Pics Added - Seriously........ Seriously?!?

Guest Logicus

Guest Logicus

Well.

I don't know what to say.

As some of you know, I recently acquired my beloved 97 VFR750 with the payoff on my Hawk GT which was totaled when hit head-on by a Goldwing who skidded across the double yellow. Well, today, not 250 yards from my front door, I came to the intersection at the highway, and after waiting for everyone else to take their "turn" (I let the intersection clear out whenever turning their cause it's a funny intersection), I hadn't even gotten 10 feet from the stop sign when a van - from nowhere - I don't remember seeing turn signals, no one in the middle turn lane or anything as I am always cautiously watching for this - met me head on turning into the small strip mall next to my side road. A witness said I went over the handlebars ala-superman style into the windshield and then did a cartwheel higher than the top of the van to land on my back. And I do remember doing all those things. Pretty good hang time, too.

Immediately there were about 7-8 people all around me going through all the "lay-still"'s and "don't move!!!"'s while I lay there in the vital fluids being poured onto the road by my beautiful VFR. One guy was apparently a rider - I started to ask "how's the bike" and tried to get a view, he just replied, "she's gone, don't look." "Forks?" I asked; "yep, and just about everything else..." he replied.

I was laying there, more sad/angry about the bike. I really felt fine. I'd done this just about 6 months ago or so, and I really felt better than I did then. They carted me off to the hospital anyway to make sure... better safe than sorry I supposed. As expected, no broken bones, just a very sore left shoulder, my back's a little sore on the right side, but my biggest pain comes from my groin area from hitting the tank. My riding pants have a kind of rubber-ized crotch, which also gave me a great "indian-burn" kinda burn on the insides of my thighs. Nice.

So... just goes to show you that freaking ANYTHING can happen ANYTIME.

AND WEAR YOUR GEAR!!!! ALL OF IT!!!! I had on riding pants with all armor, a jacket with all armor - I'm sure the back protection helped when I came down almost 12 feet to land on my back. I came out with NOT A SCRATCH other than some (ok, a lot) of soreness that I'm looking forward to REALLY feeling tomorrow. ]

Be safe.

Oh well, I don't know what's gonna happen with the bike, the insurance, the possiblity of getting yet another (or should I learn my lesson?) motorcycle (which would most definitely would be another Gen4).

And my apologies to Schmumble (from whom I bought the bike) and VFORE (I got the awesome D&D can from him) for having had this happen. The cops wouldn't call who's fault it was, and I don't think I was at fault, but I know it sucks to send something you loved on to a new owner to see it get put down.

There'll be updates.

Sorry to hear about the bike, but as my dad says they make them everyday. I know not that paticular model, but at least your okay. May be some of the parts from your bike can give life to another VFR750.

• Member Contributer

Good report, Logicus......... damn glad nothing but bruises. I just bought a Forcefield back protector. Guess I better start wearin' it. Even around town, it seems............... sorry 'bout the bike, but you're ok and that's the important thing.

Have a couple o' :laugh: s.... it'll take the soreness away for a minute or two ! ! ! :fing02:

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

For someone this little testimony might have shined some light on how important the correct safety gear can be and WILL safe them. Sorry for your loss, but GLAD your OK. Hope you start feeling better soon and you find a good 4th gen.

God Bless

• Member Contributer

:fing02: that you're ok! Sounds like you had quite a few guardian angels with you today. Don't worry about the bike, maybe you can buy it back and rebuild into another FrankenViffer!

I went over the handlebars ala-superman style into the windshield and then did a cartwheel higher than the top of the van to land on my back. And I do remember doing all those things. Pretty good hang time, too.

Points off on form for not landing on your feet. :excl:

Seriously, it's good you've not broken bones or otherwise got torn up. :ohmy:

I hope the driver has good insurance and it all works out with as little pain as possible for you. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Really happy to hear that you are OK. You can get another bike. Sucks that it happened twice so close together. A wise man once told me to "ride like I was invisable". He had to explain this to me by telling me that if I always assume that the cagers do not see me then I would take the appropriate measures to assure that I would not be hit. This has worked for me on multiple occasions such as yeilding when I have the right of way and such. I'm sure you are cautious but every little bit helps. Good Luck.

Hey man, glad you're OK and don't beat yourself up over it. I did the same thing three weeks ago. I totaled my pristine 98 in June, bought a 2001 from a friend and then crashed it two months later. Sh!t happens - what can you do? I went four years with nothing before that. Look on the bright side, now you can move up to a fifth gen! wink.gif

• Member Contributer
So... just goes to show you that freaking ANYTHING can happen ANYTIME.

AND WEAR YOUR GEAR!!!! ALL OF IT!!!!

Going to lunch yesterday, I pull out on to the main street from work to be greeted with more than the usual backlog of traffic. Hmmm. A look up ahead to see at the next intersection (no light or stop sign on our direction), a couple of guys wheeling a triumph cruiser to the side of the road. Good news, traffic began to immediately flow so I know the rider isn't laying in the road. By the time I reached the intersection, the rider is now over to the side of the road with no gear (shirt, pants, and sandals!) and checking out his injuries including an impressive case of road rash while at the same time trying to thank all the folks who were helping him out.

I think he simply locked up the front end not anticipating traffic would stop so far back from the normal traffic light intersection much further up the road. With gear, he'd probably been on his way after checking out the bike for safety with no injuries other than soreness the next day.

Glad to hear you fared MUCH better in a MUCH worse accident. WORD

Man, great to hear that you are ok. An excellent testimony to AGATT!!!

On the other side, very sorry to hear about the bike. I wish you the best.

Wow. Sorry to hear about the bike but very glad you're OK. And of course that's the most important thing. Bikes can obviously be replaced, as you already know.

Maybe it's time for a different brand of motorcycle. Hondas don't seem to be working out for you. sad.gif :laugh:

Just kidding! You seem to have a great sense of humor, so hopefully you're laughing - but not too hard, as it would probably hurt.

Hope the van driver is found to be at fault and you get paid for your bike, gear and "physical and mental anguish"! :excl:

Thanks for all the responses!

Well, a little update.... not for the faint-hearted....

As I finally decided to get into the shower, I was shocked to find some massive swelling as a result of hitting the gas tank on my way towards the hood of the other car. Yay. So I had to go back to the hospital to check that out which involved getting an ultrasound by the ONLY female I interacted with the whole time I was at the hospital. I'm not ultra shy.... but still a great ordeal to go through after having been thru everything else. Extreme "saddle injury" is what the doc called... nothing damaged, just a severe hematoma where it hurts most. sad.gif Oh well, better a hematoma there than in the head!

Well, I'll still be lurking around a bit, but I think if I do get another bike, it wont be til spring 09... two head on collisions in one year is enough for me. I've been ultra lucky and am not gonna push it. Not mentally scared or anything, but Murphy's Law is something that I'm tired of dealing with for a while.

Thanks for the responses again, and yes, hopefully, after both of these wrecks, someone will wear that one or two extra pieces of riding gear (though, now, I'm wishing they put athletic supporters in riding pants). Haha.

Peace.

Thanks for all the responses!

Well, a little update.... not for the faint-hearted....

As I finally decided to get into the shower, I was shocked to find some massive swelling as a result of hitting the gas tank on my way towards the hood of the other car. Yay. So I had to go back to the hospital to check that out which involved getting an ultrasound by the ONLY female I interacted with the whole time I was at the hospital. I'm not ultra shy.... but still a great ordeal to go through after having been thru everything else. Extreme "saddle injury" is what the doc called... nothing damaged, just a severe hematoma where it hurts most. sad.gif Oh well, better a hematoma there than in the head!

Well, I'll still be lurking around a bit, but I think if I do get another bike, it wont be til spring 09... two head on collisions in one year is enough for me. I've been ultra lucky and am not gonna push it. Not mentally scared or anything, but Murphy's Law is something that I'm tired of dealing with for a while.

Thanks for the responses again, and yes, hopefully, after both of these wrecks, someone will wear that one or two extra pieces of riding gear (though, now, I'm wishing they put athletic supporters in riding pants). Haha.

Peace.

Bro, I know the feeling. I had the exact same problem, but did not fair as well as you did with other injuries. You are one lucky individual!!! The swelling in that area is more of a nuisance than anything else and will dissipate in a few weeks, but you are going to have lumps in your groin for awhile. You will think that everyone notices them, but if you wear jeans that are a bit loose, no one will. Outstanding that you have no serious injuries and best of luck dealing with the insurance folks smile.gif You will definately be in our thoughts and prayers!!!

• Member Contributer

Glad you are 90% ok!!!! The bike can be replaced.

I hear you on the u/s tech being female. I've had to have the boys checked before and it is a little unnerving!

Ice packs help!

-t

• Member Contributer

Oh My God. I've been whining like a little schoolgirl about my 05 which got bumped in a parking lot and I missed the Catskills Ride. But this is way different. It's good to hear you are NOT injured. Sorry about the VFR.

I can't imagine that you could have any more bad luck. It can't get worse - get another VFR!

Thanks for the advice for the gear - You just might be the resident expert on CRASH PROTECTION here on VFRD.

Man, that is definitely some bad luck. Sit on it for a while, but when you come back you know there's only one bike to get....wink.gif I think I'd be hunting down the van driver if that happened to me, but I've got a bit of a vindictive streak in me.

• Member Contributer

Glad you're OK. I'm in the same boat, looking forward to something shiny & new in the spring after my crash Saturday. Hooray for gear!

• Member Contributer

Man this sucks to hear that news, but I am glad your OK! I hope everything works out for you :biggrin: On the bright side you were able to enjoy your 4th Gen & you have video's

Gary

Yup, very sore today... I am lucky, though... I've known several over the years who were not so lucky. Had to go get the gps and camera and took a couple of pics. Poor VFR. sad.gif Much worse off than I. Thanks once again for the responses. I''m takin' my meds and takin' a nap now.

Oh, here's a couple of pics....

So THAT'S why my nyuts hurt so bad!

P1010276.jpg

DEFINITELY gonna need a new headlight.

P1010279.jpg

Forks: twisted a bit....

P1010278.jpg

Archived