Fuel For Thought!

Grum

• Member Contributer

Hi All.

After some good discussion on what oils we should be using, I thought I would throw this possible bag of worms into the forum for a bit of thought.

In Australia, our fuels are the standard 91RON, then the premium more expensive 95RON and 98RON (RON = Research Octane Number). I won't go into the E10 (10% Ethanol) fuels other than to say I avoid E10.

Our owners booklet for the VFR state the engine is designed for operation on a minimum 91RON.

I have seen so many VFR owners that insist on filling up with the more expensive premium fuels, and when asked WHY? "Its a cleaner fuel", "I get better fuel economy", " I'm supposed to run it on premium aren't I?", "Its better for the engine" etc etc.

For years now I have been running the VFR happily on 91RON and have also achieved my best fuel economy runs on the 91RON. I have never noticed better economy using the higher octane fuels, nor should I.

The main thing is that the VFR does not have anti knock sensors, so it cannot tune itself (advance ignition timing) to take advantage of the higher octane premium fuels. Also, there is no greater calorific (or energy) value in the higher octane fuels, so the only thing that will go faster in using these more expensive fuels is the money flying out of your wallet!!

Another thing to consider, is the shear volume of 91RON that is used, this could mean you are always getting fresh fuel. Who knows how long it takes for a fuel station to re-fill their 95 or 98RON bowsers?

I am interested in hearing what other Australian riders think as I'm not too sure on the European or American fuel standards, but the same principle applies everywhere I guess. Hopefully this info may help to save some of us some hard earned cash.

Cheers.

Grum.

• Member Contributer

I think our fuels are to the same standard.

I occasionally fill up my 800 with 97/98 as it has more/better detergent and so may give the fuel system a bit of a clean-out. But I have no evidence for that. Otherwise it's pointless I think.

Good luck this afternoon btw. :beer:

joe-lr_h4hqlqo.jpg

I prefer the 98 Octane, or 100 V-Power if available.

It runs better. The way to tell the difference is on a tour. Do the 3 hours in the morning on 95 Octane, run the tank low, then fill up with 98 - you can tell the difference to the way it runs. The same rule applies in reverse.

Go from 95 Octane to 100 Octane Shell V-Power and the way the motor runs smoother is even more obvious. If it didn't make any difference I would not bother, I don't have shares in it. But to me the motor runs smoother on the higher octane stuff; maybe not any faster, or better fuel economy, but smoother certainly.

• Member Contributer

Most of the premium fuel is 91 octane in the USA! To bad we don't have a choice .

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Different measurement system. AKI vs RON

88 in the USA (AKI) is 92 RON

91 AKI is 95 RON

93 AKI is 98 RON

Etc

Standard unleaded in the UK is 95 RON, I don't know anywhere you can get lower than that, and the Advanced fuels are 97 and 98 RON upwards. The mechanic at my Honda dealers advised me years ago not to bother with anything more than standard unleaded so that's what it gets.

Edit - he did say that's standard unleaded from oil company stations and not to use supermarket fuel, though I know lots of bikers who do so quite happily.

• Member Contributer

I can't speak to Australian or English standards, but I try to follow the owner's manual recommendations and use "86 (or higher) pump octane" in Canada and the U.S. I think Dustin's RON conversion numbers are correct. All of the regular fuel in B.C. that I have found is 87--so that's what I use. The Shell V-Power (mid-grade) in B.C. is 91 and contains no ethanol--I sometimes run a tank of that if the bike has been sitting for a while or if I'm storing it for the winter. When travelling in the U.S. I keep an eye open since in some states regular is 85 octane (usually found where there are four grades to choose from instead of three). In that case, I buy the next grade up. The bottom line is that I, like the OP, have not noticed any difference in performance, mileage, running temperature, etc. I'm pretty sure I could use the 85 in the states and the bike wouldn't explode. Conversely, the 91 doesn't cause time to warp when I crack the throttle. I have met those who swear that there are different detergents in higher grades that are better for the engine ... but they tend to be short on evidence for that claim. As long as your bike is running well with your set-up (stock/PC, etc. and elevation) there is no reason to use higher octane fuel. Avoiding ethanol may be an exception, but it's not for performance reasons.

• Member Contributer

I only run the US 91 octane to get the non-ethanol blend. If they made non-ethanol in standard 87 trim I'd use that. Mine runs the same no matter what goes in it.

• Member Contributer

Agree all the way with you Grum. I have on occasion had to use higher graded fuel and have not noticed any differences. I avoid ehthanol added fuels for bikes and cars where they display the contents, there are some conspiracy theories I have read which say that Oz fuel can contain ethanol without it being marked!

Some of the newer brands of fuel have ethanol in their 95 RON which kind of defeats the purpose?

Perhaps there is a bit of 'snob' value in using higher rated fuels? Almost the same discussion as oil change intervals :goofy:

Cheers

Mike

There should be no performance advantage in using over 91 but 95 and 98 keep your fuel system cleaner.

A friend with a 6th gen suffered leaking injectors using 91 exclusively and now uses 95 or 98 with no more problems in that regard.

• Member Contributer

There should be no performance advantage in using over 91 but 95 and 98 keep your fuel system cleaner.

A friend with a 6th gen suffered leaking injectors using 91 exclusively and now uses 95 or 98 with no more problems in that regard.

Supposedly the lower octane gasolines have the same detergents. Some brands may have different/better detergents, but then that begets a fun conversation about where the stations get their loads from.

I have not done any scientific tests about power or mileage but I know for sure that my 8th gen definitely runs better and smoother with higher octane gasoline (from the same station(s)), especially at lower RPMs and/or higher ambient temps.

Buy the cheapest...

Here on the island in Blighty the cost of fuel is 107.82 English Pennies for a continental litre.

If i have my calculations right that is the equivalent to US$ 6.33 per US Gallon, how much do you guys pay?!!

PS hard luck to the Aussies losing the rugby, well done the All Blacks! We lost interest a while back.......

Our fuel here in Brisbane Aus floats anywhere between $1.15 to $1.60 per liter in the last 6 months for 91 RON it changes over a 2-3 week cycle

95RON is usually about 10 cents a liter more

98RON is usually about 18 cents more than the 91 RON

I have a mate with a subaru non turbo Imprezza and if he runs 98 or 95 it would take up to 3 turns of the key to get started from a cold start

He went back to running 91 with no other changes and it starts first flick of the key every time from cold just like it used to

We have tried the same experiment with a VW polo and a Mercedes A180 with exactly the same result the Merc was an absolute dog to start from cold with 98

When I drove fuel tankers for BP they used to say that the higher octane fuels have a slower flame path and were really for forced induction or modern high compression engines with auto timing advance and apart from having a higher detergent agent would be of no benefit unless specified by the manufacturer

We run our little 1.4 ltr Suzuki swift on 95 RON as suggested by the handbook and it cold starts just fine and returns

19.5 km/liter around town or 5.12 ltrs/100km

45.87 US mpg

55.80 British mpg

better than my bike dammit which only ever sees 95RON

Archived