Tire Choice

Guest Jfox855

I'm new to the VFRs (but have had Crusers for awhile) and need to replace the Dunlop 208's on the bike. I've read most of the tires reviews but still can't make up my mind. Some factors are I still have a cruser for when I want to feel like I'm sitting in an easy chair, so I want tires that perform well and will go 3000-4000 miles. I don't need a 10000 mile tire , but I figure I'll ride the VFR about 2000 miles a year aggressively, so I'm looking for two year tires. I like to stay dry, so no rainy days for me. What you guys(and girls) think?

• Member Contributer

Some of the more popular sport touring tires I've seen being used with the VFR are:

(In no particular order)

Avon Storm ST

Continental Road Attack

Michelin Pilot Road 2

I've heard good things about all the tires above and it seems they will all achieve your desired mileage as long as you don't ride super aggresive the majority of the time.

I got a smoking hot deal from http://www.derbycycles.com/ on the Michelin's. Getting them mounted soon and can't wait!

Regards,

Rollin

Pilot Road 2 CTs!!

The perfect tires for a "sporting gentleman's" bike that sometimes like to be "spanked" hard!!

Had Dunlop 208s before I got the PR2CTs and the handling difference is like Looney Toons to Handel's Messiah!

Like the ole 95 is new again!

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
I'm new to the VFRs (but have had Crusers for awhile) and need to replace the Dunlop 208's on the bike. I've read most of the tires reviews but still can't make up my mind. Some factors are I still have a cruser for when I want to feel like I'm sitting in an easy chair, so I want tires that perform well and will go 3000-4000 miles. I don't need a 10000 mile tire , but I figure I'll ride the VFR about 2000 miles a year aggressively, so I'm looking for two year tires. I like to stay dry, so no rainy days for me. What you guys(and girls) think?

I've had good luck with Michelin Pilot Powers and Pilot Powers 2CT

Jack

Without wishing to rain on the Michelin parade, and given the op comments on riding style and expected tire mileage, almost any current sport tire will meet his needs, imho.

As another fossil who enjoys what a sportbike can do, I've found Pirelli Diablos to be quite satisfactory in handling and mileage, and seem to be particularly VFR-friendly. They're plenty sticky for real world street riding, even at elevated pace, and can be found much cheaper and more easily than Michelin PR2s, for example.

Just my .02

I was quite happy with my Conti Road Attacks, much much much better than the D208's I took off. With that said, yeah lots of tires would likely suit you well. Pilot power is a great tire for all the time aggressive riding but it'll likely be done in 3000 miles of aggressive riding, but you'll have 3000 miles worth of fun smile.gif

I actually get the same mileage from a pilot power or bstone bto-20.

I like the powers for confidence. They just stick on the street. You can get 4k miles from a set.

I have actually had my knee down in the rain on pilot powers.

• Member Contributer

If you aren't going to ride in the rain, and don't care about mileage try the Pilot Power 2ct, Not to be confused with the Pilot Road 2ct.(which is my perfect tire for the VFR, as a sport touring bike) Very sticky, I loved the grip but only got around 2000 twisty miles out of the rear. I would worry more about the tire getting flat spots after sitting so much.

go pilot power on the front, pilot road 2 on the rear.

:offtopic: My next set!

I only run Power fronts

I just came off that set up though, proad 2's life is very good, Think of the most iron wearing tire you can think of and it still wont beat the life of the proad 2 , and that proad2 actually has performance too.

I've gone back to BT21 rear, which is quicker and stickier for final comparison, the road2 rear is a tire I would run again though.

Unfortunately by the time I got to rain test the Road2 it was in the last 20% of life , it was adequate but the Bt21 rear was a blast in the rain.

Anyway I look forward to riding My x wife again after fondling the proad2 for a couple months

Hi, I am running BT-021's both front and rear...I have 9075 miles (14700 kms) on the front and 3827 miles (6200 kms) on the rear...I'm Canadian so I see cold, wet and a little warmth (highs normally 70+ F) and the Bridgestones have kept up. I'm not an aggressive driver, so no knee dragging on the street....The front tire is nearing it's service limits, but still has servicable tread life and is still very stabil when pushed into corners, tracking is fine and straightline stability is still neutral...and no front tire cupping. The rear is still holding up very well and I would hope I have plenty of life left in it....last BT-021 rear I put 6000 miles (9200 kms) on it...In all I'm very impressed with this rubber, especially for the types of driving a routinely do...Be Safe, Ride Safe

Jeffy :offtopic:

Michelin pilot powers 2CT's I get about 4000 to 5000 miles out of them and they stick good in the dry and wet. I run nothing else on the street. On the track..... I like something with more stick.

Michelin pilot powers 2CT's try them.

the pilots seem to get most of the votes. you cant go wrong with them.

another tire to look at is the Continental SPORT Attack's. i have 4000+/- miles on mine, with a little life left in them.

• Member Contributer

I can't tell you what works good, but stay away from Metzelers. The factory tires that came on my bike suck. I can't wait untill I get enough milage on them to change them out. From the sound of you guys I might be picking up some of the Pilots myself.

• Member Contributer
I can't tell you what works good, but stay away from Metzelers. The factory tires that came on my bike suck. I can't wait untill I get enough milage on them to change them out. From the sound of you guys I might be picking up some of the Pilots myself.

Metzler makes some fine tires, just the MEZ4 (or whatever it was) is a POS.

• Member Contributer

Metzler makes some fine tires, just the MEZ4 (or whatever it was) is a POS.

i just removed a set of Z6 roadtech that IMO were shite...... my arse slid around like drunken fugure skater ever since i put them on... and the front always felt sketchy... could never put my finger on it. Played with the suspenders front and rear to try and get some better feel out of them.... Could never get it to feel "right"... running the pilot road CT2's now.... so far im VERY impressed.... i rode home from vancouver to Ontario on them and loved every minuite!!!

• Member Contributer

Pilot Road 2's First year that I made it all season with out havin to change tires. I installed tehm in Fall of 07 and they will last all the way to Summer. I am sure. I have at least 5K on the set and they are BARELY starting to show some age. And they handle very well.

I ran Pirelli Diablos on my Hawk GT and continued with the VFR (as did the previous owner), and I can't make myself change. You can get the rears for $125 and the fronts for under $100. I figure I will be replacing them once a year riding about 3500 miles a year on them. Mostly aggressive riding with maybe 30% - 40% slab commuting to work when I can. Otherwise all curves. I can only imagine what the Corsa III's are like... I just haven't been convinced to fork over the $$$!

Archived