From Silver To Black

ca315

With nickel plated rims and a stainless exhaust there was too much competing silver. So I decided to paint the pillion and foot pegs black.

Then continued and painted the triple clamp and handlebars the same colour. It is actually VHT black pearl, slightly metallic and more of a very dark grey, pretty much a match for the clutch cover.

Also put a set of Jollify carbon fibre covers on the foot peg guards will take the rubbing of the boot heal, and a carbon fibre cover on the triple clamp.

post-28916-0-19427100-1455329730.jpg

post-28916-0-38566300-1455329157.jpgpost-28916-0-01712000-1455329138.jpgpost-28916-0-70948000-1455329603.jpg

• Member Contributer

Very nice touches!

Now ya gotta get rid of the red!

J/K. I like silver. I see you've changed the signals, too. Orange bulbs or did you stay (illegally) white?

• Member Contributer

That looks very, very nice indeed. Love the colour.

Did you send the parts away or do it yourself?

This is very nice! The more black the better. I hate the silver on my bike. Silver and gray are part of a blue palette really and don't belong on a red bike. I'm not one to go through the effort but I wish my frame and such was all black instead.

Painted them myself. Combination of sand blasted and hand sanding, assisted by multi-tool back to bare aluminium. 240 grit sand paper on a multi-tool is perfect for aluminium.

Painted using VHT engine enamel. Undercoat, black then black pearl. The forks I also coated in clear. Clear coat gives a gloss finish, black pearl gives a satin finish. Gloss was to give a little more protection from stone chips.

Technique is continuous coating, 30minutes between coats and colors. When finished bake in oven at 70 degrees C. Then leave for 5 days to cure.

Most of it is straight forward, forks are no big deal to disassemble. Biggest hassle is that to remove the foot pegs you have to remove the swing arm pivot bolt. Took the opportunity to relace the seals and grease.

• 2 weeks later...

The rims were polished and then nickel plated. They were done by the first owner, about 15 years old now.

post-28916-0-08350700-1457252251.jpg

post-28916-0-79130900-1457252519.jpg

Archived