Was Blind Last Night

Jovinski

I also ride in all weather, and fogging is a big deal. It is especially bad with my sunglasses, as my balaclava basically routes my breath right into the lenses....instant blindness(this is scary on curvy roads!). I recall a time I had to rip my sunglasses off pretty much through my face shield. I keep meaning to try the shaving cream deal...I do this for my mirror at home sometimes.

I think I will check out the Foggy deal Nicole and Lee mentioned....possibly the Pinlock shield also as I have an HJC helmet.

I have tried everything...Fog City Shields, cracking shields, sprays and other chemicals. The "Foggy Mask" is the only thing I will ever use again and the only thing that works all of the time. The Fog City shields ar OK, but you better mount them correctly, they distort views particularily around the edges, the shield still fogs in areaes not covered. Sprays only last so long. Buy the Foggy, it works! I ride year around & in sub 30 degree temps, there is no substitute.

http://www.respro.com/products/racing/road...ing/foggy_mask/

Hey everyone, thanks for all the ideas! Gonna look into the Foggy and might as well try the shaving cream while I am waiting. Thanks again!!! :thumbsup:

"Foggy" by Respro. I think you can find them in the Aerostich catalog but I just found mine online. It is cheap, $15 or so and it works PERFECT!!

+1.gif

100% guaranteed to work. Aerostitch

d_1589.jpg

Might keep the shield clear, but looks like it would vent warm, hot breath up under my glasses. Experience?

I actually can ride without glasses if I don't worry about hitting anything smaller than a truck. Semi.

Might keep the shield clear, but looks like it would vent warm, hot breath up under my glasses. Experience?

I actually can ride without glasses if I don't worry about hitting anything smaller than a truck. Semi.

I must wear glasses to drive too and the Foggy IS THE ANSWER.

Fogging is caused by your breath condensing on the cooler surfaces of your shield (and glasses). You are correct... If you have your shield vent open to prevent it from fogging, the cold air will cool your glasses and allow them to fog.

The Foggy effectively seals off the lower half of your helmet (mouth/nose) from the upper half (eyes). Your breath can not come in contact with your shield or glasses. It is a much better setup than the breath guard included with any helmet I have ever owned.

Your respirations are kept away from your shield and glasses by the neoprene material that seals up against your cheeks and bridge of your nose. The rigid plastic piece (over the bridge of your nose) provides extra sealing tension for the tight, included-angles of the nose/cheek transition.

On very cold days, I am able to keep all the vents in my helmet closed and still have no problem with fogging. This allows me to keep warmer due to the fact that my helmet is sealed off from the outside. Only my chin is exposed (unless I am wearing this). It also negates the intrusion of water that vents allow during rain.

The Foggy is removeable due to it's velcro mounting. But I leave mine in year round due to the fact the morning ride to work may not present fogging conditions but the ride home may. Plus I think it looks "fighter pilot cool".... ymmv.

I have close fitting glasses (small lenses). I suspect that if you have large (ex. Aviator style) glasses, there may be some interference between your lenses and the bridge piece on the foggy. But there is some lee-way in how you position the Foggy in your helmet.

Order one from Aerostitch... try it... they have a very liberal return policy, and are very customer friendly in my experience. But my bet is that once you install it you never remove it.

• Member Contributer
.....The Foggy effectively seals off the lower half of your helmet (mouth/nose) from the upper half (eyes). Your breath can not come in contact with your shield or glasses. It is a much better setup than the breath guard included with any helmet I have ever owned.....

A couple years back, using a Foggy, I set out at about 5a.m. on an early spring ride. I stopped somewhere in Kentucky to switch to a tinted shield and found a 3 inch icicle hanging from my chin guard. Yah, they're pretty effective at sealing the upper and lower parts of the helmet.

If anyone lives in Santa Cruz, and if I can still find it, you can stop by and I will give you my Foggy Mask for free; I hated it. To tight, to hot for summer rains and the velcro left behind on the inner chin bar in my helmet rubbed my chin raw when I had the Foggy out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

If you have any oaint ball shops in your area check them out for anti Fog Cleaner (I have some made by PMI) Their is also something called Plexus which is a cleaner and protectant for the masks also works great for the visors.

I picked up a Nolan N102 today from the dealer. He let me trade in my HJC that was two sizes two big... He said the insert guarentees that it will no fog up. Will know tommorow...

If anyone lives in Santa Cruz, and if I can still find it, you can stop by and I will give you my Foggy Mask for free; I hated it. To tight, to hot for summer rains and the velcro left behind on the inner chin bar in my helmet rubbed my chin raw when I had the Foggy out.

Tell you what bring it down for a VFR BBQ we are having in Atascadero March 22 and Ill feed you for the Foggy smile.gif

• Member Contributer

I will make another vote for the Pin-Lock system. Where I live, when the dry temperatures drop precipitously upon sundown, the humidity greatly increases. I was riding blind some evenings, due to the warm breath.

Anyway, the reason the Pin-Lock system works so damn well, is that it contains a rather firm but flexible inner shield that contains a very flat, continuous silicone bead. Once you get the inner shield adequately placed against the exterior Pin-Lock-compatible face shield, it forms a complete secondary air space that is sealed so virtually NOTHING will fog it.

I've ridden with my BMW All-Around boots, Aerostich suit + triple-digit glove rain covers + Pin-Lock setup and let me tell you, riding in the rain simply doesn't faze me any more. But the weak (dangerous) point of the system was the fogging shield. For that, well...I've made my case.

• Member Contributer

I will cast a second vote for Cat Crap! Works great on most any lense.

http://catcrap.com.au/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-...visor-anti-fog/

I also now have a Nolan and their pin lock anti-fog insert is by far the best device to beat fogging. Their insert does have a special coating so you need to be careful what you use to clean it with as any strong cleaner will yellow it slightly.

• Member Contributer

+1 for the Respro Foggy

It fitted beautifully into my Arai and sends my breath down and out, no fogging.

John

.....The Foggy effectively seals off the lower half of your helmet (mouth/nose) from the upper half (eyes). Your breath can not come in contact with your shield or glasses. It is a much better setup than the breath guard included with any helmet I have ever owned.....

A couple years back, using a Foggy, I set out at about 5a.m. on an early spring ride. I stopped somewhere in Kentucky to switch to a tinted shield and found a 3 inch icicle hanging from my chin guard. Yah, they're pretty effective at sealing the upper and lower parts of the helmet.

I think if your chin is rubbing the chin guard that you may want to look at a different helmet shape...if you get in a wreck it will move at least far enough to bust your jaw.

On a less side note, I have been using my Foggy (thanks guys!) for a couple weeks and it works VERY well. One time it worked so well all the fog was vented outside and I couldn't see more than 2 houses away because of it!

The only thing I don't like it that some air does escape upward, and will fog my sunglasses from the inside, which still makes it hard to see. This is very rare, and I plan to leave mine installed unless it just gets too bloody hot in the oven....errr...summer.

Archived