159 members have voted

1. 1. Type of Problem

• Electrical (take your pick...)
    • Motor (valves, etc.)
    • Tires (cupping, etc.)
    • Body (fairing, ...)
    • Cooling system
    • Suspension
    • Fuel system related (carbs, tank, etc.)
    • Clutch
    • Wheels (bearings, hub, etc.)
    • With aftermarket parts only
    • With LEOs...
    • Unidentified
    • Too many to list here...
    • Nerver had a single one!
    • Couldn't learn to wrench since it does not break down!
    • Brakes! (ABS or not)
  2. 2. What generation do/have you own/ed?

• 6th
    • 5th
    • 4th
    • 3rd
    • 2nd
    • 1st? (lucky bastage!)
    • 7th? (in your dreams maybe...)
  3. 3. Would you own another VFR despite the problems you may have had?

• No, never!
    • Yes! Anytime baby!!
    • Not sure, I may opt for a DN-01 instead! :)

• Member Contributer

Hello all,

We all know that no bike is completely flawless--yes, even BMWs and all (ask me how I know...). Anyway, what is more interesting is to know what are the problems related to a specific model. I am not sure this exists anywhere on this website, so here it is: a poll on problems related to Honda VFRs.

This will likely confirm what some of you already know, but it will inform new owners.

If you do not see a category in this poll and you think it is worth adding it, let me know and I'll add it --you can come back later and vote properly.

Happy voting!

PPM

Nice idea for a poll, PPM. smile.gif

I agree there is no perfect bike. Some are more problem-free than others, but I'd guess VFRs are better than average.

• Member Contributer

Hmmm, what's my VFR problem? Let me think... Oh yeah, I can't share stranded on the side of the road stories with Harley guys.

• Member Contributer
Hmmm, what's my VFR problem? Let me think... Oh yeah, I can't share stranded on the side of the road stories with Harley guys.

Funny. Similar category added.

PPM

• Member Contributer
Hello all,

We all know that no bike is completely flawless--yes, even BMWs and all (ask me how I know...). Anyway, what is more interesting is to know what are the problems related to a specific model. I am not sure this exists anywhere on this website, so here it is: a poll on problems related to Honda VFRs.

This will likely confirm what some of you already know, but it will inform new owners.

If you do not see a category in this poll and you think it is worth adding it, let me know and I'll add it --you can come back later and vote properly.

Happy voting!

PPM

You dont have a brakes category

To bad you cant seperate GEN's with certain problems

• Member Contributer
Hello all,

Happy voting!

PPM

You dont have a brakes category

To bad you cant seperate GEN's with certain problems

Forgot brakes! I'll put it in right away. But yeah, it's hard to separate the gens and the problems. Thought about it, but unless I want to duplicate each problem, it can't be done. I'm relying on people's messages to let us know which gen had which problem.

ppm

• Member Contributer

The only issues I've really had with my 2005 6th Gen are electrical, and I've been stranded twice because of them. The first was a fried stator 200 miles from home, and I spent quite a lot of money getting it home. Thankfully I had the extended warranty and the stator was replaced at no cost. The second was this weekend 50 miles from home, and it ended up being a toasted starter relay and connector. Luckily the dealer had the relay in stock, so I was able to get the bike home.

To be honest, I really like this bike as a daily commuter and sport tourer, but these electrical issues are ridiculous. Given my feelings after this weekend, I'm really not sure I could recommend the VFR to anyone unless they understand that serious electrical upgrades are needed to prevent future problems.

For a 14 year old bike, my RR replacement and a few sets of cupped front (Dunflops) tires, I would say that the bike has been mostly trouble free and has not left me stranded anywhere ever (thanks to the voltmeter I added that detected the dying original RR).

Now with Michelin PR2CTs (Anything other than Dunlops from this point on) and the updated, finned RR on the bike, I should see another mostly trouble-free 14 years!(?)

As for buying another VFR, I gave a conditional yes response. It really depends on what Honda does to the next generation VFR.

what would convince me to buy another new one are:

1) More modern, fully adjustable suspension, front and rear.

2) Modern brakes (at least 4 pot calipers in front.

3) Lighter weight.

4) Long shot, but...Gear driven cams (flame suit is on!).

5) Updated looks and more colors (US).

That's it!

Beck

95 VFR

I voted 6th Gen, Electrical problems, & Not Sure.

Why not sure? Because, while I understand nothing can be perfect, I feel that most of the electrical issues

are due to inexcusably poor design and/or component choice. Honda needs to figure out that these systems

are important and require more attention.

• Member Contributer

I guess I should put in my own report. I had electrical problems, with te blue connector that had corroded terminal. I should also replace one of the wiring harnesses, the one that goes under the tank because some of its connectors are smashed--it was a rebuilt... Other than that, my 6th gen VFR is performing pretty good.

ppm

For what it is worth I have sold 2-3 times as many VFRness for the 98-99 as I have the 02+, even with many more 02+ models on the road. 00-01 has had the fewest VFRness sales, with 90-97 being behind because I just finalized the design there with an actual live test mule.

Personally my 02 had electrcial problems starting, and has noisy timing gear and a stuck T-stat...but that is all.

Blown fork seal.

I could have said Phantom PCIII issue, but I've yet to tinker with the mapping.

Oh, and the original wire harness smoked under warranty at the headlight plug, (which I think I was responsible for.... :laugh: )

so maybe we'll call that one a wash. :blink:

Greg :blink:

My poll answer was electrical. Both relays (engine stop and fuel cutoff) in the front cowl went bad, but it might not have been their fault since I screwed up while jump-starting the bike once last summer. sad.gif

Otherwise I've only had one minor issue, and that was a bad brake light switch, which was cheap and easy to replace.

As for whether I'd buy another VFR...I absolulely would - and I have no problems suggesting VFRs to others.

• Member Contributer
My only problem on my 6th gen is fuel related. Seems the throttle sticks wide open alot of the time...

picture proof...

:blink: :laugh: :blink: LMAO!!!

ppm

• Member Contributer
You missed the category: Your buddy who asked you how to do everything. I know one like that.

SG

I have no idea what you're talking about :ph34r: , and this category is not, I repeat, NOT going to get posted. Are you sure I forgot it? :blink: :blink:

:laugh:

ppm

• Member Contributer

If one can define problem to mean the heat built up between one's legs to the point the eggs start to cook then I would say cooling issues. Other than that, I tend to create my own problems for the VFR as opposed to the other way around. :blink:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

This poll was locked for a little while, so I thought I'd give it a little bump to see if more people are interested in voting or in seeing the results of the vote so far.

Cheers! :ph34r:

For a 14 year old bike, my RR replacement and a few sets of cupped front (Dunflops) tires, I would say that the bike has been mostly trouble free and has not left me stranded anywhere ever (thanks to the voltmeter I added that detected the dying original RR).

Now with Michelin PR2CTs (Anything other than Dunlops from this point on) and the updated, finned RR on the bike, I should see another mostly trouble-free 14 years!(?)

As for buying another VFR, I gave a conditional yes response. It really depends on what Honda does to the next generation VFR.

what would convince me to buy another new one are:

1) More modern, fully adjustable suspension, front and rear.

2) Modern brakes (at least 4 pot calipers in front.

3) Lighter weight.

4) Long shot, but...Gear driven cams (flame suit is on!).

5) Updated looks and more colors (US).

That's it!

Beck

95 VFR

And some sort of NACA Ducts ....

5th gen.

LEO problems. Nothing major, but tickets suck. :dry:

Yes I'd buy another. LEO problems aren't the bikes fault, it's an environmental issue.

I'm all for cleaning up the environment. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I've had my fair share of the VFR experience. Put a lot of work into the 5th gen I own right now. I won't buy another one because I'm not getting rid of this one.

Gen I:

-Fork seals (fixed by zip-tying shop rags to the fork legs to keep the oil off of the brakes)

-Transmission pops out of 2nd gear (replaced whole engine)

-Exhaust rusted through (not fixed...yet.)

-Stock rear suspension an abomination

-Clutch master cylinder leaked (rebuilt w/ $27 kit from Honda when I only needed 2 $.50 seals)

-Brittle front faring broken by suicidal bird

-A lot of parts NLA through Honda

-Neutral light comes on when clutch is pulled in and trans is in gear

-Starter switch failed (no headlight)

-TRAC system inop (no worries there)

-Intake boots cracked/dry rotted causing vacuum leak

-Choke plunger for #4 cylinder broke off

-Noisy timing chain

Why do I keep riding this bike, you ask? I'm kinda stuck with it for a while due to a conspicuous lack of disposable income. And I kind of like it. Oh well.

• Member Contributer
The only issues I've really had with my 2005 6th Gen are electrical, and I've been stranded twice because of them. The first was a fried stator 200 miles from home, and I spent quite a lot of money getting it home. Thankfully I had the extended warranty and the stator was replaced at no cost. The second was this weekend 50 miles from home, and it ended up being a toasted starter relay and connector. Luckily the dealer had the relay in stock, so I was able to get the bike home.

To be honest, I really like this bike as a daily commuter and sport tourer, but these electrical issues are ridiculous. Given my feelings after this weekend, I'm really not sure I could recommend the VFR to anyone unless they understand that serious electrical upgrades are needed to prevent future problems.

+1 My feelings of frustration have calmed a little since I believe I'm to blame for my electrical issues but I still haven't had a chance to ride the bike since my home made repairs. But, the fact that the 02 burst into flames while I was riding it make me a little sensitive to the electrical system problems.

The thing I can't figure out is how can Honda build a car that is so reliable you can drive it 200,000 miles and never put a wrench on it besides wearables. But, they can't wire up a bike with only head lights, tail lights, turn signals, and a fan? Everything else is bullet proof on the Viffer as far as I'm concerned but the problems do make me wonder why they can't build a bike to match the quality of their cars.

Kevin

Archived