Speed Hump?

Darth Bling

I'd say we would need a MD's 2 cents for this one. But common sense says unless you race frequently at the track or just want to look cool (or dumb-eye of the beholder) there is no need for it.

Football players wear neck rolls to support the neck but it is directly on the neck and back unlike the speed hump.

I'd say we would need a MD's 2 cents for this one. But common sense says unless you race frequently at the track or just want to look cool (or dumb-eye of the beholder) there is no need for it.

Most leather suits have speed humps now so it's not a matter of looking cool in most instances. Unless someone wears leather just to look cool. I wear leather so I can look like a Power Ranger, no other reason. :D

• Member Contributer

The quick answer is Aerodynamics and Safety.

They used to be padded, allowing riders better upper spine protection and cushioning when landing on their backs.

Bike designs soon started building notches into thier tanks allowing riders to keep thier heads and necks straighter when tucked... however the turbulence created behind the helmet, and the lack of straighter airflow would create more advantage to riders behind, and the hump was considered a necessity to improve airflow, and thus disadvantage the rider behind.

Now days they put all kinds of things inside them... not sure I'd like to land on me back with a mechanical pump and batteries like Sete's AIS race suit.

I saw this explaination given by Channel 10 a few years back by Barry Sheene in the pits at the Australian GP.

• Member Contributer

I must have been the only one to watch "Speed." The hump is for aerodynamic purposes. The race teams spend big money on developing aerodynamically shaped farings. It was only a progression in technology to make sure the rider was as aerodynamic as the bike. When the rider is tucked down you have one nice smooth slip stream due to the helmet/hump line up with the fairings. The hump COULD double as protection with padding and such but that is just a secondary effect. :joystick:

The hump COULD double as protection with padding and such but that is just a secondary effect. :joystick:

I wouldn't mind a secondary Hump about now! :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
The humps do not offer any neck protection. Unless, by neck protection, you mean that your neck is broken but your head didn't rip all the way off, then yes... it will help with that.

I'm sorry but I almost spit coffee all over my computer!!! :lol:

The humps do not offer any neck protection. Unless, by neck protection, you mean that your neck is broken but your head didn't rip all the way off, then yes... it will help with that.

I'm sorry but I almost spit coffee all over my computer!!! :lol:

Someone needs a Keyboard Condom

i thought it was so squids on racing bikes could see, and get used to, what their backs will look like when they get old. all that leaning over has to lead to a lump on the back right? har har :rolleyes:

I have a Joe Rocket Speedmaster jacket will a speed hump and I have found it to be helpful with air turbulence behind my helmet. Whe I first got the jacket I was not sure it would help but became a believer after using it. As far as styling goes to me it doesn't add anything. It actually takes a little getting used to at first. You get that monkey on the back syndrome which goes along with the chip on the shoulder ! I have had a number of comments be others as to it's purpose. I have not found it to be a chick magnet.

Archived