Rear hub flew off of my '92

nikovee

As the title suggests, the rear hub departed the rear axle as I was riding yesterday. Luckily, I was getting off the freeway at low speed when it happened, otherwise could have been much worse. I have no idea how, but the rear axle nut must have come loose and fell off, allowing the hub to come off as well. Any insights on how this may have happened and what I can do to prevent this from happening again would be greatly appreciated!

20210913_173836.jpg

Shit, glad you're OK!  Hopefully the bound up chain didn't do any damage around the counter shaft area.

The nut likely was not torqued and/or staked properly following a service (perhaps replacing the dampers?).  The nut on my "new to me" Honda Hawk GT was loose and I could wiggle it back and forth, but the staking prevented it from coming loose.  I have read other single sided swingarm owners with similar stories about finding a loose nut.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

10 to 1 the nut was not staked as per the workshop manual. That maual can be found in the Download section here on VFRD.

Glad you are ok

• Member Contributer

Mercy!!! I'm relieved you're not hurt... jettisoning your hub at any speed is dangerous... proper torque and stake will limit this to a one time affair...

This also happened to VFR4Lee in 2016...

HubFailure2.JPG

HubFailure4.JPG

HubFailure3.JPG

thanks for the love yall! the nut was indeed staked, but maybe not properly. I haven't serviced the rear end at all in the 2 years I've owned this bike, so it's possible the PO took it to a less than reputable shop (or performed the work themselves).

And yes Captain, the tire needs to be replaced but the angle of the shot makes it look worse. Though this brings me to my next question - does that axle look stock? I have a sneaking suspicion it's not original and was taken off an older model. Reason I say this is because the pitbull rear stand I purchased came with a pin that did not fit. I confirmed with pitbull customer service that the pin I received is the correct size for my bike. Now looking at some of the other pictures in this thread, it appears that the ID of my axle is smaller..

6 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

This also happened to VFR4Lee in 2016...

I haven't looked here in a while, and what do I see?

Thank you BLS Larry, save me the trouble wondering where those pics were.

Yeah, that sucked pretty hard and this new case looks about the same.

I think I spent about $600 for mostly used parts and got it back on the road.

Someone here was conveniently parting out a bike and had a lot of my parts.

The engine case was OK, but there was a sacrificial cage thing that was toast by the front sprocket.

Ran it about 1500 miles after the fix, it seemed solid. Then sold it.

Good luck on fixing it OP. Maybe those pics weren't so hard to find after all. 🙂

Pic 2 pile O stuff.JPG

• Member Contributer

Holy Cow! That thing is chowdered. Glad to see you were not injured as that could have ended in so many different ways.

Hard to believe a properly staked axle nut would fail in this way. You obviously have your suspicions, hopefully you can bring it back to spec.

• Member Contributer

That is not the OEM '90-'93 axle (or it has something stuck into it for some reason).  Worth investigating.

Ciao,

JZH