Cold Weather. What To Cover Radiator With.

Ranger77

Question

• Member Contributer

Ok. Its not that cold, but its hanging around the 50's in the morning and my '01 will not reach 160F on the highway and has been as low as 141F. I'm afraid the engine isnt able to fully warm up and its gonna get worn out or use way too much fuel.

I want to cover the rad without the fan. Just incase it does get hot, the fan is still able to cool that rad.

Anybody have a clue on what to use that can easily be put on and taken off?

24 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I think I'd be checking my thermostat before bothering to cover the radiators. If the cooling system is operating properly, you should be fine to well below freezing temperatures.

• Member Contributer
I think I'd be checking my thermostat before bothering to cover the radiators. If the cooling system is operating properly, you should be fine to well below freezing temperatures.

Temp does just fine in 60 and up weather. It has no problem reaching 200 in the city.

+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif

Even though you don't have the notorious '02 --- I'm with hlf --- you have a stuck thermostat. Mine showed the same symptoms. Then I fixed it and now my bike will hold at 170 *f even when the air temp is below freezing. No cardboard needed.

• Member Contributer

Thermostat is sticking open, circulating coolant to both radiators when it is only supposed to circulate to the right radiator under 170f.

To test for sure, start the bike up and put your hand on the left rad when coolant temp is at 150. The left rad should be cold until 170. Miguel (HispanicSlammer) has a great write up on the procedure in the how to section. It is a bit of a PITA and you need a 18+ inch long #2 phillips screw driver.

• Member Contributer

Even on single digit days my 06 always warmed up well and plenty fast...............staying cooler was the usual problem I had. Warmest running bike I've ever owned.............. +1.gif

should you wish to cover the radiator, they make cool zip-tie type things for adding fans to radiators...the stick through the fins and attach to a pad on the back...might be just what you need.

But I agree, your T-stat is bad.

• Member Contributer

I have the same issue on my '02 - anyone know what the stealer might charge to replace the thermostat (if I decide to be lazy)?

Based on the How-To write up, it looks like at least a couple hours labor + part.....I don't think I'm going to like the estimate....

• Member Contributer
I have the same issue on my '02 - anyone know what the stealer might charge to replace the thermostat (if I decide to be lazy)?

Based on the How-To write up, it looks like at least a couple hours labor + part.....I don't think I'm going to like the estimate....

Thermostat is about $25, probably $35 from the dealer, plus 2.5-3 hours of labor I would guess.

• Member Contributer

2243_2.jpg

:P

Temp does just fine in 60 and up weather. It has no problem reaching 200 in the city.

Like what was said (change your thermostat) until its 10 degrees or below you shouldnt even need to think of covering your radiator, its about the same for running hot too, if it isnt 120+ there shouldnt be any reason to alter your cooling system which would indicate a problem.. I drive a truck which have 12 gallon capacity for coolant, we cover our radiators more to keep warm when sitting and idling, not because there is a problem with it heating going down the hiway..

somebody has been watching to much ICE ROAD TRUCKERS :thumbsup:

2243_2.jpg

:P

doesnt that go against your saying? gunig ist zu wenig? perhaps 'enough is too much'? +1.gif

• Member Contributer
Thermostat is sticking open, circulating coolant to both radiators when it is only supposed to circulate to the right radiator under 170f.

To test for sure, start the bike up and put your hand on the left rad when coolant temp is at 150. The left rad should be cold until 170. Miguel (HispanicSlammer) has a great write up on the procedure in the how to section. It is a bit of a PITA and you need a 18+ inch long #2 phillips screw driver.

+1.gif

I'm up in New Hampshire and ride my bike regularly through the cold weather and have never expereienced a problem getting the bike above 170 degrees. The coldest temps I've ridden in were -10 degree. The water pump in my car at the time froze and was in the shop. I sure got some strange looks from people when I pulled inot work. Even at that temp, I did not have a problem.... temp rose above 170 degrees after a proper warm up. Probably fell into the 160's while going down the highway.

I have a 2K

what brand is the best to get.

Cardboard or thermostat?

I'd go with a nice hand knit rad cover - heavy wool with the VFRD logo on it <_<

Or replace the thermo as suggested...

Guest Jonchilds

You could just place some cardboard or plastic behind the right fairing to cover the radiator exhaust hole.

Cruising around in <10'C I see around 77'C on my 2003 model VTEC.

I'd be tempted to cover part of the oil cooler too in super cold weather, but this has been discussed at length elsewhere I believe.

My 4th Gen never gets to operating temp if it isn't over 80 out. I've checked the old t-stat in a pan and it worked fine, but replaced it anyway. Still the same. I cover my rad with a vinyl cover during the colder months to get to temp.

• Member Contributer
You could just place some cardboard or plastic behind the right fairing to cover the radiator exhaust hole.

I'd be tempted to cover part of the oil cooler too in super cold weather, but this has been discussed at length elsewhere I believe.

It actually works better to put the board in front of the rad so the air doesnt hit it.

The t-stat is located under the throttle bodies on the 5th gens...........right????

• Member Contributer

It actually works better to put the board in front of the rad so the air doesnt hit it.

The t-stat is located under the throttle bodies on the 5th gens...........right????

Yup. Same as 6th gen.

Is this topic still alive?? Put the cardboard on both sides of the rad that way you can decorate it with different colored crayons or marker, Even draw you a turbo in there some where and make loud whooshing noises.. :goofy: :offtopic: :goofy: +1.gif

Archived