Wheels Back From Powder Coating

F6bguy

You or your guy knew to plug the relevant holes and use a proper tap to clear threads of course since any baked-on powder in there can be bad ? The wheel mounting nuts need a clear metal surface (not powder) to seat properly and retain initial torque, i believe.

• Member Contributer

I love the white, but it sure is a bugger to keep clean. But it sure looks good when it is.

Oh yea its terrible. Spray on wheel cleaner. let soak for 5 minutes. take wheel brush and clean. No worse than any other wheel on all my other bikes and cars. The only time that they really look terrible is after it rains.

• Member Contributer

I had mine done a few years ago when I acquired an 8 spoke for my 06. I went out and bought cheap bolts to put in the holes before they were done so no need to clean anything out. But I noticed, On surfaces that should meet with your hubs have now got power coat on them. That will need to be removed before the install. The place that did mine put the wheel on a brake disc turning machine and planed the power coat off.

Give your wheels a good coat of a quality car wax containing carnuba before you mount the tires back on. That does help to make cleaning them easier a bit. Brake dust is a bitch, and getting at it in the folds of the spokes is even more so. Also, if you are using lead weights, get some model paint and paint those white as well. Nothing worse than nice white wheels and fugley gray lead weights. Last tire change, I went back to the dyna beads.

I figure having white wheels will make me clean them more often.....black wheels just hide the dirt better.besides,I never ride the vfr in rain..have a Goldwing f6b for that

White wheels look awesome, utter nightmare to keep clean though for sure. I find a few hours on the bike makes them show a considerable amount of brake dust and random dirt. Have to admit it's a pain in the arse to wipe them down after every ride. Wouldn't have them any other colour though!

• Member Contributer

The "mating" surface needs to be clear of powedercoat

Despite taping, I still had a few spots to remove

tape_zps12e9c755.jpg

To this day am still pondering if I should have gone for white though....

herfst2_zps8c5c12e1.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've seen worse pics... Not only did the "professional" powder coaters coat the disc mounting surface and the bolt threads, but they also coated the bearing cups!

Ciao,

Archived