159 members have voted

1. 1. Type of Problem

• Electrical (take your pick...)
    • Motor (valves, etc.)
    • Tires (cupping, etc.)
    • Body (fairing, ...)
    • Cooling system
    • Suspension
    • Fuel system related (carbs, tank, etc.)
    • Clutch
    • Wheels (bearings, hub, etc.)
    • With aftermarket parts only
    • With LEOs...
    • Unidentified
    • Too many to list here...
    • Nerver had a single one!
    • Couldn't learn to wrench since it does not break down!
    • Brakes! (ABS or not)
  2. 2. What generation do/have you own/ed?

• 6th
    • 5th
    • 4th
    • 3rd
    • 2nd
    • 1st? (lucky bastage!)
    • 7th? (in your dreams maybe...)
  3. 3. Would you own another VFR despite the problems you may have had?

• No, never!
    • Yes! Anytime baby!!
    • Not sure, I may opt for a DN-01 instead! :)

Electrical (charging) problems are the only thing I can really fault the bike for as far as reliability...it really really irks me too, such a great bike plaqued by electrical problems Honda should have never allowed to happen....on that note there are other faults but they are ones most of us knew about before purchase ie: Down on power, heavy, (cheap suspension(non adjustable)...and on the 5th gen Dumbo blinkers!!!! But there is NO PERFECT BIKE and the VFR comes as close as I have found....I would and do alot, recommend others to try the VFR...I dont know if I'll buy another one yet...I have a few bikes on my list to try out..but so far the VFR is on my top 5 list of bikes

6th gen, only problem I've had is a stuck tstat. Like everyone else there is a list of things I'd like to change, but if you bought the bike like that you really can't fault the bike. I've only managed to rack up 24K miles in 2 and a half years, but so far I'm pretty happy.

Action

• 3 months later...

6th gen, electrical.

will have to get back to you on what kind.

i bought it and only rode it for two hours.

it's now been in the shop for two weeks :biggrin:

i am still happy i bought it, but when i get it back it owes me some time before i can give a glowing report :biggrin:

If one can define problem to mean the heat built up between one's legs to the point the eggs start to cook then I would say cooling issues. Other than that, I tend to create my own problems for the VFR as opposed to the other way around. :biggrin:

Ride an ST1300 for a while. VFR's do not get hot. It's all relative.

I've had a few problems with my '86, but I'll have to preface it by saying its been through a lot (of owners).

First off I had to replace the clutch because the primary drive tensioning gear broke and chipped/bent several clutch drum gear teeth (I collected all the tensioning gear pieces and now it's a great conversation piece on my desk).

It's always had jetting problems, but I'm up to 28mpg now.

The exhaust for the tank that lets air in is blocked somehow (I'll take responsibility for that one), creates a vacuum that the fuel pump can't overcome so the bike stalls.

Sometimes on starting the engine locks up and the starter can't turn it over anymore. Happened last Friday and stranded me at work, came back the next day to take the clutch cover off and turn the engine by hand. This is the worst problem because it only happens occasionally and is not an easy fix.

But my '95 has run without flaw :biggrin: , except for that time it couldn't find any more gas in the tank (probably because there wasn't)

I cooked the OEM regulator/rectumfryer years ago and got the upgraded beefier one with a better heat sink. Alles gud, mit ze electric now, ya.

Currently I only have maintenance/wear issues: the rear shock is shockingly horrible. The steering bearings are notched and I prolly need new brake pads which will call for a caliper teardown and rebuild. Might as well drain and flush the forks while I'm at it huh? :biggrin:

Oh year - and tire wear is a big problem. I can't seem to get a pair to last more than 4k miles if that :laugh:

Othern' the basics, my Rojita has been stellar in every way. She's never said no when I'm willing and she doesn't care if I've shaved or not. And that's more than I can say about- oh never mind :biggrin:

Archived