Gps Mounting - Confused!

cbar

• Member Contributer

Hi All,

I've been browsing through the various GPS mounting threads here, and I'm a little overwhelmed - so much info!

Backing up, I've just got a new-to-me Garmin Quest2...and I have a 3rd Gen - a 1990. So I see the various ways that people mount them seem to be:

1 - Using the RAM handlebar mounting kit, but rather using the tank bolts. From looking at my tank, I can't see the bolts - so I don't think this will work for my 3rd Gen.

2 - Standard RAM handlebar mounting kit.

3 - RAM clutch/brake reservoir kit...just to confirm - is this different to option (2) above?

4 - A stem mount...when I "build" the RAM kits available for the Quest2, this is one of the motorcycle options that comes up:

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/Pa...85/Default.aspx

So far, I'd say #4 and #3 are my preferred options. #4 for the symmetry aspect - seems like this is the next best thing to mounting on the tank bolts?

Any thoughts / pics are much appreciated!

• Member Contributer

I have the stem mount and I dont really like it. It comes with a bolt and coned rubber that you cut to fit. Will the whole thing went through my stem hole, so even tightening the bolt a lot, its still loose.

Plus EVERYTHING thats metal on my bike gets hot so the rubber just heats up and makes it even more loose. Its gotten better but you can still wiggle the mount. The best thing to do is try to get a threaded rod all the way through the stem with a washer and nut at the end.

My camera mounted to it vibrates so I wouldnt put something too heavy on it.

I use a ram mount, mounted to the front 2 tank bolts... dunno why you cant see yours?

Mine has a centred ball for the mount and a bolt hole either side, it is not the standard one supplied with the Garmin (Zumo)

AB-Oz, CBAR is running a 90 - I think that tank has a pivot at the front, and there are actually no exposed bolts as in the 5th and 6th gen.

See the Ron Ayers online fiche:

90 Fuel tank

Chris - you might consider getting a stick on device to mount on the front centre of the tank - then mount your Ram setup to that. I know people that have attached a piece of plastic via adhesive/tape - to a dash - then use a suction device to attach the ram mount to.

• Member Contributer

I also use the stem mount and have noticed shake and vibration. I can't make it any tighter and it still moves even with a short "stick". I think I'll switch to the tank bolts.

I've had good luck with the QUEST 2. I wanted a basic unit to start with and GPS is changing so fast I didn't want to all out until I knew what I was getting into.

Good luck with not getting lost any more...

• Member Contributer

OK, if people no-likey the stem mount, then maybe the brake fluid reservoir is the way to go....

I still wonder if the car windshield suction mount that came with the unit wouldn't just suction to the tank...

• Member Contributer

I'll be interested in your final mounting solution.

I just picked up a TomTom Go90 and have been wondering on some mounting options.

Yes, I'm on a 6th gen, but the insite into handle bar vibration vs tank mount is intersting.

OK, if people no-likey the stem mount, then maybe the brake fluid reservoir is the way to go....

I still wonder if the car windshield suction mount that came with the unit wouldn't just suction to the tank...

When in my car, I use the suction cup mount. On a couple of occasions the mount has dropped off the windshield - but it usually happens only AFTER many weeks of attachment - in dramatically changing temperatures.

Good thing the Zumo is rugged.......

If you do the suction cup mount - find a way to attach a "safety" retaining string/rope/wire to the GPS and or the mount.

I have the RAM stem setup on my 92 VFR750 (should be same setup as yours cbar). No issues with the rubber expansion thingy getting loose. Although when I cut it down, I thought "no way is this thing going to expand enough". But I snugged it down and I can't yank it out of the steering stem. I have a Nuvi 360 and my only regret is not getting the short arm. I purchased the standard arm and it allows a little too much vibration into the setup.

I can email you pics if you want. Just PM me.

hth,

Roger

before1n.th.jpg clmnt.th.jpg 41952981.th.jpg

clipon mount ------------- close-up ------------------- stem mount.

I used to have the GPS mounted to the left clipon using a longer bolt (60mm?), with the ram mount clamped between two washers and nuts. But because of the weight of the GPS and the extension arm being in a more horizontal than vertical position, the GPS would slowly sag when riding over less than smooth roads. A friend donated me his obsolete (custom made) steel stem mount and and with the extension arm being in a more vertical position it does a perfect job in supporting the GPS.

• Member Contributer

I suggest you use the clutch perch mount. You simply remove two bolts, add spacers, add mount, and use provided bolts. Buy the one with one ball on top. Check clearance with fairing/windshield after installation by turning bars full-lock right.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/show.las...0FADCpSI38B5195

• Member Contributer
AB-Oz, CBAR is running a 90 - I think that tank has a pivot at the front, and there are actually no exposed bolts as in the 5th and 6th gen.

See the Ron Ayers online fiche:

90 Fuel tank

Chris - you might consider getting a stick on device to mount on the front centre of the tank - then mount your Ram setup to that. I know people that have attached a piece of plastic via adhesive/tape - to a dash - then use a suction device to attach the ram mount to.

I personally woulnd't use a suction cup on the bike. I have had mine fall off twice in the car !!!!!!!!oops didnt see your post Ken

• Member Contributer

Good points Ken...I also realized that this approach will interfere with the tank bag on longer trips...taking the tank bag on and off for fueling is enough of a PITA as it is, so the more cluttered the tank, the more PITA I will have....!

When in my car, I use the suction cup mount. On a couple of occasions the mount has dropped off the windshield - but it usually happens only AFTER many weeks of attachment - in dramatically changing temperatures.

Good thing the Zumo is rugged.......

If you do the suction cup mount - find a way to attach a "safety" retaining string/rope/wire to the GPS and or the mount.

From all that I have researched, the RAM mounts are the best way to go. You can use the brake top plate, handlebar, stem, or the two tank bolts. RAM makes good stuff and comes with a lifetime warranty...

Can anyone give me the info needed so I can order a ram ball ( 1 inch ) that fits on the 2 tank screws of a 08' VFR........Thx...Monk

• Member Contributer
Can anyone give me the info needed so I can order a ram ball ( 1 inch ) that fits on the 2 tank screws of a 08' VFR........Thx...Monk

Here's the ball: Ball

This is what I used for my '99 tank bolts.

Thx for the info and Quick reply...........Now I'm off to order one............Monk

• 3 weeks later...

Thx for the info and Quick reply...........Now I'm off to order one............Monk

Not sure if it's too late, but the solution that worked for my 98 might work on 6th gen. I don't know how different the clip on setup is between the two bikes? After deciding the tank mount was too low and the steering stem mount was too flimsy, I went with a mount that attaches to the bolt that secures the left clip on.

I posted details and photos here: GPS mount in Modifications

I don't think you will be all that successful with a brake/clutch reservoir mounts. You don't have much clearance with the fairing at all.

I have the stem mount, and it took some experimenting to get it solid. I use a Garmin GPS60c and it's pretty solid.

• 5 months later...

I won a Garmin 76CSx a couple years ago and want to start using it on the bike. It's waterproof, so no worries there, but I have to download or buy a North American map card for it. After a lot of consideration, I think I'm going with the gas tank bolts mount and standard arm for my GPS unit.

In searching VFRD for awhile this morning, I think the linked mount is what I need, but can someone please verify that the width of the holes (center to center) for this mount works for the 6th gen. tank? The specs online are a little confusing and I'd like to be sure this is what I need before I order my set-up. Thanks!

Looks like an old thread but...

I've got thousands of miles on my Stemstand with a relatively heavy GPSMap276C. I like the center mounting because I don't lose any gauge visibility, and there are no issues with windscreen clearance...ymmv

Two questions:

1. How do you secure the GPS device to the stemstand platform - Velcro?

2. Do you leave the stemstand in all the time and just attach the Garmin when you need it?

I'd like to see a couple pix of your setup if have time to post them here. (Thanks in advance.)

• Member Contributer

For those interested in a reservoir mount, here's my solution that allows a center position and allows full range of bar motion. Homemade from 1/8" thick aluminum anodized flat black, and a thin sheet of cork between the reservoir cover and trhe bracket. This is very stable in normal riding, and some slight vibration going over bumpy surfaces.

CIMG1437.jpg

CIMG1435.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi all. I made a simple mount from a 3mm alu plate. Easy to cut bend and twist. The navi(TomTom XL)sits with Velcro, easy and fast to mount and remove and no vibrations! I also made a sun and rain shield from a plastic box that just happend to fit. Position is superb, but needed to adjust the ignition key..

post-19382-126453623167_thumb.jpg

post-19382-126453625979_thumb.jpg

post-19382-126453628049_thumb.jpg

post-19382-126453630022_thumb.jpg

I used the tank bolts on my 2000. Used a small braket with a hole in the middle for this techmount. I get nervous about it flying out of there although it stayed put for 600 miles to NYC and back.

026-1.jpg

I also have a ram plate with two padded sides that close tighter on a rachet that I can use, but the tecmount is so small. I had zero problems with the 600 miles. Do youall think that the clip-holder that the gps came with will keep it in place?

Archived