Handling Issues Need Help...please

Sweeper

I recently traded my 02 for an 03 and can not believe they are the same bike. My 02 was like a part of me. When I leaned in, it just went with me. The 03 is set up soft and I think that I can fix that after reading here. The issue with the 03 is that any time I turn, the bike feels like it is going to tuck ,at any speed, as soon as I start to lean. At lean in, I get a hand full of weight from the bars. My 02 would just go with me. Anyone have any ideas on what to look for here? I can't take riding this thing like this. I may have to go grab my old bike bike. Do you think Shannon would notice if I switched the plastics? :rolleyes:

There are many suspension threads here so I suggest you start there because it really could be anything & if you don't really know what your doing you may miss what the problem is or how to sort it out. With the problem you have I would take my bike to a suspension person & ask them to take a look.

Some things to look at:

1. Tyre profile

2. Tyre pressure

3. Steering head bearings

4. Suspension (static sag? dynamic sag? last time fork oil relaced & with what weight?)

5. Wheel bearings

6. Wheel or disks bent

7. Bike bent

etc

How was 02 setup did it have rear shock shimmed or forks raised in triple clamps.

Thanks for the reply. I quess that I neglected to mention that I know nothing. I have done a lot of reading here but found it difficult to sort things out due to my skill level or lack of. I am interested in learning and am looking for a little coaching. I have read all of the threads on setting sag and tire pressures and will be working on those first. None of my reading left me with a clue about this problem. Maybe I missed it.

I agree with the Turkey Master, it doesn't take much to completely transform the way a bike handles.

smee42, do you have records of the suspension settings for the 02? A good start would be to follow the steps in the manual to return the settings to standard, then go from there.

Do you know if the steeringhead bearings in the 03 are ok? That weight on the bars you mention is a bit troubling, and does indeed sound like the front is trying to tuck...

I bought the 02 from a guy who was about my size and was moving up to a CBR1000RR. I think he may be the reason the bike handled so well for me. As I said, I know nothing and have no clue what the setup on the 02 was. Going back to stock is a great idea. At least it would help me establish a base to work from.

Some things to look at yourself;

1. Tyre profile can make allot of difference & the way a tyre will wear can kill it's handling properties, what tyres are fitted to your bike & wear. What tyre pressures do you run front rear.

2. The forks have little lock rings just bellow the top caps which sit against the clip-ons (handle bar) when in standard position, is that the position of yours.

3. If you place bike on center stand & jack up front with block of wood & jack under headers so front wheel is off ground, can you feel movement or a click if you push pull on forks through head bearings. Will steering move smoothly from lock to lock.

4. While front wheel off ground does it spin true by eye.

5. You need to read up on how to measure static & dynamic sag but just to simplify these settings you could use a ball park measurement front forks with your weight shouldn't compress more than 45mm & the rear about 30mm (these are just a av ball park & many people will have many opinions what they should be, but on the VFR I find them a good base line).

6. Do you know last time fork oil changed & weight of oil, like most bikes unless you ask for fork oil replacement they don't do it as part of a service so the mileage on your bike is probably the age of oil.

Hope that helps you a little.

I bought the 02 from a guy who was about my size and was moving up to a CBR1000RR. I think he may be the reason the bike handled so well for me. As I said, I know nothing and have no clue what the setup on the 02 was. Going back to stock is a great idea. At least it would help me establish a base to work from.

maybe the 02 had heavy springs or something, fork height play variance, bearings as mentioned, tires and other parts of the suspension can all effect. But they are the same bike.

• Member Contributer

sounds like the front end though.

could be the tires, could be the springs or fork height in the trees...

i know 5 lbs of fr tire pressure and a couple turns on the fork preload adjusters can shift it from neutral to evil pretty easy.

Enlist the help of someone who who can ride the bike and help you set it up the first time. then write down those settings in case you want to mess with them later.

any race shop, guy who races, independent repair shop, etc...

chris

• Member Contributer

What tires are on the new bike? It also sounds like you may have a death grip on the bars, or supporting your weight on them.

Read in the How To section how to set proper sag.

• Member Contributer
sounds like the front end though.

could be the tires, could be the springs or fork height in the trees...

i know 5 lbs of fr tire pressure and a couple turns on the fork preload adjusters can shift it from neutral to evil pretty easy.

Enlist the help of someone who who can ride the bike and help you set it up the first time. then write down those settings in case you want to mess with them later.

any race shop, guy who races, independent repair shop, etc...

chris

Chris is right. You need a friend. As modern motorcycles go, the VFR has a pretty uncomplicated suspension. However, to the novice it can be downright intimidating. Low tire pressures, tire wear patterns and profiles, improperly set sag, moving the fork tubes 4 millimeters up (or down) in the clamps and a host of other variables can have a profound impact on how the bike handles. That doesn't even count maintenance items like steering head bearings and the like. Find someone to help you, and, in the meantime, take it a little easy on the road.

Good luck.

most everything covered on suggestions. all i can add is experience:

i tried a used front tire from off a track bike and it RUINED my ride. felt like the bike was going to fall over all the time. are your tires new on the 03? are they different types from front to rear? are they different than your 02

on the suspension side, i just put stiffer springs in my font, raised my front forks and shimmed my rear end and the bike is 100% different in performance. in my case it is better. much quicker to turn in, less stable while cruising, much more succeptable to my input thus more 'twitchy'. some of this sounds similar to what you are saying, so if your 02 was more factory set and now your 03 has higher preload, raised front forks, shimmed rear, etc, it would make it feel 'unstable'

last question: how much do you weigh? i am 260 and this would definitely make all these settings so much more critical than if you are 160..

follow the advice above and it should get you going in the right direction.

oh, i have an 03...

Yeah, what they all said. They sound like they know what they're talking about.

My bike used to flop into corners, until I found out the front tyre I'm using (Avon Azaro AV49-SP) has soft sidewalls and needed to be run at more than 36 PSI. I now run it at 39-40.

Also, when my steering head bearings were worn, the bike had a notch in the bearing race that I didn't know about. So when I went to trun into the corner, there was a momentary hesitation and bit of extra effort required before it would turn.

Like has been said, hard to tell from our computers; it could be a lot of things.

One quick thought; if it happens at all speeds, slow and fast, it could be nothing more than your old bike having a very rounded tour'n style front tire and the new one could be more sport style which can make the bike feel like it is falling into the corners if you have never experienced that before.

Thanks for all of the input. The old bike had new Pilot Roads and Dunlops before that, while the 03 has some fairly well worn Battleaxes? I am right at 180 pounds suited up. The bike only has 5k miles so the tires may even be the factory tires. There is no play in the head bearings and it seems smooth. The front tire shows some feathering but nothing I haven't seen on other bikes that I've owned. Like I said, this is the first time I have ever switched between bikes of the same model. I'll check the sag and tire pressure this weekend if I get time. I can also check on the forks and rear shock for any mods.

• Member Contributer
Thanks for all of the input. The old bike had new Pilot Roads and Dunlops before that, while the 03 has some fairly well worn Battleaxes? I am right at 180 pounds suited up. The bike only has 5k miles so the tires may even be the factory tires. There is no play in the head bearings and it seems smooth. The front tire shows some feathering but nothing I haven't seen on other bikes that I've owned. Like I said, this is the first time I have ever switched between bikes of the same model. I'll check the sag and tire pressure this weekend if I get time. I can also check on the forks and rear shock for any mods.

I would put some new Pilot Roads on the bike if that's what you liked on your old bike. Battlaxes are the worst handling and least confidence inspiring tire I've tried so far. Then, if necessary, I'd start changing the suspension. Free opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had time this past weekend to check things out. The forks had been lowered and the tires were both really low. I have been guilty of riding on low tires before so I think the big change was the forks. Thanks for all of the input. It really helped reenforce what I read in all the posts. Now that I have seen how much change I can make, maybe a little fine tuning is in order.

• Member Contributer
Finally had time this past weekend to check things out. The forks had been lowered and the tires were both really low.

When I first read the post almost replied:

"try putting air in your tires." :blink:

Low air will really make it feel like what you described.

First thing I check when sumpin' feels weird.

• Member Contributer

Go to the same tires you had on your old bike that you liked so well, correct air pressure, then ride it. You may still prefer raising the front end back up to stock...but...you might not. The lowered front will turn in quicker with less input. I'm not an aggressive rider at all, but I prefer quick, low-input steering.......also prefer Pilot Powers now also......(IMO 2cents)............... :thumbsup:

I would put some new Pilot Roads on the bike if that's what you liked on your old bike. Battlaxes are the worst handling and least confidence inspiring tire I've tried so far. Then, if necessary, I'd start changing the suspension. Free opinion.

:blink:

I prefer Pilot Powers over the Roads as well but the Powers DO have quicker turn in than the Roads.

Tires will be coming up this summer. I will most likely get the Roads again as I am too old to really ride harder than they can take. I never felt like I lost any grip with them. I still have to set the sag. Work keeps me busy to the point that I only get to ride if I have to run to town after hours. Might as well have a scooter.

I hope this thread will help someone else who like me was trying to decide if all this tweaking was really going to make a noticable difference. I always figured at the speeds that I ride, I wouldn't be able to tell anything had changed. I plan on taking the bike back to the guy that I got it from so he can see the difference. He kept telling me that he didn't feel like he was getting the hang of it. I hate to thing that my first bike was that hard to master.

Thanks again all of you.

Archived