Stebel Air Horn - Post Season Review

KanadianKen

Guest SondanXX
I just finished mine today, and it is one loud mo-fo!

horn.jpg

That picture is deceiving... is that as close to the front fender as it looks? Doesn't really look like there's much clearance when your suspension compresses. At least Ken's looks to be much higher... just curious?

Also, with the trumpet pointed forward like that are you concerned with bugs and debris getting caught up in there? I like the screen idea KK has on his...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

I can not believe this post just popped up!!!!!! :unsure: I was just researching looking for pictures!! I can't see pics at work so will look when I get home. Hopefully there are some good ones or links to good ones on this thread! I have a Fiamm or however you spell it and found someone to put it on but he wanted wiring pics!!!

:woot: Thanks for bumping this thread!!

I just finished mine today, and it is one loud mo-fo!

horn.jpg

That picture is deceiving... is that as close to the front fender as it looks? Doesn't really look like there's much clearance when your suspension compresses. At least Ken's looks to be much higher... just curious?

Also, with the trumpet pointed forward like that are you concerned with bugs and debris getting caught up in there? I like the screen idea KK has on his...

Nooooo! :o don't face the trumpet opneing forward and exposed like that.

You WILL end up with water in the horn which will kill it in no time, never mind the pathetic gurgling sounds you will get when you use it. Only do this if you have the opening on the trumpet well covered from direct air flow and rain with fairings.

I have already killed a couple of Fiamm snail horns making this mistake.

Safest way to install horns is to point their openings down or back as most horm makers say on their instructions. Watch out for the heat coming from the front head/headers too. It won't be friendly to the horn assembly plastics and electrics.

Beck

95 VFR

You can mount a Stebel on a 5th gen. I fabracated a bracket that mounts to the old horn bolts and places the air tank at a vertical 90 degree angle and it doesn't hit or rub anything! All it took was alot of carefull measurements and one weekend. I'll post some pictures when I get home and look for the template of my bracket.

• Member Contributer

Fiamm lists a variety of horns

http://82.193.8.13/product/productzoom.asp...13.24&id=23

Amp draw varies from 5 to 12 (A).

Now, I guess that some can be explained by using 2 horns instead of one.

Question: my 4th Gen '97, how much amp draw can I add w/o a relay? I looked through the servicemanualand found that the R/R lists 5 - 9 A @5,000rpm.

Is 9 the max?

• Member Contributer
Nooooo! :o don't face the trumpet opening forward and exposed like that.

You WILL end up with water in the horn which will kill it in no time, never mind the pathetic gurgling sounds you will get when you use it. Only do this if you have the opening on the trumpet well covered from direct air flow and rain with fairings.

Safest way to install horns is to point their openings down or back as most horn makers say on their instructions. Watch out for the heat coming from the front head/headers too. It won't be friendly to the horn assembly plastics and electrics.

Beck

95 VFR

I was thinking the same thing... this was just the easiest location to mount it sine I just used the stock horn bracket. I bought a bracket and salvaged a bit of screen door mesh to use on the trumpet. I was thinking about moving it to the little open space on the right side of the bike, behind the battery. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'll also see if i can get a weight on both horns. wink.gif

Nooooo! :o don't face the trumpet opening forward and exposed like that.

Safest way to install horns is to point their openings down or back as most horn makers say on their instructions. Watch out for the heat coming from the front head/headers too. It won't be friendly to the horn assembly plastics and electrics.

Beck

95 VFR

I was thinking the same thing... this was just the easiest location to mount it sine I just used the stock horn bracket. I bought a bracket and salvaged a bit of screen door mesh to use on the trumpet. I was thinking about moving it to the little open space on the right side of the bike, behind the battery. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'll also see if i can get a weight on both horns. wink.gif

Maybe consider just flipping the horn to face backwards. That horn should be way loud enough so that facing it back will not make too much of a difference.

Mine faces down behind the side of my upper fairing. You can just see the horn on the left side in this pic, next to the left fork tube:

gallery_285_20_75354.jpg

MVC-010F.JPG

It's a single Fiamm low (low tone/frequency, so that you do not have to direct or focus the sound for it to be heard well) tone snail horn and it certainly gets other driver's attention.

Beck

95 VFR

Edited by Beck

Guest mtbvfr
You can mount a Stebel on a 5th gen. I fabracated a bracket that mounts to the old horn bolts and places the air tank at a vertical 90 degree angle and it doesn't hit or rub anything! All it took was alot of carefull measurements and one weekend. I'll post some pictures when I get home and look for the template of my bracket.

I would appreciate this very much as I hope to have a Stebel arriving soon. And if necessary, maybe you could make a bracket to send to me for which I would pay you.

Hasta pronto, MTB

• Member Contributer

UPDATED LOCATION!! :thumbsup:

Horn001.jpg

Horn004.jpg

Horn005.jpg

Horn006.jpg

I relocated the horn to that little cubbie hole by the rear brake reservoir. It was definetly a tight fit but... it works out pretty well IMO.

The horn seems to be just as loud as it was before, but is now sheltered from the elements.

I did all of the wiring in my living room following the instructions that were provided with the horn.

Horn007.jpg

I used the reservoir bracket as the horn bracket as well. I used the tank pivot bolt as my ground source and mount for the relay.

• Member Contributer
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone weighed the stock horn versus the Stebel? Curious about that too.

I forgot to weigh the Stebel before I mounted it, but the stock horn weighs 5.5oz.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I've never had any reason to complain about my stock horn before... sure, it sounds a bit wimpy, but a short tap was always enough to alert anyone who was about to switch into my lane that "hey, I'm here!" Until yesterday, that is. I'm in the right lane, doing a few MPH faster then a lexus-luxo-barge in the left. I'm nearly even with the front door when it starts drifting into my lane. I lean on the horn, and there is absolutely no response from this oblivious lady talking on ther cell phone. You remember those old Infiniti commercials where the guy opens and shuts the car door, and the music from the sound system cuts in and out, ie, "our cars have such great sound insulation!" Yeah, screw you and your sound insulation. Throttle to the stops, vroom vroom, out of danger... I just put in my order for a Nautilus. Lets see you ignore me now, lady. You're gonna overcorrect so fast you're gonna go flying across both oncoming lanes and into the train tracks. :thumbsup:

However, there is one thing I'm sort of worried about... the horn button on my '04 is very easy to press. I've hit it a few times accidently while trying to get my blinker or something, and it really doesn't take much pressure to depress it. Not a big deal with the stock horn, just maybe a bit embarrassing if I do it in a parking lot or something. Accidently hitting the Stebel would probably be really embarrassing. Has anyone else has this problem, and is it possible to do anything about it... increase the necessary force to trigger the horn, or something? Thanks,

Kegan

• Member Contributer

In my opinion, the horn...stock or Stebel...is the last option you should consider when someone tries to merge into your lane. I might give someone a blast to let them know I'm there if I "even think" they are gonna move into my space, but if someone is totally oblivious and makes an aggressive maneuver towards me, I'm either on the brakes or gas to avoid them. Once the danger has passed I definitely let my Stebel speak for me...maybe even give them a one finger salute too. :goofy:

PS: I have a 6th Gen w/ABS, and since last September have had my Stebel mounted where the EVAP canister is normally located. It's a tight fit that requires homemade brackets, and to avoid the fairing the horn sits pretty close to the head pipes, but after 6 months it's still working like a champ.

In my opinion, the horn...stock or Stebel...is the last option you should consider when someone tries to merge into your lane. I might give someone a blast to let them know I'm there if I "even think" they are gonna move into my space, but if someone is totally oblivious and makes an aggressive maneuver towards me, I'm either on the brakes or gas to avoid them. Once the danger has passed I definitely let my Stebel speak for me...maybe even give them a one finger salute too. :pissed:

PS: I have a 6th Gen w/ABS, and since last September have had my Stebel mounted where the EVAP canister is normally located. It's a tight fit that requires homemade brackets, and to avoid the fairing the horn sits pretty close to the head pipes, but after 6 months it's still working like a champ.

Glad this thread resurfaced... I hung mine of the Left rear foot/bag hole bracket at least for now.

This Canadian boy would like to know where the evap was, as ares' don't got one a dem :goofy:

Or, has any body else with a 6th gen Abs found another spot?

Greg

Look on the left...

gallery_8015_2891_297655.jpg

Flap Fix001_edited.JPG

• Member Contributer
However, there is one thing I'm sort of worried about... the horn button on my '04 is very easy to press. I've hit it a few times accidently while trying to get my blinker or something, and it really doesn't take much pressure to depress it. Not a big deal with the stock horn, just maybe a bit embarrassing if I do it in a parking lot or something. Accidently hitting the Stebel would probably be really embarrassing. Has anyone else has this problem, and is it possible to do anything about it... increase the necessary force to trigger the horn, or something? Thanks,

Kegan

Oh yeah, I hit mine all the time with my winter gloves. I hit the horn everytime I cancel the turn signals. I don't worry about it. Sure I get some "what the hell" looks but I don't care.

• Member Contributer

I love my Stebel....Loud as SH!T....

This thing is wonderful and paid for itself about a month after I put it on (way back in MA...)...It doesn't fit well on the ABS models, and it IS tight under the front fork. The spacing is tight and it does rub, but doesn't hurt anything. The other thing, The ABS model VFR's don't have the TAB. I ended up making myself a "T" bracket to span the open space, and utterly destroyed 2 band-saw blades doing so. A plasma cutter or water jet would have been MUCH better :-)

If I can find my pics, I'll post 'em up. ABS model 2004, installed under the front fork, tight clearance, less a few of the bugs :-)

-VFRnGTP

• Member Contributer

Yea, between the forks // above the fender works okay on a ABS model, unless you've lowered the front end after rotating the triangle or going with a longer dogbone link. The latter applies to me, which is why I went with installing it where the EVAP canister normally resides. BTW Veefer Madness, I don't know about the other 49 State bikes, but on my CA model the EVAP canister is mounted in front of the oil pan and sorta nested just behind the head pipes. I made brackets out of flat stainless steel that tucks the Stebel into that area, although the horn outlet is close to the head pipes. Like I said, so far no problems with mounting it in that location.

• Member Contributer

Kegan

Oh yeah, I hit mine all the time with my winter gloves. I hit the horn everytime I cancel the turn signals. I don't worry about it. Sure I get some "what the hell" looks but I don't care.

I hit mine all the time, too. I have the same concern, but I think I would rather be embarrassed a few times than have a horn button which is not so easy to operate. I thought about keeping the stock horn and having a switch for the Stebel so that when I'm doing city driving I can avoid accidental triggering. My main need for the Stebel will be at freeway speeds, i think.

I dunno. Anyone else have any ideas on this?

As soon as I upgrade my electrical harness, I plan on installing my Stebel.

no more working on the bike until I get my hardwood project finished. So I guess I should get back to nailing boards and quit wasting time on here!

Yea, between the forks // above the fender works okay on a ABS model, unless you've lowered the front end after rotating the triangle or going with a longer dogbone link. The latter applies to me, which is why I went with installing it where the EVAP canister normally resides. BTW Veefer Madness, I don't know about the other 49 State bikes, but on my CA model the EVAP canister is mounted in front of the oil pan and sorta nested just behind the head pipes. I made brackets out of flat stainless steel that tucks the Stebel into that area, although the horn outlet is close to the head pipes. Like I said, so far no problems with mounting it in that location.

Thanks. I was thinking there too. I saw an empty hole cast on each side of the lower crankcase. Is that where the EVAP mounts somehow?

Kinda here...

gallery_8015_2865_724430.jpg

Picture.jpg

I inserted a rod in between for my slider kit there, number 10, but I'm switching to Radar's kit.

Greg

• Member Contributer

Any chance you found some pics of your 5th gen install?

At the risk of being a smart @ss, it's been six weeks since you posted that you'd put up pics when you get home...has somebody been feeding your dog while your gone? +1.gif

My bad! I'm sorry my personal life is slowing down your bike modifications. Bracket was made from 3/16" aluminum and

keep in mind - additional cutting may be required if you use OEM brake lines.

gallery_1323_2915_32563.jpg

Stebel Front View.jpg

gallery_1323_2915_18401.jpg

Stebel Angle 1.jpg

gallery_1323_2915_14045.jpg

Stebel Angle 2.jpg

gallery_1323_2915_32578.jpg

Stebel diagram.jpg

Guest mtbvfr
My bad! I'm sorry my personal life is slowing down your bike modifications. Bracket was made from 3/16" aluminum and

Thanks Sparky!

Now, I just need help in acquiring the extra wiring. Anyone, please?

• Member Contributer

gallery_1323_2915_32563.jpg

Stebel Front View.jpg

gallery_1323_2915_18401.jpg

Stebel Angle 1.jpg

gallery_1323_2915_14045.jpg

Stebel Angle 2.jpg

gallery_1323_2915_32578.jpg

Stebel diagram.jpg

Ok, time to find a Stebel...

• Member Contributer

Approx $40 here and includes relay. After some douchebag started drifting into my lane the other day, I figure it's about time. Of course, this sucker might cause them to overreact and send their car into a ditch. Oops...sorry. :o

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137

Thanks for the nice writeups here, folks. The link to Twisted Throttle includes some good info, as well.

~Fred

• Member Contributer
Sebspeed asked me to check the horn install I did on my bike in the spring, to see if there was any "surprises" that I might not have noticed.

I just took the biek out, and had a close look. Everything looks great. No rub marks on any lines, the horn is still tight into the bracket, alls good.

Heres a bunch of pictures - more for Seb to get anidea of how it fits.

I go the Stebel off of Lobster, and he was kind enough to epoxy a screen over the output area, so that it wouldn't get filled up with crud.....

IMG_3131_1_1_1.jpg

So I just noticed (unless i'm nuts)... your horn tank/motor appears to be laying on it's instead of "within 15 degrees of vertical"... It is still working well in this orientation? If it is, wonder what is the reason they want it mounted vertically?