What were the real differences between the 5th and 6th gen?

Hey,

Just doing some thinking (dangerous stuff, I know) about the differences between the 5th and 6th gen VFRs.

So far as I can tell the frame is, basically, the same. I think the swingarm might be different??? The braking setup is a little different I think, although the calipers are the same. The suspension is a bit beefier on the 6th gen (I think....thicker forks maybe?). 

Now, to the heart of the bike, the engine. I've read that Honda used the RC45 tooling to make the engine for the 5th gen VFR 800 (and this meant there would be no more RC45s as the tooling had to be modified to such an extent that it couldn't be easily changed back). That 5th gen had gear driven cams mounted on the side of the engine. 

I know the BIG change between the 5th and 6th generation was that the 6th gen did away with the gear-driven cams and, instead, used a conventional chain driven cam setup. The other BIG change was the inclusion of the VTEC system within the head of each bank of cylinders.

However, were there any other modifications to the engine between the 5th and 6th gen? Did Honda have to do a full redesign to accommodate the VTEC and cam chain setup?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, fabio222 said:

Now, to the heart of the bike, the engine. I've read that Honda used the RC45 tooling to make the engine for the 5th gen VFR 800 (and this meant there would be no more RC45s as the tooling had to be modified to such an extent that it couldn't be easily changed back). That 5th gen had gear driven cams mounted on the side of the engine. 

You're correct... Honda did used the RC45 tooling to make the engine for the 5th gen VFR 800... specifically adding bearing support structure to carry a swingarm pivot...

My friend Makota San previous job was Chief Engineer Honda R&D who
invented Honda's VTEC... he calls VTEC "his baby" and recalls his boss
being super skeptical of the idea working at all...
gallery_3131_5511_17541.jpg

Makota San down on cannery row...
gallery_3131_5511_48694.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I think you'll find there are some internal gearbox ratio differences between the 5th and the 6th. The crank is obviously different (gear vs chain sprocket for the cams) but AFAIK the bore and stroke are the same (so maybe rods and pistons?), and I assume the lower crankcase is too. I suspect the alternators are different. I know at least one person has swapped a 5th gen engine into the 6th frame so I presume the engne mounts are the same. 

So aside from the crank, upper case/cylinders, heads, gearbox, alternator...its all the same? Probably doesn't leave much.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Aside the obvoius engine differences, the 6th frame has thicker sections and therefore stiffer and also the front forks are 43mm and stiffer as well. 

That is why some guys have installed a 5th engine in a 6th gen. 

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Along with the above mentioned items, other changes included different fuel injectors, ABS brake option, tweaked the Linked Brake system, slightly bigger fuel tank.

Throttle response is much worse on the 6th gen, imnsho. I've owned a couple of 3rd gen VFR750s, two 5th gen VFR800s, and a 6th gen - my current ride. From zero to a little throttle the 6th gen is abrupt, not so much fun on tight twisty roads like California's Hwy 1 from the coast to Leggett. Also, my 6th gen has boxier handlebars & footpegs than all of my previous VFRs. It is my first Honda that makes a throttle lock a necessity for long rides.

All that said, the biggest difference between the VFR800 generations is how they look and sound, so buy with your heart not your brain.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Well that takes the cake for a comprehensive answer Cogswell! Well done!

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Cogswell said:

That's probably more than anyone wants to hear. 

Now hold on there, sonny. Us olds love to poke through all the gory details 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fantastic information here, thanks everyone. 

I've got a 4th gen and a 6th gen. Both have their merits but I was reading recently about the differences between the 4th and 5th gen but just didn't know as much about the differences between the 5th and 6th gen. 

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Cogswell said:

* 5th gen engine bolts right in to the 5th gen frame - no mods needed.

That is a good start to a project!

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer

I had a '98 5th Gen for several years and 130k miles, an '08 6th Gen for 79k miles and have had 2 Mk2 VFR800X Crossrunners (same engine as 14+ VFR800F) for 50k miles so I do feel qualified to to have an opinion on them wrt each other, even if I'm not that technically minded.

The 5th was love within the first 1/4 mile of riding it, that engine! Wow, blew my mind after not riding for a number of years. But it has always looked a bit 'overweight' and bulbous, certainly compared to the 6th Gen and had plenty of issues especially in the early days. I grew to love the looks of the 6th, especially the stacked headlights. It did everything better than the 5th.....except the engine. The VTEC was unrefined, even in an 08 model although fuel consumption was better and the VTEC rush when it kicked in was nice but it would have been nicer to have the smoother torque curve of the 5th without the torque drops preceding the VTEC kick. Handling, braking, looks (in the eye of the beholder), lighting were all better. But the VTEC was a technology looking for a reason to exist. Only introduced to meet emissions regs and it threatened to ruin a great engine.

Fast forward to the 2014 800F / 2015 800X and you have the best 800 of all imo. Honda have refined the VTEC engine significantly and the rest of the bike is as much an upgrade as it was from 5th to 6th Gen. I'm sure any 800F owners would agree as I've only ridden the 800F once but I have absolutely loved my 2 800X's and wouldn't swap them.

Having said all that, I do own an '01 5th Gen too.

The VFR1200 is the best VFR ever made. 😉

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

I have very little to add. My 5th gen is superb, as was the 5th gen before it. The 6th gen I rented nearly got thrown in the ocean the VTEC was so bad. In my mind, there's no comparison. 

I wonder were sone VTECs worse than others? On a per-bike basis. One 2003 model feeling different to another 2003 model.

It happened with rear suspension/weaving issues on Pans of that era. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, fabio222 said:

I wonder were sone VTECs worse than others? On a per-bike basis. One 2003 model feeling different to another 2003 model.

It happened with rear suspension/weaving issues on Pans of that era. 

Yes, anecdotally from rider reports. 06+ models introduced the staged VTEC points, approx 6800rpm on acceleration, 6400rpm on deceleration. They could still be quite harsh though.

• Member Contributer

In my business we call VTEC on a bike a solution without a problem. You guys can have and love them, but I'm sticking with VFR tradition. lol

36 minutes ago, bmart said:

In my business we call VTEC on a bike a solution without a problem. You guys can have and love them, but I'm sticking with VFR tradition. lol

Go one better.

Have both 😂.

I see it as a typical Honda technological willy-waving.

"We believe we can do this so we are going to do it" - same with oval pistons, same with linked brakes, same with VTEC. 

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, fabio222 said:

I see it as a typical Honda technological willy-waving.

"We believe we can do this so we are going to do it" - same with oval pistons, same with linked brakes, same with VTEC. 

Of those three answers to questions no one asked...  one is cool.

• Member Contributer

In my learned opinion VTEC (Vacillating Torque Engine Compartment) was successful on heavy autos
but it's been 50 / 50 when applied to lighter weight bikes because of the unwanted bump in the power ban...

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I've wanted to know, like forever, how a 6th gen would run if the VTEC was forced on. The manual is vague on the specifics but it seems that the ECM only cares about engine rpm and coolant temp to open or close a spool valve. But I am just daydreaming...

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, tsmitty said:

Did their motorcycle VTECs back then actuate a larger cam profile or valving?

VTEC on the bikes activates 4 valves per cylinder at higher revs and 2 vavlves at lower revs. I think the earliest iteration had asplit forked rockers and a locking pin slid across to lock the two valves together. The VFR system stuck with the shim under bucket direct valve actuation of earlier models but the VTEC valves have special buckets that also use a locking pin activated by hydraulic pressure to connect to the valve stem. It sounds terrifying but clearly isn't as mechanically deadly as I would have thought.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, Lorne said:

I've wanted to know, like forever, how a 6th gen would run if the VTEC was forced on. The manual is vague on the specifics but it seems that the ECM only cares about engine rpm and coolant temp to open or close a spool valve. But I am just daydreaming...

I also wondered what would happen if you used the non-VTEC buckets and valves in the VTEC positions so 16 valve operation is constant. It appears the cam lobes are the same on both VTEC and not VTEC valves. Probably not worth the effort.