Oil Interval And Filter Question

faran

Have few quick questions regarding about engine oil replacement interval and oil filter. Please, it's not a discussion about a specific brand or type of oil

I couldn't ride the bike much this year, so engine Oil(Non-Synthetic) has only ~500 miles, along with Purolator Plus(gold, PL14610 longer one) filter, but it's a year since it was replaced.

Should I

1-Replace the oil, along with the filter OR

2-Just drain oil and not touch filter OR

3-Leave as is and replace after some miles

Also, I have some regular Purolator Classic L14610 and L14459 laying around the house. Could I use them, instead of PL ones?

Looking forward to any input and help.

• Member Contributer

I would leave that well alone and buy a bottle of bourbon with the money.

but most of all, promise yourself to ride MORE miles this year.

I replace both oil and filter each fall, regardless of mileage, just before storage for the winter. I take the bike for a last of the season ride and while it is still at operating temperature I change it and the filter. Then usually the bike goes away for the winter. This past fall it was on November 4th.

..blackdot/Tom

Have few quick questions regarding about engine oil replacement interval and oil filter. Please, it's not a discussion about a specific brand or type of oil

I couldn't ride the bike much this year, so engine Oil(Non-Synthetic) has only ~500 miles, along with Purolator Plus(gold, PL14610 longer one) filter, but it's a year since it was replaced.

Should I

1-Replace the oil, along with the filter OR

2-Just drain oil and not touch filter OR

3-Leave as is and replace after some miles

Also, I have some regular Purolator Classic L14610 and L14459 laying around the house. Could I use them, instead of PL ones?

Looking forward to any input and help.

Wife Inc. did almost same thing with Superhawk, changed oil & filter, rode it about 700 miles and parked it from October to March 2015.

We just left it alone and let her log 3500 miles this past year, then changed it out before she parked it last month. No issues at all.

Gotcha. I am going to replace both. How about using L14610 or L14459 as an oil filter. Has anyone has any input about it? Or should I stick to PL?

Unfamiliar with the Purolator filters I use WIX, but just check their specs to see what is different between them.

If it had been sitting for years it might be necessary to dump the oil. I wouldn't waste my money changing the oil after sitting for that length of time. Most oils are good for 15,000 kilometres of use and sitting doesn't have any effect on it.

Save your money. Ride it. Change it when you really need to.

If your last ride before storage was enough to get the oil to operating temps, then I agree- run it and the filter to the mileage interval.

Just be sure to check airbox for any critters before firing it up in the spring.

• Member Contributer

My vote is #3 also. I changed my oil on my 104,000 mile 2001 every 8,000 miles as called for in the owners manual. Just before she was KIA at 105,000 I had changed the oil and sent the sample to Blackstone. (That sample, an exception to my routine, was at ~ 4000 mi due to plans to put thousands of miles on a road trip.) They judged the condition of my oil and metal from the engine as better that average for the mileage. Their last comment: "Nice bike."

The oil test results are in my gallery.

Todays oil, whatever you use is, higher spec that is called for in Honda's original specifications.

Why waste it?!

My vote is #3 also. I changed my oil on my 104,000 mile 2001 every 8,000 miles as called for in the owners manual. Just before she was KIA at 105,000 I had changed the oil and sent the sample to Blackstone. (That sample, an exception to my routine, was at ~ 4000 mi due to plans to put thousands of miles on a road trip.) They judged the condition of my oil and metal from the engine as better that average for the mileage. There last comment: "Nice bike."

Todays oil, whatever you use is, higher spec that is called for in Honda's original specifications.

Why waste it?!

Thanks so much. Same would be true for the filter? Now, I am leaning towards just keeping the oil and filter as is and replace, maybe at 2000 miles mark.

• Member Contributer

So tell us which brand bourbon or scotch you bought with the money saved!!! :-)

• Member Contributer

So tell us which brand bourbon or scotch you bought with the money saved!!! :-)

My preference in adult beverages is ale; specifically IPA. Summit Brewery in St. Paul makes an Extra Pale Ale. That's my favorite.

I abandoned the strong stuff long ago. With an occasional margarita as an exception.

My vote is #3 also. I changed my oil on my 104,000 mile 2001 every 8,000 miles as called for in the owners manual. Just before she was KIA at 105,000 I had changed the oil and sent the sample to Blackstone. (That sample, an exception to my routine, was at ~ 4000 mi due to plans to put thousands of miles on a road trip.) They judged the condition of my oil and metal from the engine as better that average for the mileage. There last comment: "Nice bike."

Why waste it?!

Thanks so much. Same would be true for the filter? Now, I am leaning towards just keeping the oil and filter as is and replace, maybe at 2000 miles mark.

I change the filter with every oil change.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone used Purolator L14459 filter for a 6th Gen VFR? As I mentioned in my first post, I have some of them laying around and could use them.

Based on this website: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

They have the same description as L14610: L14610, These Oil Filters
have 20 x 1.5mm threads,
14 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve,
2.3" O.D. gasket

VS

L14459 have 20 x 1.5mm threads,
10-18 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve.

Does anyone has any input to see if I could use them?

Just need advice and input, not trying to start a thread/discussion about Oil/Filter.

Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have used the Purolator PL14612 oil filters on my 05 VFR800A for a 3-4 years.

Yesterday, at WalMart, I noticed they were clearancing their Purolator L14612 (white filter),

so I purchased 3 of them for $1.50/piece. I don't know if they'll fit or if I'll ever use them, but

I have them if I ever wanted to try them. This white filter doesn't have the "grip surface" on

the outer surface that the gold, PL14612, has on it's exterior. I suspect it's not made as well

as the PL14612 either.

My assumption is that the PL14612 and L14612 are essential the same filter, but are just

made of better or lesser components. I am making that assumption from the closeness of the

model numbers.

Kevin

I have used the Purolator PL14612 oil filters on my 05 VFR800A for a 3-4 years.

Yesterday, at WalMart, I noticed they were clearancing their Purolator L14612 (white filter),

so I purchased 3 of them for $1.50/piece. I don't know if they'll fit or if I'll ever use them, but

I have them if I ever wanted to try them. This white filter doesn't have the "grip surface" on

the outer surface that the gold, PL14612, has on it's exterior. I suspect it's not made as well

as the PL14612 either.

My assumption is that the PL14612 and L14612 are essential the same filter, but are just

made of better or lesser components. I am making that assumption from the closeness of the

model numbers.

Kevin

Meijer has been brooming Castrol products along with selected Purolator filters. I got the PSL14610 synthetic filters for $2.50.

Castrol Edge 5 quart jugs were $13.34.

Archived