that much but I did put some serious miles into them..

• Member Contributer

When I bought my '04 this spring it had the stock tires on with some decent tread on 'em. When I first started riding it the feedback from these tires was horrible, absolutely no confidence in them what so ever, constantly felt like they were going to let go the road. I sh_t canned them for some PP2ct. I've since put on about 7k miles, the center is worn and flatting out, but they still hold the corners with complete confidences. I'm going to be getting new tires pretty soon and am pretty sure I going to the PR2, but I have to say I am totally satisfied with the PP2ct's. If the PR2's wear at the same rate, I think I'm just going to figure on new tire(s) every 3-4k miles at lest the rear anyways.

Just a quick question???

This review on the Z6's vs PR2's.

Are we talking about the OLD Z6's or the NEW Z6's?

The OLD are the Roadtec Z6.

The NEW are the Roadtec Z6 Interact, which started phasing-in January of 2009.

Just a quick question???

That's a good point since tires change a good bit over time. :fing02:

hmm...I like the Metzler M-3's...really sticky. But they last a couple of thousand miles. Really happy compared to the Z-6's I used to have. Just my .2

Jimbo

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

PR2's rock. I push my chicken strips to the last 1/8 inch with confidence.

For the weight of this bike we ride and the capabilities of the bike you are hard pressed to find a better set of rubbers.

anyone else with a review of the 2 tires?

Road 2 s offer better grip and life , not really any reason to run the metzeler via that reason. IMO

Id say Ive run about 3 sets of z6 and 1/2 dosen road 2's,, Im exclusive to Original Ppower fronts only

Just a quick question???

Hey, the original Pilot Road was a horrible tire which I would Never own. No doubt the the PR-2 will outlast and out perform any Z6 new or old! IMO there's No Better Rear tire for grip, performance, life & Value than the PR-2 and I've run thru no less than 32 sets of tires on this VFR alone! :cool:

Someone mentioned the M3, good tire but extremely short life(better than M1). PP's gripped better and lasted longer. :491:

BR

PS almost any decent tire will be plenty good enough if you don't PUSH your bike! :fing02:

• 2 years later...

Just a quick question???

I'm back researching this largely due to a number of instances (although I'm not as good at putting it into words as the OP, thanks Mobius) with my newer Z6 Interacts where I got really unnerving slips when fully warmed up and really not leaning hard enough to be sliding the tires IMHO. Granted that I'm not on a VFR at the moment (current bike is a heavier 2004 Guzzi LeMans) but never experienced loss of traction like this on my 3G VFR even with modest street rubber (Conti Road Attacks, which performed nearly as well on the bike as the BT012SS).

I think on the basis of this I might have made an error recently replacing with a new rear in the same. Not only that, but there is a notable lack of confidence when cold on these tires, worse than the original Pilot Roads and I was no fan of those.

So to clarify the response, I don't think the Interact has been significantly different than the original Z6 in my experience.

• 3 months later...

I'm in need of new tires soon. Currently run the Z6s. Sounds like the Pilots are the way to go, but what front does everyone run specifically, the PP, PP 2CT, or the PR2? I'll go with the PR2 rears. Want more traction, and more life than the Z6s all around.

The Z6s are decent tires.

The Z8s, however, rock! The same leaning and sliding characteristics as the M3s, but much longer life span; especially on a heavy bike like the VFR. If ya like the Z6s, you're likely to love the Z8s.

I am leaning towards getting the Z8s too for my next set of tires. Up to now the PR2 is still my favourite. The Pirelli ST were almost as good as the PR2 but although they have plenty of tread left they are deteriorating quick where the PR2 performed well until I got to the wear indicators. Saw good reviews of the Z8 and want to try something new.

How Do you feel about mixing brand front to rear? I have the Metzlers now, and the rear is done, so I was going to go to the PR2 on the rear, and PP on the front, but I want to get my money's worth out of the Z6 on the front, it has at least 50% life left. Anyone with experience with this?

• Member Contributer

After having a flat on a brand new Bridgestone S20 at TexasMac (which I tried to plug but it let me down hallway across the Cherohala Skyway and I we could only find fix-a-flat to air it up.

Well, fix-a-flat has ingredients in it that will not allow a tire plug to seal. EVER.

So I now have on the rear a Pilot Power that I put on it at shop at 129 and 72 in Tennessee to finish the weekend.

So I have Bridgestone on the front and Michelin on the rear but I would probably not purchase a mismatched set at the same time.

Personally, the PP front PR2 rear combo on the VFR will both wear out about the same mileage. I would most likely replace the set as you have planned and set the Metzler front in the garage/closet/bathroom as a back up if you feel the tread is still good for decent mileage.

You will love the way the bike feels with new tires (especially a new front).

I recently trashed a rear tire to the point that there was a 2" wide strip of steel belt showing while out on a road trip a had to replace it with a different brand. My front is a Z8 and the back was replaced with a Battlax (the only 180/55 the only dealer in town had). The two tires hated each other; jsut fricken hated each other.

Where the Metzeler has a very rounded profile and likes to be eased into a lean, the Bridgestone has a much flatter profile and likes to fall into turns. So, the wheels wanted to move against each other; it sucked. Although the combination of tires wasn't unrideably horrible, it certainly wasn't confidence inspiring. Once I got a new Z8 for the back, the handling of the bike was drastically transformed. So much so that I threw some sparks off my foot peg while scrubbing the tire in on the first ride :)

I'd stay away from mixing different brands of tires if I was you...

Ordered a full set of the pilots. Bank account be damned. Anyone need a Z6 front cheap? Just pains me to throw away something still good. Pilots were on sale though, so wasn't too bad.

On another note, my rear wears more on the left side than the right. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm guessing it is because of the road crown, but could this be some sort of alignment problem? Or I just make more left hand turns. I mostly ride commuting.

Archived