MBD and me...

• Member Contributer

A little background, then lots of pics!

August 22 2012 I purchased my 2002 VFR800... I've been on VFRD for the duration of this time and its been a tremendous resource.

bike.thumb.jpg.5cd845934c44c1deaa75d3ff08c8e49e.jpg

BUT you folks have turned me into one of yourselves... and for a few years now I've had real interest in a 5th gen.  [GDC~!]  Same old story; everyone lists their bikes at ridiculously high prices, and add in a smaller market like Nova Scotia... they don't come up often in a condition and price range I'd want.  There was a 99 VFR800 which met the criteria about a year ago... I was 2nd to the party and didn't get it.  Emailing with the previous owner I understood he let it go cheap, for a quick sale - damn!  It was resold at an inflated price months later, no surprise.

In the meantime I moved to a house with a garage.  The hunt has been on for a winter project... I've done a lot of work on my 02 and the increased confidence (and quantity of tools) makes me want to try a full rebuild.  Budget was <$1000 to buy it.  I've been watching and open-minded... put feelers out on a ninja 250... a klr650... no go, still watching.

Then 3 days ago that 99 VFR got reposted.

When I emailed with the PO last year, he said there was work needing to be done.  I didn't get the sale so we hadn't discussed any further.  Fast forward to 3 days ago; bike is now listed for less, and has a write-up indicating that the fuel tank rusted out and the bike wont run due to debris.  Turns out the bike only ran for 2wks (110km) when the most recent purchaser got it.  He just wanted to get rid of it... we emailed and chatted... I rode over to take a look.  $900 and 3 hours later he's taking it out of his truck in my driveway.  Was it fate?  I did NOT expect a VFR to be my <$1000 project, and I couldn't be happier!

So we have a 1999 VFR800.  Not quite 47000km. Original colour was yellow.  Non-running currently.  New battery.  Ancient scary tires.  No exhaust can. Cheapy ebay REPSOL fairings with paint runs under the clear & decals... good from 10ft [they will attach better than in pics; mount points on bike are tweaked, and there are only a few bolts currently holding all the plastics on... yikes].  Bike lived outdoors for a couple years per the PO, and parts are weathered.

Shout-out to my wife for agreeing and not being angry.  I can't believe she was cool with it... she's a keeper.

20210814_121021.thumb.jpg.4810313643e46b7b18d0d6b9296dab58.jpg

20210814_121027.thumb.jpg.25b24ffc5e8dee92fd8ba7ffc65cdb71.jpg

20210814_121033.thumb.jpg.66fe6879196d2d28bcf30e9eae8704b5.jpg

20210814_121042.thumb.jpg.24f636b68a2e60cbf867a3f4c48272bd.jpg

20210814_121101.thumb.jpg.cb59b344998e93251465704b86d93aaf.jpg

20210814_123457.thumb.jpg.9bd175ad25975fd6196f8d4e9bf4431a.jpg

The plan:

I don't know!  The goal of the 'winter project' was to refurbish a bike I wanted to ride on a low budget, ride it next summer, and sell it the following spring unless its a keeper. [I still don't know if I'm allowed to KEEP multiple bikes].  The first step is to get it running... once riding season is over, I will take my 6g tank and hook it to the 5g and see where we are at unless I can de-rust or replace* the current one by then.  In the meantime, fairings are off, and I'll be digging in looking for anything else which needs repair.

*Anyone selling a 5g or 6g tank & internals cheap? 😀

Looking forward to some quality garage time over the next year!  I'll keep this thread updated with progress.

20210814_180406.thumb.jpg.cfe9f5c56f96cd2bd9bee76ef9a28fa2.jpg

• Like 4

• Member Contributer

Welcome to MBD World.... :beer:

• Member Contributer

MBD can be a terrible wonderful disease! Good luck this winter, my bet is that it will be a keeper. Too bad you folks have to keep so much snow removal equipment on hand, there would be room for several more bikes in that garage!

Every time I am about to post some really snarky comment on VFRD I stop and remember that my VFRD brothers and sisters are going to guide me every step of the way when I finally buy that 5th gen. Keep us posted on your progress.

Whooo boy you got that one! I was hawking that repsol for a while then saw it listed again with the rust issues... Hot damn!

I wonder if you can get the tank rust taken care of with white vinegar?

• Member Contributer

Its a great question and I will try the various rust removal techniques... this appears to be the original tank, it has yellow paint underneath the orange.  Would be great to save it; visually its ok with no real dents or outside rust

• Member Contributer

I've related this previously - but will again for laughs and giggles.  I once dated a woman for a while who, when she first came to my home saw my motorcycles in the garage.  As she looked at them she stood pensively and placed her index finger on her lips, then used it to point at the bikes and said "those will have to go".  Almost instantly, the thought raced through my mind that said "no, . . . YOU will have to go!!"  And in short order she did.  Took her home, dropped her off and never saw her again.   She would have had an easier time coming between a steak and a hungry shark than between my bikes and me LOL! 

Now, back to our regularly scheduled build thread. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Terry said:

May be an image of text that says 'Marry a girl who says things like: -I'm proud of you, can't believe you're mine, -You're right. was wrong, -You can do it, baby, I don't know where this motorcycle came from looks great next to all your other motorcycles. new but it'

I did :tongue:

IMG-20210801-WA0007.thumb.jpg.66ecd4964ae53d7ee997ed1b78a46bd2.jpg

23 years ago and counting..

• Like 2

Though my wife doesn't really like motorcycles, she is very tolerant of me and mine.  Mostly she just gets bored with me talking about it all the time.  :laugh:  But seriously, I'm very fortunate!