Wingrack Installed, Now......?

timmythecop

Question

Just got a wingrack from turnera from this forum. Great deal and it went straight on. Now.....

what are yuour ideas on the bags to hang on them. The E21s are cheap and dont look too bad, but they are rather small. It would be ok to have a big set and a little set, but now were talking a large ammount of dough.

Do I get the E21 little guys and see how they are, or do I spend more and get some larger capacity bags?

What are your experiences with Givis? Please post any and all ideas, suggestions and reviews.

• Member Contributer
Just got a wingrack from turnera from this forum. Great deal and it went straight on. Now.....

what are yuour ideas on the bags to hang on them. The E21s are cheap and dont look too bad, but they are rather small. It would be ok to have a big set and a little set, but now were talking a large ammount of dough.

Do I get the E21 little guys and see how they are, or do I spend more and get some larger capacity bags?

What are your experiences with Givis? Please post any and all ideas, suggestions and reviews.

I went with an E460 top and E21s. I chose the 21s because they don't stick out noticeably further than my extended mirrors and I tend to split heavy city traffic. I'm not a long-distance tourer though.

The 360s for sides are nice, but to me just weren't worth the extra cash.

EDIT: If you're considering just side cases, I would def go with 360s.

• Member Contributer

I have 21's for side cases and they work great. I just did an 1700 mile ride with cloths in one case, tools and such in 2nd case. I had top box too, but just had water, snacks and my clear visor in it. If I ran into real bad rain I would of put my tank bag in the top case. I had these bags on my Bandit as well and the 21's work great for commuting. My latpop fits perfect in one side bag with a small laptop bag, and extra gloves, visor in the other.

My $.02

well, I couldnt wait any longer. I will gather the imput from you guys but in the mean time, I made my own bags. They are aluminium toolcases from Lowe's. 24.99 each and not too bad. They are not removable, but are only held on by 3 bolts per side. The top 2 bolts are right by the top, so the metal strap i placed on the inside sort of gives it some up and down support, so the weight is not on the boltholes only.

Not a long term solution (unless thay are a secret great idea), but for 50 bucks, I got bags. They will be painted flat black tommorow unless any outcry is noticed. Also, put the second, notched seat cowl on after the photos were taken, and it looks good.

for your harrasing comments, I give you.................

l_6099e79bebe08e639a6bdfbb1ba8a476.jpg

l_102c41ef3fdf9b8fd59a70f5c412bb02.jpg

l_462f6fa330811a3ce4afcaf8f4c8c68e.jpg

l_3b5062f7e93d5359fa4096ef2a6cd6d8.jpg

OMG, that's frikken hilarious!! I say leave'em silver & put some BMW "propeller" decals on the tank!!! Seriously! :biggrin:

I dont take ofense to that statement, as I am a BMW owner. I havent reached full weeniehood as of yet, and I do not have a beard or a Roadcrafter suit.

I guess I am about 3/4 weenie at this point.

I dont take ofense to that statement, as I am a BMW owner.

I'm glad, I meant it only in jest! :biggrin: I do think it would be funny, and I'm glad you do too! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

:biggrin: Well, it's really damn close to ingenious. That is, it's so close to a great idea that some one had to do it. I think they are funcionally very smart. visually, they are too square. I'm not sure if there is a way to break up the lines with a vfr graphic but the black paint is worth a try. I think you are on to something.

• Member Contributer

Looks like one of the cases I use when I go to the firing range... packing heat with junk in the trunk.

Just don't know how water resistant those will be.

• Member Contributer

I like them! Very clever. If they are leak-proof and there's a way to make them easily detachable, I think a lot of people would go this route.

does this view make my butt look big?

l_bb5048beae5ac3cfdb3eff778805d5f6.jpg

since the outcry was on bag shape, not colour, the next view will be in black.

Bags painted black. I know they are square. I know they are not removable. I know they will most likely leak like a sieve. All in all, I like them and my PIN card likes 'em too.

As for the seat cowl, I remember someone asking what method was used in a different post. If you look carefully, the notch is the exact shape as the front of a craftsman belt sander. I clamped the sander in a vise and eyeballed it. ABS melts like butter.

If anyone is interested, I will update on the durability. If I need my tools taken away, please advise.

here is for you chappies who would like to see what a wingrack looks like without bags:

l_fd1a490244f3dec88d6639cc8be0cf12.jpg

let the ridicule commence:

l_02b7d56b1158217dba122b85ecd31060.jpg

l_3bc270fc1dc18c5cc5b5473613aa53b3.jpg

l_ec27ed3af51eb4365ed7345c0c7b3084.jpg

l_64f4af80d51db8aaa5d7a64e0ff880a5.jpg

• Member Contributer

The black gives an industrial look... not bad. if nothing else, they would make good frame sliders (as my 21's have done) for far less cost then Givi's. If the price is right and they serve your purpose, do it. For me the 21's are ok if you stuff and pack tight enough. I have a 360 as a top case and sometimes (like you mentioned, 2 sets) it would be nice to have a set of 360's for to haul more crap.

first test complete. You can fit two sixpacks of Heineken Keg-cans in a bag. Wife sent me out for Dutch beer as the Netherlands side is playing in a half an hour.

• Member Contributer
first test complete. You can fit two sixpacks of Heineken Keg-cans in a bag. Wife sent me out for Dutch beer as the Netherlands side is playing in a half an hour.

in 15 minutes....... :biggrin:

I got a idea if you want to tinker with it to make them removable...

Go to lowes or home depot they sell a metal rack shelving system the corners have pegs that slide in and lock.. a spring loaded pin can make sure they dont bounce out of the groove..adding these you could make them removable in theory.. someone may come up with a better idea..

Or run the bolts thru the K-wing backwards and use a wingnut/lockwasher on the inside..

Real similar to the shelving they use thru out there stores.. If your creative you may be able to find something similar near or around the dumpsters (free) to play with..

trash bags should help with the waterproofing.. They may leak but it will keep most of the water out..

• Member Contributer

Lets see.... the factory luggage goes between $500 and $1000 (depending on how and where you make your purchase). And you "got er done" for $50. Sounds like an OK idea to me.

Nice going - the black look GREAT. Stealth side cases and not too wide either. WOW !

more praise and or ridicule please.............................

still need ideas about bag size, E21 vs 360 etc....

dont hold back. Thanks

• Member Contributer
more praise and or ridicule please.............................

still need ideas about bag size, E21 vs 360 etc....

dont hold back. Thanks

Two E360's are a lot of storage space and will stick out, you can get a full face helmet in them. The E21's would be closer to what you have now. Both have always been water tight for me. Personally, I throw a 360 on as a trunk and that's usually more than enough, the 21's go on the sides for the longer trips or if I have a passenger.

• Member Contributer

First off.... I really like the tool cases as bags. Very nice. Put the "inside" stuff in a plastic bag to make them "waterproof".

For my setup; I've got the E21s and a 46 top case. They're fine for long distance rides. I thought long and hard about getting the E360s instead of the 21s, but didn't want the width due to lane splitting here in CA. Also, because the E21s are non-painted black, I don't have to worry about scratching them like I would with the E360s. I do like how the E21s open from the top... nothing falls out on the side of the road when opening.

I'd say, unless you're going on a long trip and have a bunch of stuff to take, get the E21s. They're cheaper, too.

Steve

• Member Contributer

Another option for waterproofing could be just some inexpensive camping bags. Several years ago, I got a bag from Wallys, black nylon outside and dayglo orange rubber liner. Not perfectly WP, but very good. Plus when turned inside-out the bag could be strapped on back of bike as emergency panel if you have to stop on roadside.

Bike and bags parked uncovered at the police station for 9 hours. A summer squall came through and rained an absolue downpour for 30 mins and regular rain for another hour.....

Miraculously, no water got into my tollboxes, eh saddlebags. Test number 2 tentitavely passed!

Now I guess this is a bit anti climactic, but even though my home-maders would probably be OK, I couldnt resist these:

2d4a_1.JPG

they dont make these any more and they are 28 litres, right between the E21s and the 360s. And for 250 bucks for new-old-stock bags, I just had to end the experiment.

I will use the tool boxes on my XS1100 I think. With my giant Hannigan Sport-touring fairing and those bags, it should have people scratching thier heads.

Also, while I am at it, I attached a stiffening brace that came with my mount to the rear of the Wingrack. It didnt really need it but now that it is on, I cant move the rack a fraction of a millimeter in any direction. The bracket consists of an 90 degree angled tube that bolts to a multi directional clamp and a flat bar that goes behind the number plate. Solid as a rock.

I guess I'll post some photos tommorow when the bags arrive, so you can see that the shuttle has indeed landed and I can keep my tools.

Anybody with questions about givi or wingracks, fire away, as I had many that I just had to figure out on my own.

the thread made for a good read. Thanks for the entertainment. Now... 6 months later, are you still happy with the sidebags? I am in the market and going through the same thought process you did (although briefcases would not be my style...)

Michel

Now I guess this is a bit anti climactic, but even though my home-maders would probably be OK, I couldnt resist these:

2d4a_1.JPG

they dont make these any more and they are 28 litres, right between the E21s and the 360s. And for 250 bucks for new-old-stock bags, I just had to end the experiment.

I will use the tool boxes on my XS1100 I think. With my giant Hannigan Sport-touring fairing and those bags, it should have people scratching thier heads.

Also, while I am at it, I attached a stiffening brace that came with my mount to the rear of the Wingrack. It didnt really need it but now that it is on, I cant move the rack a fraction of a millimeter in any direction. The bracket consists of an 90 degree angled tube that bolts to a multi directional clamp and a flat bar that goes behind the number plate. Solid as a rock.

I guess I'll post some photos tommorow when the bags arrive, so you can see that the shuttle has indeed landed and I can keep my tools.

Anybody with questions about givi or wingracks, fire away, as I had many that I just had to figure out on my own.

Archived