Prb's 5Th Gen Restore And Rebuild Project!

PirateRiderBen

Because who doesn't need another project right?

So here she is! A 1999 VFR 800, 28xxx miles. Been down twice, once at 50, and once at 80 on the highway. Fella lived to tell about it too. Story goes he adapted a baby and his Finace wanted bike gone for obvious reason. Anyways, I ride it around a parking lot, it started and drives straight, looks straight. Seems to be fine. It needs everything done though. Fluids, filters, oil, lights, all the plastics, and so on. The tail light, the gauges, and the gas tank are about the only things that are salvageable.

Oh the title is clean too. Never went to the insurance company when he wrecked.

Oh yeah, Sargent seat and Erion slip on came on it too. Exhaust sounds nice!

All this fun for only 1000$!

And yes, she will be a Tmac, but... May not be much to look at.

Hey if you check the wanted add in classifieds you'll see my list of must have parts to get this baby road ready.

Hope you guys follow along!

Here's the photos and a short video (if it works!)

post-27973-0-35984200-1455833569.jpeg

post-27973-0-84051100-1455833602.jpeg

post-27973-0-94830600-1455833617.jpeg

post-27973-0-15470300-1455833637.jpeg

post-27973-0-05571900-1455833658.jpeg

post-27973-0-85924500-1455833672.jpeg

post-27973-0-49969400-1455833690.jpeg

trim.663D648D-5971-490D-90C7-995B3E7A0BEA.MOV

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She looks like it has been a hard life. Can't wait to see what you do with her. There is a 4th gen near me in about that condition for the same money. If I had any kind of time, I'd love to build something.

• Member Contributer

Looks like a perfect candidate for a SebSpeed clutch window!

Perhaps a polished pressure plate glistening away beneath the window. LOL. Definitely needs the Sebspeed Clutch cover treatment. Looks like a fun project and like Sweeper said, "If only we had the time." I too would love to do a project at some point.

I believe i still have a 5th gen left side fairing in the attic. I will take a look later today.

Thanks my friend!

So far it's looking good,

I've collected or am working on collecting:

Brake discs

Bar ends

Levers

Foot pedal and shifter

I really need to track down a headlight and some turn signals.

-PRB

• Member Contributer

Good luck on the headlight, been looking for a used one for months to do a projector beam mod. I'm not going to shell out almost $400 for new so I can hack it to pieces.

Trying to find a 2nd hand 5th gen headlight is like looking for rocking horse shit. Been looking over here for one the last three months. Loads of VTec ones but no 5th gen. Why?

• Member Contributer

My guess is that with the 6th gen, you will usually get one headlight to survive a crash. Since the 5th wraps around both sides, there is better chance of destruction in a low side. I actually don't care if the plastic is broken, just as long as the back is intact. Without actually looking, I would guess the headlight on PRB's bike would work actually work well for my purposes since my clear part is fine. I just want to be able to switch back if I hate the projector beams

My guess is that with the 6th gen, you will usually get one headlight to survive a crash. Since the 5th wraps around both sides, there is better chance of destruction in a low side. I actually don't care if the plastic is broken, just as long as the back is intact. Without actually looking, I would guess the headlight on PRB's bike would work actually work well for my purposes since my clear part is fine. I just want to be able to switch back if I hate the projector beams

The inside frame of my headlight is broken too. It took the impact from one of the crashes id say.

Pulled the fairings, mirrors and windscreen off today. As you can see the left side radiator has a little, uhhhh, wear and tear. But she doesn't overheat and it doesn't leak. Fairing mounting brackets are bent and broken, but that was expected. The left side fairing was attached entirely with zip ties.

Tomorrow I'll be pulling the nose cowl, the headers and exhaust. Sandblasting the headers and powder coating them high temp black, and I'll probably strip the Erion pipe down and re powder it as well. Not exactly sure yet. I've got a buddy who has a buddy with a CNC machine so I'm thinking about removing the Erion racing label and getting a plate cut out with the VFR logo in the font similar to the sticker on the fairing, then attaching it back to the muffler. I'm also gonna pull the wheels off and polish them back up and clean the black section up as well.

If I have time I may start draining and flushing fluids and do the oil as well.

post-27973-0-16294700-1456019489.jpeg

post-27973-0-16933300-1456019502.jpeg

post-27973-0-70688900-1456019517.jpeg

post-27973-0-84791200-1456019532.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I've seen bikes in better condition broken for parts. It's great you're saving this one. Looks like it found a good home!

I've got a front guard, brake discs and levers. Also got rads and a vtr fan if you want em.

Post will be from Aus, but since our dollar is low, it'll still be cheap.

I've got one of those too. I'll have a look at my front fender and the front subframe when i get home tonight.

I bought an undamaged VFR to streetfighter, so they are both in pretty good nick for parts that came off a bike with 150000ks.

Archived