How Does The 8Th Gen Rate? Is It The Best Vfr Yet?

Kingmdm

• Member Contributer

Taking delivery of a Gen 8 in a couple of days. Keeping my fingers crossed. The magazine reviews have been goog for the most part. What do you guys think.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

You have 3 4th gen which I find to be a very close second to the 5th gen in VFR greatness.

I do like the 8G more than a 6G (better brakes and stock suspension, feels more nimble and narrow, looks better-subjective I know-except for the exhaust).

Hard to go wrong with any V4 Honda.

• Member Contributer

Thanks CornerCarver. It's hard to argue with a 9 V4 multi gen Honda garager! But I think the linked brakes, side mounted radiators and bulbous appearance places the 5th gen behind the "NRish" RC36. That being said, many agree with your view.

• Member Contributer

Taking delivery of a Gen 8 in a couple of days. Keeping my fingers crossed. The magazine reviews have been goog for the most part. What do you guys think.

:lurk:

And I assume you mean "...best VFR 750/800 yet?" :wink:

• Member Contributer

Hard to go wrong with any V4 Honda.

:1: If I could and had the space I'd have one from every gen. Alas, 2 will have to do!

• Member Contributer

I was going to do a one thousand mile impression post of the eight gen. compared to others I've owned so this is as good a place to do it as any. Keep in mind, most of it is opinion. BTW, my opinions are almost always right....LOL......

Background, I've owned a 5th gen., 6th gen., and now an 8th gen. among other bikes, one definitely faster than VFR's.

I did not like the downright dangerous front stock suspension of the 5th gen. Few people ever experienced what it is capable of doing to you but let it suffice there is a very good reason the sixth gen. has one millimeter larger diameter front forks. They can save your life. I had a likely near death experience with my fifth gen. when I put it in a "just right" cornering position that twisted the front forks on dry pavement. It's a complicated phenomena that gets a bit hairy to say the least but I never trusted the bike again after that. Too complicated to go into here. The sound of the gear driven cams never really was an orgasm to me. I did like the very slightly better acceleration over the sixth gen. due to one more tooth on the rear sprocket.

Sixth gen.: I liked it except for the looks compared to either the 5th or eighth gen. The front of the 6th is just ugly to me as are the upper rear mounted exhausts. Other than that, I liked the way it ran. The VTEC engagement never really bothered me nor was mine abrupt. If it came on in the middle of a tight corner, I just never had a problem with it. Like any VFR, it's fast enough for me. If people got their way and it magically turned into a liter engine, they couldn't handle the power so that's no big deal where I ride....in the Appalachians....the most challenging overall riding in the country IMHO. Witness how first timers struggle at TMAC.

Eighth gen.: Mine is "snatchy" on the throttle but that will go away in time as my 6th gen did. I think VFR engines really smooth out over time. Overall looks are much better than the 6th but the 5th is a beauty too. The instrument panel is an abortion. Time will tell if an oil change and maintenance is easier to deal with considering the new body work. I like the smaller front fender but not the forward sloping gas tank. I used to be a tank hugger in the twisties. The stock muffler is titanic in size but mine will likely stay stock as I don't see the point in loud "billy bad ass" mufflers. It's hard to get meaningful more power out of a VFR. The power curve is definitely different in the 8th as is the VTEC engagement. VTEC engagement never really bothered me on the 6th even in curves so no big deal to me. The 8th just isn't like a part of my body yet and that's because I've been totally off of bikes for 5 years. I'm also not in as good physical shape but that's temporary. Riding a VFR quick in the Appalachians takes more physical effort than some people know. I live in the Appalachians so that will take care of itself. I really don't care if I get back up to my "quickness" level or not because I was burning through good rear tires in 2000 miles and less at times. That's getting on the dark side with a VFR to me. So, to answer the OP's question, I think the 8th will end up being an overall significant improvement in spite of a few faults. Oh, if those that want a liter engine got them, they would likely not last long anyway. How fast do you want to go in the twisties? My experience with significantly more hp in the Appalachians doesn't necessarily translate into faster asphalt speed for the vast majority of riders. Bailyrock being the exception of course. He can outrun most of us on a scooter...... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Kingmdm, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of the 8th gen considering you own what has to be the best generation VFR. The fourth.

I was going to do a one thousand mile impression post of the eight gen. compared to others I've owned so this is as good a place to do it as any. Keep in mind, most of it is opinion. BTW, my opinions are almost always right....LOL......

Background, I've owned a 5th gen., 6th gen., and now an 8th gen. among other bikes, one definitely faster than VFR's.

I did not like the downright dangerous front stock suspension of the 5th gen. Few people ever experienced what it is capable of doing to you but let it suffice there is a very good reason the sixth gen. has one millimeter larger diameter front forks. They can save your life. I had a likely near death experience with my fifth gen. when I put it in a "just right" cornering position that twisted the front forks on dry pavement. It's a complicated phenomena that gets a bit hairy to say the least but I never trusted the bike again after that. Too complicated to go into here. The sound of the gear driven cams never really was an orgasm to me. I did like the very slightly better acceleration over the sixth gen. due to one more tooth on the rear sprocket.

Sixth gen.: I liked it except for the looks compared to either the 5th or eighth gen. The front of the 6th is just ugly to me as are the upper rear mounted exhausts. Other than that, I liked the way it ran. The VTEC engagement never really bothered me nor was mine abrupt. If it came on in the middle of a tight corner, I just never had a problem with it. Like any VFR, it's fast enough for me. If people got their way and it magically turned into a liter engine, they couldn't handle the power so that's no big deal where I ride....in the Appalachians....the most challenging overall riding in the country IMHO. Witness how first timers struggle at TMAC.

Eighth gen.: Mine is "snatchy" on the throttle but that will go away in time as my 6th gen did. I think VFR engines really smooth out over time. Overall looks are much better than the 6th but the 5th is a beauty too. The instrument panel is an abortion. Time will tell if an oil change and maintenance is easier to deal with considering the new body work. I like the smaller front fender but not the forward sloping gas tank. I used to be a tank hugger in the twisties. The stock muffler is titanic in size but mine will likely stay stock as I don't see the point in loud "billy bad ass" mufflers. It's hard to get meaningful more power out of a VFR. The power curve is definitely different in the 8th as is the VTEC engagement. VTEC engagement never really bothered me on the 6th even in curves so no big deal to me. The 8th just isn't like a part of my body yet and that's because I've been totally off of bikes for 5 years. I'm also not in as good physical shape but that's temporary. Riding a VFR quick in the Appalachians takes more physical effort than some people know. I live in the Appalachians so that will take care of itself. I really don't care if I get back up to my "quickness" level or not because I was burning through good rear tires in 2000 miles and less at times. That's getting on the dark side with a VFR to me. So, to answer the OP's question, I think the 8th will end up being an overall significant improvement in spite of a few faults. Oh, if those that want a liter engine got them, they would likely not last long anyway. How fast do you want to go in the twisties? My experience with significantly more hp in the Appalachians doesn't necessarily translate into faster asphalt speed for the vast majority of riders. Bailyrock being the exception of course. He can outrun most of us on a scooter...... :goofy:

You're taking the piss, right..?

• Member Contributer

You're taking the piss, right..?

Translate.

• Member Contributer

"You're pulling (my leg), right?"

No answer is an answer when deserved and no, don't take that as a "killing the messenger intent". I assume you were merely the translator. Life is such a detail.

I did like the very slightly better acceleration over the sixth gen. due to one more tooth on the rear sprocket.

I did not understand this 5th vs. 6th comparison. The sprocket configuration:

5th gen: 17 / 43

6th gen: 16/ 43

Also the gearing is different.

I would not dispute your result, that the fifth is slightly faster than the sixth, that could be, particularly due to weight. Just that it would not be an obvious result of the sprocket configuration.

• Member Contributer

Good to see you back, Bent!

Agree with your assessment on fifth gen front forks. I had them fully serviced as per factory manual but because they are non adjustable for rebound or compression, I found out the hard way they can dive real hard under full on emergency braking and rebound real quick and high side the rider. The eight gen (dlx) in us has rebound adjstable forks that perform much better. I had three-way adjustable ohlins on the fifth gen but the eight gen rear shock is capable of matching the performance I got out of the ohlins. Hv no problems with the vtec coming into play, transition on and off is smooth. Put 5000km on since I bought it and along with a scottoiler and oil change, it is a smooth riding bike. Quick shifter helps and I like the heated grips, abs and traction control. The slimmer fairing genuinely improves the bikes demeanour in windy conditions prevalent in my country. Where the yellow 99 could be blown around, the eighth gen knives through crosswinds gust without losing composure in even 100 km/h gusts.

• Member Contributer

Good to see you back, Bent!

Thank you Rice. I never really thought I would be back but never underestimate the fallacy of being able to direct your own life.

• Member Contributer

It seems to me there are some people who react negatively anytime anything negative said about a fifth generation bike. It's pushing 20 years later. Get over it.

In this thread? I missed it.

I've put a few (hundred thousand) miles on 4th, 5th, 6th, and my beloved 7th gen VFRs, and was able to flog a press bike 8th when they first hit the market. My opinion of the 8th is that is an incremental improvement to the 6th gen with no negatives (that I noticed) compared to the 6th, but improvements in suspension feel, overall suspension balance, brakes, and definitely in VTEC engagement (though, to be fair, the latter 6th gens were getting that pretty dialed in). To me it felt a little more nimble compared to the 6th gen, and was a LOT better looking (subjective) with overall better fit and finish.

Of course it's really no comparison to the 7th gen as they are completely different beasts.

I think Honda is as close with the 8th gen as they are likely to get to bringing the soul of the 5th gen to us (some of us will always miss the gear driven cams ...especially when it comes to doing service). Even though the frame is the same, the 6th gen always felt a little less compact to me than the 5th, and the 8th returns to that feeling of compactness ...not sure if it has to do with the revised swingarm design, or just a psychological effect of the more compact bodywork.

IMHO the 8th gen VFR is as much bike as anyone really *needs*. It has enough grunt to go anywhere relatively quickly, and is just such a well mannered and balanced machine that you will never find a reason to move on besides the want for something new / different. I can hustle my big V12 just as quickly through the canyons of southern California as I could on the 750 / 800 VFRs, but it's more work ...the payoff is simply a lot more torque and power; but if the 8th gen had come out when I was looking to dump my 5th (front suspension was dangerously bad, and I didn't want to drop the coin to upgrade it at that point in the bike's life) I would have bought the updated 800 ...I never really liked the 6th gen's looks enough to go down that road (though I did "borrow" one for a few months). :)

Just my $.02 but I think the 8th is a fantastic motorcycle, and a platform that is capable of doing just about anything you could want it to. ...and the white version is just begging for some blue and red racing stripe graphics!!! :)

I found mine snatchy, but that was totally due to the excess slack in throttle cable. Tightened it up and its fine. I will qualify my suggestion by saying I'm used to V-Twins.

The Akrapovic pipe, while absurdly priced, is hardly louder than stock at full tilt, but is so much better looking and sounding.

• Member Contributer

8th Gen it's a VTEC, enough said ..

Cut it some slack, that's not enough reason to dismiss it without a fair chance.

Better brakes, better handling, almost 25 lighter than the 6G and the vtec transition is almost seamless. It's a good bike in spite of the vtec.

Hoping mine smooths out with a few miles. I avoid hitting it while leaned over at all in first. The first few times, I thought the back end was stepping out. Might try to get it on a dyno to make sure everything is working right.

• Member Contributer

It seems to me there are some people who react negatively anytime anything negative said about a fifth generation bike. It's pushing 20 years later. Get over it.

It seems to me there are some people who react negatively anytime anything is said about VTEC in any generation. It's pushing 15 years. Get over it.

Hoping mine smooths out with a few miles. I avoid hitting it while leaned over at all in first. The first few times, I thought the back end was stepping out. Might try to get it on a dyno to make sure everything is working right.

If your VTEC is engaging enough to make you think the back end is getting away from you, there's either something wrong with your bike or you and that wasn't meant to be a personal attack or swipe at you. Try working on a smooth throttle hand. That goes for riding any bike.

It's not a jump in power, it's like an interruption in the acceleration or hesitation. The dealer I bought from is having a dyno day next weekend. They won't be hooking the a/f up, but I'll at least be able to see the power curve.

It's not a jump in power, it's like an interruption in the acceleration or hesitation. The dealer I bought from is having a dyno day next weekend. They won't be hooking the a/f up, but I'll at least be able to see the power curve.

If you are cracking the throttle open while leaned over in first gear, the hesitation could be traction control kicking in if you have the delux model. I corner switchbacks or hair pins in second gear at past vtec engagement point and have no problems. I once cracked the throttle from first gear at the drag strip and traction control kicked in. The engine hesitated and then recovered. As bent said, smooth throttle cont rol.

Archived