Stebel Air Horn - Post Season Review

KanadianKen

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darn it Ken: Nick and I were talking at TexasMac about how I wanted to hear a Stebel horn sometime but didn't know who had one. I wanted a demo. :pissed:

Sorry Marty - I blew the damn thing at just about everyone near me - sorry you missed it. Ok - I'll load up and head back. Be there in about 20 hours....... :thumbsup:

Darn it Ken: Nick and I were talking at TexasMac about how I wanted to hear a Stebel horn sometime but didn't know who had one. I wanted a demo. +1.gif

Sorry Marty - I blew the damn thing at just about everyone near me - sorry you missed it. Ok - I'll load up and head back. Be there in about 20 hours....... :thumbsup:

I figured you would come back at the drop of a hat. +1.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest 12 volt terry

Good question thereisnospoon,

So, regarding the correct install, what position is firing down? Stebel gives no indication which way is firing down. If we were to assume the position of the font indicated direction then the correct angle is what sparkydog21 did.

On the other hand, CanadianKen & (I can only assume) NVR2L8 installed theirs in what seems to be lying flat. But one could argue as based on the angle of the trumpet it is still firing down.

NVR2L8: Would be super cool if you could post pics because you are one of the few that have successfully installed on a 6th gen with ABS.

I'm really confused here because the firing angle is really important where there is a lot of rain. NVR2L8 I believe you live in a more arid climate than I do in Vancouver BC where god washes EVERYTHING EVERY day of the year here. (Your install works though in terms of heat issues & clearance.)

I will see if Daniel Paul's rear brake reservoir location works.

Edited by 12 volt terry

Good question thereisnospoon,

So, regarding the correct install, what position is firing down? If I go Stebel's description of what side they describe as the height side then the correct angle is what sparkydog21 did.

On the other hand, CanadianKen & (I can only assume) NVR2L8 installed theirs in what seems to be lying flat. But one could argue as based on the angle of the trumpet it is still firing down.

NVR2L8: Would be super cool if you could post pics because you are one of the few that have successfully installed on a 6th gen with ABS.

I'm really confused here because the firing angle is really important where there is a lot of rain. NVR2L8 I believe you live in a more arid climate than I do in Vancouver BC where god washes EVERYTHING EVERY day of the year here. (Your install works though in terms of heat issues & clearance.)

I will see if Daniel Paul's battery reservoir location works

Battery reservoir location? What do you mean? :goofy:

Me too!!!! +1.gif

It's time to hide mine, I think although this hasn't been any trouble.....

gallery_8015_2963_683917.jpg

DSCF0003_edited.JPG

As far as angle/rain etc., as long as the ports are angled so that the horn doesn't FILL with water, you should be okay.

Also, the small air intake hole for the horn did come with an optional 'angle' piece? so you can attach a corresponding sized tubing and route it where you like, to get 'dry' air..... somebody mentioned down behind the front headers where some 'Mericuns have/had the evaporator can installed was a good spot for the horn too....

ABS PICS PLEASE!!!!!!

Greg

Guest 12 volt terry

(I have edited my post above. There were errors and I was not specific enough. My apologies.)

Veefer Madness: I mean't to say rear brake reservoir. Your idea of routing some tubing for dry air is a 100% full-on champ idea. THANKS! :thumbsup:

Daniel Paul: I see no way a Stebel Nautilus Compact could fit anywhere back there. Your idea certainly interests me. Are you using the same model horn as me? There are 2 different units with different dimensions. The Nautilus Compact is the largest but also the loudest. A pic would be GREATLY appreciated.

Here's is what I will try later today. I will post pics. I will assume a downward firing direction means the Stebel font is horizontal. This will be the same direction as Veefer Madness's. I will mount it in front of the oil pan but above & behind the headers off to the right hand side. This location provides enough space for it to NOT touch anything. But note you only have around 1/2" clearance. I will utilize 2 factory bolt hole locations. (Even with the aide of the service manual I have no idea where the EVAP used to go but if I had to guess these mounts would be it.) I'm hoping that with 2 mounting locations my brackets will not need to be as robust and complicated as those that mounted with only one. This location also allows for easy access to the oil filter. I will run some tubing for a dry air intake.