Was Blind Last Night

Jovinski

Okay, last night, I was riding home. It was 37 degrees out. My face shield was fogging up constantly. The only way that it would clear was to stay above sixty mph. It was crazy. Do I have to buy a anti-fogging windscreen? I live in Florida, so it won't be too much of a problem too often, but it was very uncomfortable how quickly it would fog over. I have an Icon Mainframe helmet. It didn't matter if the vents were open or closed, one open, one closed, etc. What a PITA!! So, please any ideas? Thanks, JB

• Member Contributer
Okay, last night, I was riding home. It was 37 degrees out. My face shield was fogging up constantly. The only way that it would clear was to stay above sixty mph. It was crazy. Do I have to buy a anti-fogging windscreen? I live in Florida, so it won't be too much of a problem too often, but it was very uncomfortable how quickly it would fog over. I have an Icon Mainframe helmet. It didn't matter if the vents were open or closed, one open, one closed, etc. What a PITA!! So, please any ideas? Thanks, JB

If I open the shield slightly, the fog usually goes away.

Hey there, I live in Portland Oregon and I have the same helmet and it fogs up all of the time too. My buddy has a Scorpion helmet and it NEVER fogs up. I have to ride around with the shield partially open a crack to keep the shield clear. I have to open it all the way to keep it clear at stop lights. Good luck, get a scorpion helmet. It will be my next one.

I have used 2 sorts of inserts that stick to the inside of the visor, with great success.

One is a brand called Fog City, the other is called "Pro" something - go into a bike shop and ask for a anti-fog insert for your visor, they will know...

I have the scorpion anti fog set up, best set up I'v ever used. I've sat in pouring rain 40 degrees in traffic at stop lights with shiled completely closed and not fog.

I was riding in the early morning in the 40's and came into a town, and hit warm humid air, my mirrors instantly fogged heavily but helmet was fine

its a combo of the breath deflector and the original antifog shield it does work pretty dang well

• Member Contributer

shaving cream!!!!

you want proof? go clean your bathroom mirror with some shaving cream..!take a nice HOT bath or shower.. step out. look at the mirror.. NO FOG!!

I also have a scorpion and the no fog shield is excellent. I believe other manufacturers make no fog shields. The scorpion also has a breath deflector above the nose. On my old hjc I would have to pop the shield up a bit to get clear vision.

• Member Contributer
shaving cream!!!!

you want proof? go clean your bathroom mirror with some shaving cream..!take a nice HOT bath or shower.. step out. look at the mirror.. NO FOG!!

who woulda thunk,,,,,, just dont know if I want to know how you found out :goofy: :lol:

• Member Contributer
shaving cream!!!!

I tried to get some shaving cream, but the owner of this bike bought the entire store supply.

ebay002Medium.jpg

I have tried it all, sprays, goo, inserts, breath guards, helmet curtains, face masks, you name it. I had to,I ride every day, day in day out and in the winter it is rain and 30+ degrees and summer it is dense morning fog. Crack'n the visor is not an option for me unless stopped and it is not raining. The best I have found, Pin-Loc inserts.

• Member Contributer

"Foggy" by Respro. I think you can find them in the Aerostich catalog but I just found mine online. It is cheap, $15 or so and it works PERFECT!! When I have my neck wrapped I can't put my neck thing over my nose with the Foggy because it seals so tight I can't breathe! :lol:

Seriously, get one. It is one of the best things I've ever bought!! 28 degrees this morning and NO FOG!!!!

I also have an Icon Mainframe (Halo) helmet that fogs easily. I live up in Washington state on the coast where it's constantly humid. This a.m. it was 30F on the bike and 95% humidity. I have the Icon 'breath deflector' which came w/the helmet and I added a fog city shield. I still get fog on the inside during my morning commute, but it's only through town until I get to the highway. After that, the vent system does its job. I think the breath deflector is positioned too far away from the face to do any good (my 2 cents).

Cracking the visor only goes so far in this environment. If you do this a few times, the inside gets fogged up and then you're hosed (can't wipe it away w/winter gloves while riding).

I'll check out the Scorpion website for a better helmet for this area. If I lived in a drier climate, it wouldn't be an issue but this part of the country is constantly humid w/changing temperatures.

• Member Contributer

Fog City for me. I rode the last two days to work, and today the air temp on the bike never even registered. In case anyone is wondering, it starts indicating temp at 14 degrees. On my shield, there will be condensation on the bottom of it, but not in my view. Although most days like today, I have to break the ice/condensation to open the shield.

Nolans also have a fog sheild insert that works very well. Great flip-up helmet, and about 1/2 the price of Arais and Shoeis.

If you wear glasses like I do, that's another big problem. I use Cat Crap anti-fog cream and it works pretty well.

I second the Fog City insert. Simple and lasts a long time (i got almost a year out of mine before it became too scratched up...that got annoying) Also....the shaving cream works!!!! I do my bathroom mirror once a month :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Nolans also have a fog sheild insert that works very well. Great flip-up helmet, and about 1/2 the price of Arais and Shoeis.

If you wear glasses like I do, that's another big problem. I use Cat Crap anti-fog cream and it works pretty well.

If you have a Shoei or HJC, a Pinlock visor is a must for winter riding:

http://www.pinlockusa.com/

I have ridden in well below freezing temps and ridden in humid, summer downpours and you cannot fog up the pinlock visor - ever! No need to crack open the visor - although if you wear glasses, your glasses will fog up unfortunately.

Great system that is unbeatable - if you don't wear glasses.

• Member Contributer

I live in San Francisco, Fog City. I've tried EVERYTHING!

The product that has worked the very best for me is Zooke:

http://zooke.com/shop/catalog.php

I have the "Z-Kit," but the best product within the kit is the Z-Wax. I clean my visor first with a mild off-the-shelf, diluted household cleaner, then apply the wax after EVERY ride. It also reduces the glare from on-coming headlights at night, makes the visor crystal clear. The kit also contains a different application for the outside of the visor, which sheds rain, fog, and dew.

If conditions get really bad, I'll just open the visor one click, and that can be a great help too. The helmet is an Icon Alliance. It also has three vents, one in front, and two on the side, which can help manage cooling air in the summer and fog-clearing air in colder, fog producing conditions.

rctwentyfour

• Member Contributer

If you have a Shoei or HJC, a Pinlock visor is a must for winter riding:

http://www.pinlockusa.com/

I have ridden in well below freezing temps and ridden in humid, summer downpours and you cannot fog up the pinlock visor - ever! No need to crack open the visor - although if you wear glasses, your glasses will fog up unfortunately.

Great system that is unbeatable - if you don't wear glasses.

Well I wear glasses and the pinlock system is unbeateable too!! Aplly a tiny qty of Rain-X on the outside so that raindrops "fly off"more easily

HPIM4501.jpg

HPIM5878.jpg

During the wintermonths I have a double layered, clear face shield on my Uvex helmet. It hardly foggs if I keep it clean (using only warm water). Products that worked on my single layer face shield are teflon carwax, dish soap and some anti fog fluid that came with my scuba mask. Have to give the shaving cream a try too, thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

Ive never had anything but very very mild luck with the cosmetic spooges (just above not worth a chit catagory at best). And ofcourse ya have to remember to put it on all the time.

what spooges do is make water bead rather than fog(this can also cause streaking in view clarity), and once ya get heavy beading inside your helmet your screwed cant see anyway, and ya cant wife it off without completely stopping(that SUX).

I've been dealing with fog issues for few decades, the scorpion made it a non issue .

I've only heard one person complain about fogging on a scorpion, they had removed the breath guard and the orginal shield.

DUH, ya think that might be why LOL

• Member Contributer
....I've been dealing with fog issues for few decades, the scorpion made it a non issue....

I agree that the Scorpion is great for taking care of fogging, but I've owned two of them, the original and a warranty replacement, and they both allow torrents of water to run down the inside of the face shield during heavy rain. On both of them, there is a gap where the top of faceshield would seal against the helmet.

I figured that that was part of the anti-fog venting, but I've never heard anyone mention this about them. I know I'm not the only one that rides in heavy rain with a Scorpion, am I the only one with this problem?

• Member Contributer
Well I wear glasses and the pinlock system is unbeateable too!! Aplly a tiny qty of Rain-X on the outside so that raindrops "fly off"more easily

My sunglasses usually fog up inside the helmet while the pinlock remains totally fog free... oh well +1.gif

....I've been dealing with fog issues for few decades, the scorpion made it a non issue....

I agree that the Scorpion is great for taking care of fogging, but I've owned two of them, the original and a warranty replacement, and they both allow torrents of water to run down the inside of the face shield during heavy rain. On both of them, there is a gap where the top of faceshield would seal against the helmet.

I figured that that was part of the anti-fog venting, but I've never heard anyone mention this about them. I know I'm not the only one that rides in heavy rain with a Scorpion, am I the only one with this problem?

I have the ex400, havent had that issue at all, do ya know if theres a weight difference between the it and the EX700?

Archived