Gps Mounting - Confused!

cbar

Do it like this:

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

1. Machine down a piece of aluminum rod so it barely fits inside the steering stem. Needs to be about 4" long. Drill and tap the center of the aluminum piece for the RAM ball.

2. Clean out the inside of the steering stem thoroughly with a piece of wire holding a small piece of rag with lacquer thinner. Make sure your front fender is covered so the lacquer thinner doesn't drip onto the front fender.

3. Coat the aluminum rod with J B Weld. Insert into stem.

4. Go to bed, get up the next morning and all is well.

• Member Contributer

I tried the stem mount and the tank bolts mount, both with a RAM arm to clear my tank bag, but didn't like having to look around and over the GPS to see my gauges. I now have my Sirius radio mounted on the left reservoir and my GPS on the right reservoir. Both clear the windscreen and my tank bag. With this arrangement, my gauges are easily visible at a glance.

RAM-HB1.jpg

med_gallery_12878_5047_82114.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have some questions that don't really merit their own thread so I'll hitch-hike onto this one. :goofy:

I've more or less decided on the Nuvi 550 (I have zero interest in spending over $500 on a map), and it seems to me that a rational placement is atop the clutch reservoir with the simple plate that replaces the res top with a top/ball. Simple, sturdy, well placed. I think.

And in my email discussions with Tightwad, the steering stem seems like a good spot for the power connection, along with a secondary powerlet outlet near the left knee for heated gloves/vest. A (12"?) conversion from SAE to Powerlet fixes the connection there.

So back to the steering stem: I am guessing that on the Nuvi 550 - as with all other Garmin units I suspect - the non-battery/charging power comes via a cig plugin. Not fitting the more elegant powerlet outlet that is designed to fit so elegantly into the steering stem.

What does everyone do??? Also: any comments on my comments otherwise?

I did something similar for the radar detector on my 98, hooked the cig lighter receptacle into the tail light wire. But now I want elegance (if possible and sort of cheap). I would like to plug the thing into the stem and avoid extraneous wires threaded through the tank and the seat. Now that I'm older and have an extra $27.50 to spend. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

here is the ram ball on my 84 (left side)

2095558810059045169lsTQDi_th.jpg

here is my 2007

2228944000059045169lTxhbt_th.jpg 2676906760059045169eFaqnz_th.jpg 2296717210059045169PmAcIB_th.jpg

the 2007 is a 1" toggle plug from ace hdwe I mounted a ram ball on. pretty stable and cheap. the challenge is to avoid blocking the gauges.

• Member Contributer

Here are three RAM options for a 5th Gen in one photo:

1. Handlebar mount off of reservoir ....Garmin's OEM mount for the Zumo
  2. Mount off the clip on
  3. Center tank bolt mount

2743930180099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here are three RAM options for a 5th Gen in one photo:

1. Handlebar mount off of reservoir ....Garmin's OEM mount for the Zumo
  2. Mount off the clip on
  3. Center tank bolt mount

2743930180099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I'm planning on switching to this. the plug in the center would let me loose the loose wires and NOT drill the faring.

There is another mounting option, one that makes sense to me: you can get a replacement cap for the reservoir that has a ball built in, no arm at all. It was pointed out to me in another thread here. Pic below.

But my actual question relates to the power source for power supply or for recharging. I think it makes sense to reserve the steering stem hole for this purpose. But I wonder if I should just stick a cig lighter recep in there, or a powerlet with some kind of adapter. It seems as if a powerlet recep would be more appropriate in terms of weather protection.

post-82-126555571545_thumb.jpg

• Member Contributer

There is another mounting option, one that makes sense to me: you can get a replacement cap for the reservoir that has a ball built in, no arm at all. It was pointed out to me in another thread here. Pic below.

But my actual question relates to the power source for power supply or for recharging. I think it makes sense to reserve the steering stem hole for this purpose. But I wonder if I should just stick a cig lighter recep in there, or a powerlet with some kind of adapter. It seems as if a powerlet recep would be more appropriate in terms of weather protection.

I bought one of those too .........ended up putting on my Wing instead as it did not give me enough clearance with the windshield on the VFR. Before you buy see how much room you have a full lock etc.

I bought one of those too .........ended up putting on my Wing instead as it did not give me enough clearance with the windshield on the VFR. Before you buy see how much room you have a full lock etc.

Very good point! I will try to figure that out before ordering. My bike does have a Secdem touring screen, so maybe there is more room there. Otherwise I would be safer getting something with an adjustable arm of some kind.

Thanks for the headzup! :fing02:

• 1 month later...

Here is my install on a Gen 4. Used the stem mount for the GPS. Had to whittle down the rubber cone to fit. The RAM mount works well although can't see tach below 3K RPM (not a problem as don't run in this range). GPS is a Garmin Nuvi 760. I use a Powerlet rig for power. Had to make a custom mount for the Powerlet plug.

One other option is to mount to your windscreen for a RAM bolt-on mount. This requires drilling holes in your windscreen. I might consider this if I had it to do over again.

post-3159-126917267995_thumb.jpg

• Member Contributer

I was able to solve the stem mount movement problem.... Ran this setup on 2 different bikes now with great sucsess. I'll post up some pics later... I can use the longest arm with no movement at all.... Just so you know for those who like the stem mount, There is a solution that works...

Cheers...

Aaron..

• Member Contributer

I was able to solve the stem mount movement problem.... Ran this setup on 2 different bikes now with great sucsess. I'll post up some pics later... I can use the longest arm with no movement at all.... Just so you know for those who like the stem mount, There is a solution that works...

Cheers...

Aaron..

tease....

• Member Contributer

Some of these mounts are really innovative. I like the custom metalwork -I'm impressed by the inginuity and workmanship on many of them! I like to bend and cut aluminum stock for mounts myself. I've mounted an LED voltmeter, a Stebel Air Horn and my relocated R/R on fabricated mounts I built myself. That kind of stuff is fun.

But when it came to the GPS I went another route. Like the OP said, buying a Zumo waterproof unit is very expensive and there are plenty of other options out there in non-waterproof GPS's.

What I have is a cheap 200-series Nuvi -something you can find online now in the $85-95 dollar range. I don't use it much except as a reference when I want to know where I am in the world during my wanderings or need to find a gas station or grocery store or campground.

I had thought about a waterproof box sort of like this this and mounting it something like some of the people have suggested here. But I have a large tank bag which complicates some of the easier mounts, and I really don't like blocking the gauges.

In the end, I just plopped the GPS in the tank bag using some Velcro as mounts and it works very well for me. The tank bag is nearly completely water-proof. It does get a slight bit of condensation after a few days of riding in the rain but so far hasn't caused any issues with the GPS.

Reading the GPS requires a bit more of a LOOK DOWN than some of the nice mounts shown in this thread, which put them more at eye level. I don't really need/want a turn-by-turn GPS service that often unless I'm looking for gas NAOW! so it works for me. I was already used to using the route-sheet method of navigation in the tank bag, or using a map tucked in the map window, so the GPS is just a high-tech extension of that. It's just not as big as a map. The touchscreen works just fine through the plastic window of the bag -even with gloves on.

gpstankbag.th.jpg <--- Click on Thumbnail to see big picture.

Power comes through a cord that plugs into the outlets in my dash panel. I've got a video of how that is set up and it shows the GPS as well. I the outlet plug in the bag is a 3-way so I have 2 extra plugs to charge my phone or battery for my camera while I'm on the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5C1ZVC2P8E

Hi I mounted mine with a RAM mount to the clutch leaver. I did a powerlet to the steering stem and I have it mounted so I can turn it lock to lock without interference. I have one GPS that I use in my car and I ordered an extra plate so I can remove the GPS and pop in between vehicles. I have a Magellan GPS.

Hope that helps!

Jim

Some of these mounts are really innovative. I like the custom metalwork -I'm impressed by the inginuity and workmanship on many of them! I like to bend and cut aluminum stock for mounts myself. I've mounted an LED voltmeter, a Stebel Air Horn and my relocated R/R on fabricated mounts I built myself. That kind of stuff is fun.

But when it came to the GPS I went another route. Like the OP said, buying a Zumo waterproof unit is very expensive and there are plenty of other options out there in non-waterproof GPS's.

What I have is a cheap 200-series Nuvi -something you can find online now in the $85-95 dollar range. I don't use it much except as a reference when I want to know where I am in the world during my wanderings or need to find a gas station or grocery store or campground.

I had thought about a waterproof box sort of like this this and mounting it something like some of the people have suggested here. But I have a large tank bag which complicates some of the easier mounts, and I really don't like blocking the gauges.

In the end, I just plopped the GPS in the tank bag using some Velcro as mounts and it works very well for me. The tank bag is nearly completely water-proof. It does get a slight bit of condensation after a few days of riding in the rain but so far hasn't caused any issues with the GPS.

Reading the GPS requires a bit more of a LOOK DOWN than some of the nice mounts shown in this thread, which put them more at eye level. I don't really need/want a turn-by-turn GPS service that often unless I'm looking for gas NAOW! so it works for me. I was already used to using the route-sheet method of navigation in the tank bag, or using a map tucked in the map window, so the GPS is just a high-tech extension of that. It's just not as big as a map. The touchscreen works just fine through the plastic window of the bag -even with gloves on.

gpstankbag.th.jpg <--- Click on Thumbnail to see big picture.

Power comes through a cord that plugs into the outlets in my dash panel. I've got a video of how that is set up and it shows the GPS as well. I the outlet plug in the bag is a 3-way so I have 2 extra plugs to charge my phone or battery for my camera while I'm on the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5C1ZVC2P8E

gallery_8606_2086_117926.jpg

updated today with a power outlet and GPS mount

I tried the stem mount and the tank bolts mount, both with a RAM arm to clear my tank bag, but didn't like having to look around and over the GPS to see my gauges. I now have my Sirius radio mounted on the left reservoir and my GPS on the right reservoir. Both clear the windscreen and my tank bag. With this arrangement, my gauges are easily visible at a glance.

RAM-HB1.jpg

I use this same reservoir mount for my Garmin Quest 2 and love it. I use a stem stand for my V1 radar detector & camera(when used). :cheerleader:

I've used a GPS three or four times on my VFR - three of those times, I just stuck the car windscreen mounts under the windshield. It worked fine with our TomTom, but jiggled around too much with a Navman I borrowed from one of the software engineers at Navman (it's just down the road from home). The other time I stuck the windscreen mount on the speedo face - figured since the TomTom gave a more accurate speed reading, I didn't need to see it. If I was using a GPS on a longer trip, I'd use the tankbag, since I'd only need it occasionally to confirm a turning I was unsure about (NZ's too small to get very lost in, and I've ridden almost all of it anyway!) If I was using a GPS regularly, I think I'd go for a stem mount - less interference than either handlebar, and my left one's cluttered already. My power supply is a 1m cord with a waterproof cig lighter outlet on the end, stashed under my seat, and wired to my Blue Sea fusebox.gallery_3710_217_517791.jpg

Cockpit

gallery_3710_217_250930.jpg

Clutered cockpit This is a pic of when I first bought the VFR, and tried out a Navman on it one day. The power comes from a cigarette lighter socket connected to a Blue Sea fusebox (lower right of pic). The Navman's stuck on the underside of the windscreen with the car windscreen mount.

Archived