Tc could have killed me today.

Rsparky

Stopped behind a car pulled over on the left side of the highway. Median immediately to their left, so I had no way to accelerate without being on the road. My mistake, and I won't make it again. 

So, when I got ready to go, I picked a good gap, and gunned it. Lifted the front, more than I expected. So, I'm thankful for it keeping it down. But, it just. Bogged. Very glad that I had enough gap for the bike to allow me to go again. Scary feeling, not having control of the gas.

I wish they had an effective tc, you know, modulate power, allow metered wheelspin, but keep you accelerating. 

• Member Contributer

Why?

You wrote you gunned it so why blame the system for ham-fisted operator?? :tongue:

What you want is called launch control etc etc.  May I suggest you look at getting a Aprilia APRC (or what it is called)?

Glad you are ok though :beer:

With all respect, your headline could equally read "two poor decisions could have killed me today".  Understandable and easy enough to make those mistakes, but blaming the TC for the possible outcome of your mistakes is putting the cart before the horse IMO.

Yup. Like I said, I may have lifted the front much more without it, so I am thankful for it. It is just a very crappy system. 

Yes, operator error. That's why it exists. Man you guys are rough. I'll never complain about the bike again. 

6 minutes ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

Title should read, "Thank you TC! I almost looped my bike today"

Wish my 1200 had TC the other day... wonder how much it would have helped when the wife decided to drop the clutch while bouncing off the rev limiter....

• Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, Rsparky said:

. It is just a very crappy system. 

Yes, operator error. 

Why blame the system for the operator?

36 minutes ago, Rsparky said:

Yup. Like I said, I may have lifted the front much more without it, so I am thankful for it. It is just a very crappy system. 

Yes, operator error. That's why it exists. Man you guys are rough. I'll never complain about the bike again. 

Haha yeah you got it pretty rough lol sorry.

• Member Contributer

well it kinda reminds me of the older generation BMW bike I had with ABS. The system worked, but it was pretty rough. They are more refined now and perform better I think. Maybe it will be the same with TC??  I live on hope... 

C

• Member Contributer

Just another reason I got a standard 8th gen.  Go ahead and beat me up.  There MAY have been operator error but there was sloppy and dangerous TC engagement as well.  I want to control my bike.  It was that or just decide to be old and get a Goldwing that does everything but make a PB&J sandwich for me.  Ride motorcycles, not computers.     

I don't think you can loft the front wheel with the TC on. It will engage if you drop a clutch or go full throttle from a light. It does engage a little early for my taste but I never have a problem out accelerating cars with the TC on. Takes 1 second to turn it off too.

I guess these are the reasons Honda put it on a bike. You have people using throttle like an on or off switch and crashing.

Unless your in the powerband or drop a gear or two, these bikes don't really have the torque to not bog down.

I love the VFR, but hate that I'm riding what is essentially another 750, like I rode for so many years and I swore

nothing less than a liter on the next bike, oops.  I've learned to plan ahead better to try not put myself in a situation

where I need liter bike power because I'm trying pass too many cars etc.

• Member Contributer

Think you are talking total rubbish.  If you plan your overtake properly you would be able to excecute it properly on any bike even a 125. 

Used to to run a Nissan micra and an old vw t4.  Both had about 75 bhp never had a problem with overtakes because they were properly planned. 

A lot lot of the problem is folk get lazy. 

• Member Contributer

OK Sparky we are a bit rough on you.

I do hope we've not put you off on VFRD, we are not that bad after all.

Oh no, the bike is great, everywhere is great! :rolleyes: I expected more trolling at that other site is all, and left my thick skin at home yesterday. 

In all reality, if you've been on a Beemer, or a zx10, you know our tc is absolute garbage. 

Makes me wonder if I could hook up a relay to the little warning light, so it illuminates when tc is on, rather than off. 

Just get an older bike without it, no worries about wheelies out of the grass, and not even a hint of electronic aids hehe. Do wish i had abs, but ah well. Can't have the giant naca ducts and abs at the same time :P

I like launch control, quick shift and engine brake control. I couldn't care less about ABS and traction control. Oh well, to each their own :)

• Member Contributer

Just switch the damn thing off if you don't like it. Like Fink says though, that was not really your problem.

• Member Contributer

As I said, you are blaming the TC for your poor judgement and actions. You knew it was on, so all you had to do was switch it off, but no, it's all Honda's fault.

TC was not what nearly got you killed, it was a series of bad judgements.

Archived