Ss Brake Line Kit Worth It?

jimbob

• Member Contributer

I see Galfer sells a complete ss brake line kit including clutch line for $300..

Any experience with bang for the buck on this??.

08 VFR 800

• Member Contributer

There was a group buy a while back (a year or two) which I participated in. I cannot remember the exact price; I believe it was in the neighborhood of $220. I do like the fifth gen OEM linked brakes; I've made some emergency braking that was surprising in their "short distances".

The change to Galfer ss lines makes for great visual improvement; as to any increased effectiveness, that would take scientific analysis that is beyond me. But they do feel great in use. I had my local Honda MC dealer do the work; it was NOT cheap. Again, bad memory, but the memory of the amount hurts to think about it. Maybe $500 - $800?

Update: checked with my dealer; the bill was $480. Holy crap indeed.

• Member Contributer

It's a good improvement, whether it's good bang for the buck is another question. I love my Galfer lines, but I got them at a really good price: $207, but that was about 7 years ago.

As your bike ages the rubber brake lines get a little spongy and will expand a bit during use. You don't really notice because it happens so gradually, so a change to the SS lines is very noticeable because it give you back the firm solid feel that you want. And they look great too. I think they're worth the money, but it's not a "OMIGAWD" reaction because the stock brakes are so good. JMO anyway.

Installing isn't too awful bad if you take your time and make sure you understand what to do before you start. Bleeding is a bit of a pain, but mine went really smoothly and used less than a quart of fluid to get all the brakes and the clutch bled.

• Member Contributer

It's a good improvement, whether it's good bang for the buck is another question. I love my Galfer lines, but I got them at a really good price: $207, but that was about 7 years ago.

As your bike ages the rubber brake lines get a little spongy and will expand a bit during use. You don't really notice because it happens so gradually, so a change to the SS lines is very noticeable because it give you back the firm solid feel that you want. And they look great too. I think they're worth the money, but it's not a "OMIGAWD" reaction because the stock brakes are so good. JMO anyway.

Installing isn't too awful bad if you take your time and make sure you understand what to do before you start. Bleeding is a bit of a pain, but mine went really smoothly and used less than a quart of fluid to get all the brakes and the clutch bled.

+1 to everything. Love them on my 5th Gen even with the linked brakes... which btw, totally helped me out when I hurt my right thumb on a trip and allowed me to still ride and get home. I believe they are a noticeable improvement over oem rubber hoses, especially if they are old.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I have SS lines on all my current bikes and even had them on my old Honda ATC250R. Never really kept the stock lines very long, maybe it's just a placebo but braking just feels more solid to me. I have the HEL lines on both VFRs and the kit is a quality product IMO. Other than the bleeding process, the one line that connects to the hard line under the rear sub-frame was the only time consuming and somewhat difficult part. I suppose removing the rear sub-frame might have made it easier, but might have been just as time consuming to remove and replace all the components, but getting to the mounting bolt and flare nut might have been less frustrating.

• Member Contributer

I bought into the group buy on here too, fitted them myself which was daunting but actually proved to be pretty simple if kept to small, logical steps.

Even though the standard brakes were still very good, with the SS lines there was a noticeable improvement in them and I would recommend anyone intending keeping their bike for many years/miles to do this mod.

• Member Contributer

Braided lines have always been a good improvement over the old rubber expando line that come as standard.

Brake feel and modulation is greatly improved as the lines do not expand loosing feel.

Pretty much the first mod I ever do.

Can be expensive but I feel it is well worth it.

• Member Contributer

I have SS lines on all my current bikes and even had them on my old Honda ATC250R. Never really kept the stock lines very long, maybe it's just a placebo but braking just feels more solid to me. I have the HEL lines on both VFRs and the kit is a quality product IMO. Other than the bleeding process, the one line that connects to the hard line under the rear sub-frame was the only time consuming and somewhat difficult part. I suppose removing the rear sub-frame might have made it easier, but might have been just as time consuming to remove and replace all the components, but getting to the mounting bolt and flare nut might have been less frustrating.

Amen.

• Member Contributer

+1 HEL lines, best fit and finish IMO

Archived