Intergrated Gear Indicator

shroffman

Question

Was searching for the next "gadget" to get for my 2006, and came across Acumen gear indicator which includes a plug and play kit for our bike. Cool, I thought, but then

I came across this whilst reading a different post board. A member on 600rr.net actually mods the Acumen into the guage of the bike!

Follow the thread in this link and you will see the work he has done. I'm sure you agree it looks amazing and totally stock!

He's even setup his own website now offering the service.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=79819

He seems to have worked on a few bikes, but mostly 600RR and 1000RR. I sent him a mail to ask if had ever moded a VFR, and he said he would consider it, after more research.

I reckon if we get enough people interested on this board, it should give him more encouragment, and motivation to adapt his mod to our VFRs.

19 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

TOO COOL! I love how it checks, when you start the bike. I REALLY like that.

Is there any soldering involved with the Biketronix kits or do they have plug and play?

Here two samplepics of a biketronix g.i. put into a 5th gen gauge.

post-2910-1200125565.jpgpost-2910-1200125727.jpg

And here a video of a 5th gen dash where the neutral light has been replaced by a g.i.

That's way cool, but there are a lot of driveways to be driving like that IMHO.

Not to mention the fact that he is riding on the wrong side of the road...

+1.gif

REALLY like the gear indicator set into the tacho! Great idea. Is it difficult to do?

I am curious about these. It works by coorelating your speed to your RPMs....but what if you clutch it and rev it? What if you spin the rear tire in a burnout?

I am curious about these. It works by coorelating your speed to your RPMs....but what if you clutch it and rev it? What if you spin the rear tire in a burnout?

:goofy:

The situation that comes to my mind is when you're going to a corner and you start downshifting. This gizmo won't tell you what gear you're in until you release the clutch. The thing is, I'd like to know what gear I'm in before I let the clutch back out. That way I don't overrev and cause my rear to hop around, or fall out of the powerband and ruin my drive out of the corner. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

I personally fail to see the usefulness of a gear indicator (let alone a crippled retrofitted indicator that shows you an educated guess rather than the actual gear drum position). My previous bike had a gear indicator (a real one), but I don't miss it one bit.

What happened to the gear indicator that only cost about $100 instead of $200+?

Expensive either way, but I've never been able to keep track of what gear I'm in. :joystick:

• Member Contributer

:goofy:

The situation that comes to my mind is when you're going to a corner and you start downshifting. This gizmo won't tell you what gear you're in until you release the clutch. The thing is, I'd like to know what gear I'm in before I let the clutch back out. That way I don't overrev and cause my rear to hop around, or fall out of the powerband and ruin my drive out of the corner. :unsure:

:goofy: Seeing, now, how they work, it does seem pointless.

There you go, Tightwad,...... led bar gear indicator that gives actual indication, while attaching externally. I'd be all over that.

Years ago Suzuki made the only decent one. They had an electrical fitting on the end of gear shift drum and contacts on the shift drum. Gear indication was instanteous. I did the Acumen on a bike in the past and there is a lag as you can see in the vid.

• Member Contributer

My '84 Nighthawk 700S had a gear indicator. Don't know what mechanism they used.

• Member Contributer
Where's the "How-to" again Safe-T? smile.gif

I really only need it to stop me looking for the 7th gear on highway slab drones...

I had it put on whilst the bike was in the shop getting something else done, but the tech said it was straightforward - just followed the instructions in the box. I looked at them briefly and can't recall anything difficult.

The 5th gen gauge panel has little holes exactly the same diameter as the Acumen's wiring on either side as well. Worked great for routing the wiring under the dash.

Archived