Dynamo Humm Big Bore Kit User Feedback

Dan

Question

• Member Contributer
i recently inquired about the big bore and they told me they dont do it any more

Oh man! Now I have to call them today to see what the real deal is.

As noted by Veefer, the kit is still on their site.

I hope that your info is wrong.

So, has anyone even ridden a VFR with a big bore in it?

Dan

• Member Contributer
Dan,

If you are heading to the WDGAH gathering this weekend you can talk with Steve Rodgriguez. He had the work done on his VFR and speaks highly of the changes. Steve is on the "Big List" or just check out the WDGAH registration page and get his email.

Thanks. I would like to go but my desire to celebrate my 18 year anniversary supercedes my desire to ride my VFR.

If you see Steve do you think that you could mention this to him and possible get his email address for me? It would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and thanks for the 3rd hand info from him. Every little bit helps.

Best,

Dan

• Member Contributer

Just my 2 cents but I cant imagine that the expense of the kit plus the machine work required is really worth it. I would also think that as soon as you crack the motor open that the dependability and longevity will be diminished also.

Wouldn't a power commander, some other tweaks and maybe some cams with a different grind get you close to the same hp and torque ? Take the extra dough and get some suspension upgrades ?

• Member Contributer

I can understand how you might feel that way.

Nothing that I am aware of can add up to 20 hp to a VFR. OTOH, adding those little things to any engine is going to improve HP so I'd imagine that those tweaks might just bring a big bore up above 120. :idea3:

I like doing odd things to unique machines. To me any other bike with more HP isn't a VFR. smile.gif

As for reliability, yeah, any power mod is going to decrease engine life. I suppose that as long as one does not want to have his cake and eat it, too, one is ok. (If I do this and you ever hear me complaining about longevity please remind me that I said this. smile.gif )

Best,

Dan

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the comments guys, and staaf, you don't know me, so I'm just gonna let those comments pass. If you really think that the reason why I'm leaving is because of this thread...dude, you just haven't been paying attention.

Lately, I've tried very hard to research information and make sure that my posts are factual and information packed, rather than full of static and garbage like some posts on this thread. When hard work and good research are not only unappreciated but ridiculed, there's simply no point in continuing it. Therefore the pearls reference. It takes hours, sometimes days, of research in many different areas and I've always posted it in good faith. It only takes 5 seconds to post an asshole comment and that makes all that work not feel very worthwhile.

I've decided that while it's important to further the development on the VFR, it's more important to further development in other areas of my life that are much more meaningful to me on a personal level. That includes real people in real life, and not on some chat board on the internet somewhere.

Thanks for the support that some of you have shown, and for the mail showing support. I'll be checking in from time to time just to see how the good guys are getting along. I'll see you at the VFRD fall ride.

Happy trails, and I wish the best for everybody.

• Member Contributer

My next problem was that I don't really know what parts I am going to need if I am going to piece together a big bore kit rather than just plunk down a wad of cash and buy a pre built kit. Then it occurred to me that VFRD was the best place to get help with this project.

So, what I am looking for is a parts list for my FrankenViffer Big Bore project. I am essentially looking to do the 781 to 870 mod that Dynamo Humm sells. I don't want to do any more than that. When giving me a part please help me with as much detail as possible. Things like specs and part number will be great. Helping with sourcing will be even better.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Dan

Dan on short notice this is the best I can do. I will flesh this out as time permits.

Big Bore VFR800.

Cheap

Reliable

Horsepower

Pick two of the above, because that’s all you can have. One of the things I have wanted to do since I got the VTEC was to boost the power. My approach to getting more from the VFR engine would be increasing the bore. It is simple, has been done, and I would guess an order of magnitude cheaper than having the crankshaft stroke changed. For instance Falicon makes a stroker crankshaft for SVs. They are $2400.

Parts required are:

Pistons

Rings

Wrist Pins & Clips

Connecting Rods

Crankshaft balance and polish

Big end bearings

Crankshaft bearings

Head gaskets

Complete engine gasket kit

Other things that come to mind in no particular order:

Cams reground

Head decked

Ignition timing adjustments

Fuel rail and injector modifications or change

Fuel pressure regulator increase

Power Commander

‘Catless’ exhaust or custom made exhaust pipes

Access to a dynamometer for a few hours to sort out the ignition timing and fueling.

Comments and concerns;

The back of the envelope cost for this would be $3000 to $5000. The person that said it would be cheaper to buy a different bike is correct. They miss the point though.

High compression may require the use of high test fuel or worse race fuel.

Cam regrinding is new territory. Has anyone any leads on re-grinders or even profiles? Is it possible to do an exhaust cam swap as is done on SV650s?

What effect will this have the VTEC engine.

Reliability would be a huge question of mine. It is the engine cases that would be of the most concern to me. As this has never been done before, on this motor anyway, no one really knows what the design limits of the engine cases are.

Installing matched pistons, high performance rods, and a worked crankshaft will be the only things the builder can do to maintain some semblance of reliability.

The first thing I would look for is a crashed up VTEC, with the engine in running order. Form there I would begin collecting parts for the build. This would be a long term project for me and is something I can imagine doing.

• Member Contributer

Have you seen the Dynamo Humm kit yet? For $1700 in parts you get what you need for a 15-17 HP boost and almost 100cc more.

I just want a few more ponies. Knowing that the core of the kit is a sleeve and piston job I don't know if I have to worry so much more about reliability than I otherwise would. Do you think that sort of increase would significatntly reduce durability?

I appreciate all of the factual information you have provided. I'll look forward to whatever additional research that you provide.

Best,

Dan

• Member Contributer

Dan, I have seen those kits but I haven't looked very far. For some reason I seem to recall them not being for the 6th gen. I haven't gone any further than checking out their site and doing a search on the 'big list'. Here is the google I did today: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=v...amp;safe=active

The $1700 is CDN dollars so it is really around $1300US. This may be the way to go, if it fits a VTEC. A set of rods would cost a few hundred each. My choice would be Carrillo. Falicon will balance and polish the crank for $500.

As I said I think I will keep and eye on that 'auction site' for an engine. Watch this thread.

Brown81, is that your bike? What do you know about it?

• Member Contributer
Brown81, is that your bike? What do you know about it?

Oh man, I wish!! I got that photo from a VFRD thread. It was either this one or another one about the bigbore kits. I followed some links and found it. I saved the pic as I thought it was awesome looking! That's all I know....

I just tried to open the DynamoHumm site and all I got was a home page and no contents, Are they now out of business?

The owner of dynamohumm went into partnership with racer Pascal Picotte. The new shop was called Picotte Performance.

Apparently the business venture did not pan out as expected. I do not know the details.

Yes, they are shut down now.

For big bore pistons, you can source them from TTS performance. They are manufactured by JE, so if you can find a source stateside, then......

http://www.tts-performance.com/catalog/pro...f65a3cf018261a9

For big bore pistons, you can source them from TTS performance.

waddabout regular size pistons for the VFR ? :joystick:

Your friendly local Honda dealer?

Srsly, I've not seen anyone offering pistons for the VFR800 in anything but oversize.

Just checked the Wiseco site, nothing on tap for the VFR.

• Member Contributer
I just tried to open the DynamoHumm site and all I got was a home page and no contents, Are they now out of business?

The owner of dynamohumm went into partnership with racer Pascal Picotte. The new shop was called Picotte Performance.

Apparently the business venture did not pan out as expected. I do not know the details.

Yes, they are shut down now.

For big bore pistons, you can source them from TTS performance. They are manufactured by JE, so if you can find a source stateside, then......

http://www.tts-performance.com/catalog/pro...f65a3cf018261a9

Last I heard, DOUGTHECOOK is planning on taking his 4th Gen over to Ireland for a BB.

Try this place. You might be able to order the kit from them and find a place local to you to to the install. I was hoping to take my VFR there this spring, however my passport is the holdup now, might have to wait until Fall '08, as I don't want to cut out any of the already short riding season here.

http://www.holeshotracing.co.uk/tuning/honda_vfr.asp

• Member Contributer
i recently inquired about the big bore and they told me they dont do it any more

Oh man! Now I have to call them today to see what the real deal is.

As noted by Veefer, the kit is still on their site.

I hope that your info is wrong.

So, has anyone even ridden a VFR with a big bore in it?

Dan

I dug into this once and it would run ~ $4500 to get it all together. In addition to the parts, you need of course to bore the cylinders out and then get them replated. Millenium Racing in Wisconson is the expert in that area. The TS kit in England puts the cc's at 821 and for the bucks I didnt think a 50cc boost justifys the cost. Someday I may crack the heads and do port and polish on the valves, but 50cc is not enuff.

MD

• Member Contributer
Try this place. You might be able to order the kit from them and find a place local to you to to the install. I was hoping to take my VFR there this spring, however my passport is the holdup now, might have to wait until Fall '08, as I don't want to cut out any of the already short riding season here.

http://www.holeshotracing.co.uk/tuning/honda_vfr.asp

If you need me to ride your bike to Ireland and will supply Guinness along the way, I'm yer maun!!!!! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Someday I may crack the heads and do port and polish on the valves, but 50cc is not enuff.

MD

Honda eventually got around 180+ hp out of the RV750 so you know there's gotta be a few ponies hiding in there somewhere... :goofy:

The JE pistons are not only bigger but they are also much more equal in weight and diameter (blueprinting).

Also the pistons have a different shape and angle of the surface = (almost) race surface.

Performance/Money ratio of the Toro Supercharger is much better than a big bore...

I have a Bigbore kit in my '91 VFR, to get all the benefits you also need bigger inlet valves, bigger airbox (more air!), more fuel and a new exhaust (full system).

On the dyno:

standard engine: 90HP

+Big bore: 114

+exhaust and more air (airbox with big hole + K&N filter) 118

+bigger valves, ported head, full exhaust system 121

+Bigger carbs and bigger (ram)airbox: 125HP

• Member Contributer
Performance/Money ratio of the Toro Supercharger is much better than a big bore...

I think I'll have to go ahead and agree with you there. I'm not even sure of the price yet, but I guarantee the $/hp margin will be better than all but the cheapest of slip-on pipes.

Let us also not forget that the average customer will be able to install the supercharger kit themselves without having to take the engine apart.

Archived