Speed Hump?

Darth Bling

For all you track savvy people out there, I have a question for you about speed humps.

speed_hump.jpg

No no, not that kind of speed hump, this kind:

hump.jpg

Sometimes called an aero hump, what's the deal with these things on leather track suits?? Is it a purely cosmetic thing? Or, does it serve some kind of purpose? All I can guess is that it helps prevent you from banging your head on the pavement when you're sliding on your back after a get off. Is that it? Maybe it serves an aerodynamic purpose?? :unsure:

If it does indeed have benefits, is it worth $75 to send my new leather jacket to Barnicle Bill to have a speed hump installed? :salesman:

Also, if you have a preference between track suits with a speed hump and suits without one, please do tell. smile.gif

I was told they served a aerodynamic purpose only! :goofy:

I thought that it may prevent your head from snapping back in certain crashes, but I guess that's not the purpose.

I would be interested to find out just exactly the real purpose was myself! :thumbsup:

It doesn't look like much, but I would imagine it has significant affect on wind turbulence. Like the same concept as the huge seat cowl hump on a Hayabusa.

• Member Contributer

reduce drag?

humps? drags? let's not go there...... <_<

It doesn't look like much, but I would imagine it has significant affect on wind turbulence. Like the same concept as the huge seat cowl hump on a Hayabusa.

Or like the humps behind Batman and Robins heads on the Bat Mobil ! :goofy:

It's so when the rider is crouched over the tank, there's less turbulence and drag behind their helmet. Even if the bike's quite aerodynamic, the rider isn't so anything to fair them in a bit is a help.

I think some of them also have vents in to help cooling (not sure).

A secondary benefit would be protection of the neck in a crash.

lastly, if you were an UrgleeHump-BackedDwarf it would tend to disguise it a bit, so you wouldn't suffer when browsing the Brolly Dollies.

• Member Contributer

....... accoding to Paul and NewEnough Link here, in Paul's comments

The hump will provide a bridge between the back of a rider's helmet and their shoulders in case of a fall. This lessens the chance of one's neck being wrenched forward (chin down position). The shape of the hump is aerodynamic as well (although I really can't see that as a noticeably functional thing for most riders--certainly not me smile.gif

Makes sense to me. I could also see it slowing the impart of chin first hits, but those are probably more damaging to the wrists and elbows.

• Member Contributer

Or like the humps behind Batman and Robins heads on the Bat Mobil ! :goofy:

Or from the men that helped HD on the V-Rod...... (m/c content!!! :thumbsup: )

Porsche%20Carrera%20GT_2%20800.jpg

I've seen them with water/drink storage in them along with a drinking hose! :thumbsup:

Water for the track and mixed drinks for the street rides! :goofy: j/k!

Guest Ikazuchi

The humps do not offer any neck protection. Unless, by neck protection, you mean that your neck is broken but your head didn't rip all the way off, then yes... it will help with that. You can pull your head all the way back as far as it will go and not touch the hump (at least with all the helmet/suit combinations I've had).

According to Alpinestars, they are only there for aerodynamics but because they are padded, offer additional impact protection in that area.

I've seen them with water/drink storage in them along with a drinking hose! :thumbsup:

... and the gibbering Gibernau had a prototype cooling unit in his a while back, which had a pump that circulated coolant through tubes on his upper torso. It worked OK for a while, but the pump crapped out. I think Alpinestars or one of them thar suit manufacturers made it.

I think he woulda bin better off with an UrgleeHump-BackedDwarf™ parked in the hump pumping the fluid around...

Or passing him cold drinks from time to time.

Wonder if Ican fit one of those little kegs in there? :goofy:

Worth a shot! Might be able to insulate it a little to keep it chilled while your at it!

Yeah, my impression was not just that it was aerodynamic but that it was a serious spine protector. It seems that it provides a valuable service against pretty good chances of paralysis if you hit right at those speeds.

They would have to call it a "Pony Hump" in the little kegs fit in there! :beer:

The suit hump does impart a squidly look to anyone wearing it. almost like a rooster showing off it's comb to an opponent in a cockfight......so you better be a fast rider with that hump on your back or those squids might laugh you off at the next bike hangout.

Maybe it's not a coincidence that these humps started appearing just when that little loud Roman GP rider was winning most of his races.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
Yeah, my impression was not just that it was aerodynamic but that it was a serious spine protector. It seems that it provides a valuable service against pretty good chances of paralysis if you hit right at those speeds.

I keep thinking about hitting the back of your head first when you fall. Seems like it could wrench your spine and possibly pull it apart. This thing would probably help transmit the force to your back, which can take it better than the spine.

Now whoever made the comments about squids making fun of you.......... shut your mouth. If this thing is for protection, you are making a fool of yourself. Might as well make fun of people for wearing helmets. :goofy: Protective gear is just that. Don't be jealous of the guy/girl that is slower than you that lives through his/her accident.

• Member Contributer

I have one on my new suit, I do not like it. I hit the back of my helmet on it in tight turns.

I got it because it was sold as a "neck protector" but I don't really see it being able to help your neck a whole lot in a crash, it is filled with foam padding that is not going to stop your head from being bent backward.

I keep thinking about hitting the back of your head first when you fall. Seems like it could wrench your spine and possibly pull it apart. This thing would probably help transmit the force to your back, which can take it better than the spine.

Now whoever made the comments about squids making fun of you.......... shut your mouth. If this thing is for protection, you are making a fool of yourself. Might as well make fun of people for wearing helmets. :goofy: Protective gear is just that. Don't be jealous of the guy/girl that is slower than you that lives through his/her accident.

The suit speed hump was NEVER meant to be a neck protector......it's an aerodynamic aid.

Notice the big gap between the back bottom of the helmet and these humps when a rider is sitting up on his bike. The helmet back/bottom fills that out when the rider cranes his neck backwards to look forward through the windscreen in a tight racing crouch...SO THERE :goofy:

Only neck protector for bikers that I have ever seen are of the inflatable type, deployed with high pressure CO2 when a bike connected lanyard is pulled. I think Dainese had also been experimenting systems that deploy with shock sensors.......but most of these haven't really been succesfuly sold in the mass market.....yet.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Tell that to Paul, at New Enough. He might have some insight.

....... accoding to Paul and NewEnough Link here, in Paul's comments
The hump will provide a bridge between the back of a rider's helmet and their shoulders in case of a fall. This lessens the chance of one's neck being wrenched forward (chin down position). The shape of the hump is aerodynamic as well (although I really can't see that as a noticeably functional thing for most riders--certainly not me smile.gif

Makes sense to me. I could also see it slowing the impart of chin first hits, but those are probably more damaging to the wrists and elbows.

• Member Contributer
Tell that to Paul, at New Enough. He might have some insight.

I think Paul is wrong on this one. I believe it strictly an aerodynamic device. Hence the name "aerohump". It seems it would be usefull only to racers going very fast. Doesn't look anything that would help neck injuries to me!

Useless for street riding, imo. Unless the BR beerkeg mod could work out!

There is some developement of a HANS-type device for motorcycles! Can't remember where I saw it......some racer was testing it.

It's my undrestanding that they are there to help with aerodynamics and turbs over the helmet. Also prevents a bit of wind noise although that isn't really a high point on the track since the exhaust is usually over powering the wind noise. Several newer models are incorporating water bladders for touring use or endurance racing use and other manufactuers are incorporating armor into them help the back protector out as well. As far as who is doing what with them, I can't really give names off the top of my head but I know Spidi is doing various things with them as well as many other manufactuers doing other stuff. My 1 piece has one on it, all I have really noticed is the reduced wind noise, while tucked esp. I can say that I wouldn't add one to a jacket if it's for street use as they are often times awkward, like trying to sit in the booth at a restaunt, it makes you feel like you're head is diving.

Archived