Tank Bag Or Back Pack For Day Trips/commuting

ChiefGodzilla

• Member Contributer

I use both a tail and tank bag. I have the GIVI T480 (since discontinued) and a Cycleguys Tail bag. Both have enough room for a nice day trip. Usually I only use the tail bag with my 5 Gen for sport rides as I don't really like a tank bag when I'm in the twisty stuff. For touring it's fine though.

Here's a view and link to the Cycleguys tail bag. http://www.thecycleguys.com/home-page/

ducati-1098-fastpack.jpg

And here's to the GIVI kit too. This bag is the closet to what I have just a newer version.

http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/soft-luggage/tanklock-system

givi_xs306_tankbag_detail.jpg

• Member Contributer

My preferences are top box first. Lockable and waterproof it's great for commuting and doesn't get in the way of filtering.

Next is a tail pack for similar reasons. But not lockable and unlikely to be fully waterproof. Depending where your bike sits all day it may not be able to be left on the bike.

A tank bag would be next, still no weight on the back and unless your commute is a twisty mountain road (apart from making everyone jealous) it won't get in the way (tank bags do ever so slightly get in the way)

Last option back pack. Advantage of backpack is that if you are on and off the bike a lot, like shopping, it is easier to stop and jump off. The others need unstrapping if you're going to take them with you.

Again a top box is awesome for this. Plus you can lock your helmet in there and don't have to carry it around.

I had a top box on the VFR and a Bagster tank cover and bag. The Daytona has a tail pack and Bagster cover. The Bagster bag fits both cover even though they were bought ten years apart.

The Top box was easily the best for commute and groceries etc. and is much missed now the VFR is gone.

• Member Contributer

There are tankbags out there that double up as backpack once to move on foot..

A proper backpack actually puts the weight on your hips rather than your back. Correctly designed backpack harnesses employ load lifters that transfer the weight correctly.

I use a Boblbee Meg Aero. With correct setup you don't feel it at all.

I have all Oxford lifetime stuff. The X30 (30 liters) tank bag or tail pack and the X4 (4 liters) same thing. I also have the Givi 55 liter trunk that is probably the best $500 total I have spent for commuting etc..

• Member Contributer

I prefer to use a tank bag for short hops or a day or so trips, with a backpack if necessary.

This is the 91 I had in England last year. I bought an Oxford Lifetime tank bag for it, and like HRCCBR like their gear very much. Its bulletproof.

post-19876-0-05595200-1452489990.jpg

For my 97 here in Maine I bought a set of Nelson Rigg saddlebags with a tail bag, and a Fieldsheer "Eifel" tank bag. The Fieldsheer has a magnetic base that stays on the bike and you can just zip off the bag as needed. Honestly, both the tail and tank bags hold about the same amount of gear.

post-19876-0-10014200-1452490726.jpg

• Member Contributer

You also need to remember that back packs whilst convenient, have a habit of causing tumbling in a crash. Tumbling leads to flailing limbs which can lead to more injuries. Use the carrier of your choice fitted to your bike back packs should be a last resort.

When I had my CBR1000RR at first I didn't want to fit a rack so bought Kriega back pack which are made for use on bikes, I hated it on my back when riding. I would use a tank bag or tail bag before a back pack, I use the Bagster tank cover with there tank bag that just clips onto tank cover, I like the comfort/protection the tank cover offers & I don't have to worry about marking tank. Friends who use the magnetic tank bags always use a light cloth between tank bag & tank which for me is just another hassle.

The other problem with back pack is if you have leather jacket with built in hump or will ever upgrade to one, it gets in the way of back pack.

• Member Contributer

Another vote for the tank bag here. It has some advantages the other options don't.

Easy access (without dismounting bike):

• Wallet.
  • Sunglasses.
  • Camera.
  • Water bottle/snacks.

I use the map pocket all the time for maps or written directions.

Great place to clip my Ipod.

I keep my Easy Pass transponder in my tank bag too.

Magnetic mount is quick detach. I just grab and go, especially when I'm commuting to work.

GIVI TankLock Tank bag. Since I bought the tank bag, it's only come off my bike a couple of times. Doesn't touch the tank, so no scratches and gives me some place to hold my coffee on my commute to work.

I AM however a little disappointed as it's faded quite a bit. It doesn't look nice and new anymore, but it still works GREAT.

148a02f3-7044-477f-9c2f-8f239f4c53b6_zps

• Member Contributer

I >>>LOVE<<< my Tank-Lock tank bag, tons of storage, expandable and NO contact with the paint. Simple one lever removal and snaps on with not much more pressure than its own weight. I had a Givi but my current one is a Kappa.

Red Rocks 1

Just for grins, I cut the top off of my old Givi and my dog digs the ride around the neighborhood.

Shelby

Archived