Prb's 5Th Gen Restore And Rebuild Project!

PirateRiderBen

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Anyone have an uncracked nose cowl for cheap? Any color it can be faded or scratched. I'm not ready to get a new one yet, but need one to make the nose come together for Tmac.

I just took one off, I will take a close look at it this week & if she's good I have one....

20151122 124453

Did someone say polished wheels?

Excuse the photo quality but I don't think digital cameras were invented when I had my wheels polished.

13845263745_23de60129b_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Here is the right side fairing that was on my last 5th gen when I bought it. The fairing had a sizable epoxy repair on it that looked pretty bad even though it was not a hole. I put some red reflective tape on the blemish and rode it like that for a year before I scored like-new replacements. It is good shape otherwise with no cracks or breaks.

post-1814-0-16852000-1458152741.jpg

Close-up of the tape job:

post-1814-0-22962400-1458152740.jpg

An update:

I ended up having to basically rebuild the whole nose of the bike. The front subframe, cowl, and lights were all toast. I figured this might happen going in, but you know, I hate it when I am right haha :goofy:

Anyways, several forum members have supplied me with great deals on all the needed parts. I can now report that the bike has a straight front end! I ordered Cree LED headlight kit on Maxswell's recommendation. Waiting now for a nose cowl to come in from a member in Washington.

I changed the oil, swapping over to Mobil 1 4t synthetic with a Wix filter. The oil that came out didn't smell odd, or have any noticeable grit or grain to it. I may do the oil again in 500-1000 miles before getting on my 3k schedule I use for all bikes.

The coolant system was drained and I need to clean the tank out, re attach it and fill it. I went with some extra fancy orange racing coolant. I'll have to look at the name as I can't recall off the top of my head. 3$ more than engine ice but is supposedly good for two years.

I have a right side fairing from Kebrider, just looking for a left side and the center fairing that goes in front of the headers and I'll have functional but perhaps not show stoppingly attractive bodywork for Tmac.

I was planning a straight swap to a 929 rear shock, but after reading and talking with Jamie Daugherty I think his conversion of that shock will be the route I go. I may also speak with him and Rick of Cogent dynamics about fork work.

The headers will be sandblasted and powdercoated this week and mounted. Which leaves putting the body back together and hunting for missing screws and things of the like.

I know right now I need the 4 side fairing stand off brackets, and a set of undamaged mirrors. I prefer the 00-01 style, but for the right money, nice condom mirrors will suffice. I also need an undamaged right side passenger rear set, as well as both stock driver footpegs. (just the pegs).

-PRB

Didn't know if you saw these or not. Thought they may suffice.http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mcy/5478533998.html

They may, I'm looking into them. Was hoping for a less rashed left side but..beggars can't be choosers right?

How's the clutch cover holding up? ;)

It's on the list, probably won't get it to you for a few more months though.

Found out my project bike has a bum radiator fan. Got bent in a crash by previous owner, locked fan up, burned out motor.

Could use a left hand radiator too if you have one.

I'll weigh them tonight to see what postage will cost and get back to you about $$.

The Rad is light but the fan is heavy.

Checked them in the garage.

Rad is in OK condition for a 16 year old rad. Some bent fins, etc, but fully functional when I took it off

I forgot I cut the wire to the fan motor when I changed to the front mount. Do you still want them both, just the rad, or neither?

I'll pass this time my friend, I think I've got a fan assembly state side for not too much different than it would probably cost to get them over here from you.

Thanks again though!

-PRB

• 1 month later...

Well folks, as projects go, this one has been interrupted by life. (Mainly me finishing college and moving) And I have been throwing my few spare minutes at my K1200S to get it tweaked for Tmac. Right now it doesn't look like the VFR will make its debut until the Fall Ride. She currently sits in the back of my buddies shop awaiting the headers, radiator, and other odds and ends to get bolted back on. Plus a bunch of powder coating work, brakes, lights, etc...

As a side note, does anyone know where I can get the little black plastic clips that hold many of the dash and fairings together? Bike Bandit was after like 4$ each for them! I tried Lowe's and they had a few, but ended up being too small or too big. 

• 2 weeks later...
Well folks, as projects go, this one has been interrupted by life. (Mainly me finishing college and moving) And I have been throwing my few spare minutes at my K1200S to get it tweaked for Tmac. Right now it doesn't look like the VFR will make its debut until the Fall Ride. She currently sits in the back of my buddies shop awaiting the headers, radiator, and other odds and ends to get bolted back on. Plus a bunch of powder coating work, brakes, lights, etc...

As a side note, does anyone know where I can get the little black plastic clips that hold many of the dash and fairings together? Bike Bandit was after like 4$ each for them! I tried Lowe's and they had a few, but ended up being too small or too big. 

I have a set of "condom" mirrors that I do not need, 20$ and they're yours

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Archived