Daugerty Upgrade

maxredline

• Member Contributer

For the guys that do a lot of two-up riding, I suppose my advice would be to do what I did -- be patient and grab an Ohlins (or similar) shock that is adjustable. If you're taking a passenger, you can simply twist a couple knobs to get the settings you want. Whether or not they're the right settings I still don't know..!

Another bit of advise for two up....don't even think about riding aggressively with a passenger, even if you do have a fancy adjustable shock.

When I bought my shock, I was doing a lot of 2-up riding. It was either Ohlins or Wilbers that had the remote adjustable preload. At the time, VFRD had a group buy going and I ended up with the Wilbers. Now my GF has her own bike, so I hardly ever touch the preload knob. Sometimes on trips if I have the bike loaded heavy I do, but not very often.

How does Daugherty handle tuning the parts for 2-up riding? In this regard, what about mostly solo riding with some occasional 2-up versus mostly 2-up riding?

The best you can do is find that sweet middle spot that you'll be using most of the time, for the type of riding you'll predominately doing.

I feared that, choose one or the other, and of course I would choose the configuration for solo riding.

For the guys that do a lot of two-up riding, I suppose my advice would be to do what I did -- be patient and grab an Ohlins (or similar) shock that is adjustable. If you're taking a passenger, you can simply twist a couple knobs to get the settings you want. Whether or not they're the right settings I still don't know..!

I see $1300 for a fully adjustable shock. I will need heart medication now, but this helps me understand what it would take.

I finally got around to backing off all the settings on my bike. :blush: I lost a lot of weight (about 14 or 15 kg) and hadn't bothered adjusting anything. It now feels SO plush and compliant.

There's one thing that always gets me about the VFR though, and that's how much unsprung weight there is in the rear. Doesn't matter how good your shock is, and how well it's set up, it's still going to bang and clatter over bumps. Handling's fine - it's just never going to be a magic carpet ride. Mebbe I should just get the drill out and start lightening.... :comp13:

Or the sabre saw: my SpousalUnit's favourite tool. NOT!! Recently did some renovation on the house, and there were a couple of jobs where it was really the only tool for the job. Man, talk about getting wound up! Now if I want some entertainment, I just say something like, "Hmmmm.... I think the sabre saw would the perfect tool for this job!"

How does Daugherty handle tuning the parts for 2-up riding? In this regard, what about mostly solo riding with some occasional 2-up versus mostly 2-up riding?

The best you can do is find that sweet middle spot that you'll be using most of the time, for the type of riding you'll predominately doing.

I feared that, choose one or the other, and of course I would choose the configuration for solo riding.

I see $1300 for a fully adjustable shock. I will need heart medication now, but this helps me understand what it would take.

Yep, they are really expensive new, but you don't have to get a new one! I got my used Ohlins for well under half that amount, and after a cheap rebuild (really) I'm way way in front.

I finally got around to backing off all the settings on my bike. :blush: I lost a lot of weight (about 14 or 15 kg) and hadn't bothered adjusting anything. It now feels SO plush and compliant.

There's one thing that always gets me about the VFR though, and that's how much unsprung weight there is in the rear. Doesn't matter how good your shock is, and how well it's set up, it's still going to bang and clatter over bumps. Handling's fine - it's just never going to be a magic carpet ride. Mebbe I should just get the drill out and start lightening.... :comp13:

Or the sabre saw: my SpousalUnit's favourite tool. NOT!! Recently did some renovation on the house, and there were a couple of jobs where it was really the only tool for the job. Man, talk about getting wound up! Now if I want some entertainment, I just say something like, "Hmmmm.... I think the sabre saw would the perfect tool for this job!"

Congratulations on losing weight! That is one of the most difficult things to do, a major success story.

Is your shock OEM? Despite not being particularly heavy springs, the valve rate is such that all response from the stock shock is harsh. My mechanic says he has never seen a Honda shock fail. Knowing Honda, they built the shock to be bullet proof. Unfortunately reliability is usually at odds with performance.

Look out! To the man with a sabre saw in his hand every problem looks like a block of wood.

• Member Contributer

If you ride two up, Ohlins, Penske or the like is probably the way to go to get the adjustability you need. Maybe you find one on Ebay and even if it has the wrong spring and may need rebuilt anyway. You can send to Jamie or a local shop (assume they have framiliarity with VFR's) to re-spring, re-build for your riding style etc...half assing it will make your enjoyment less if you want to ride solo and then two-up with pillion.

Matt

I rode on Tim's (CassandTim - member name) 6th generation with RC51 forks, full adjustability and a new machined aluminum triple with a Renthal flat bar a few years ago. Hours of work and literally thousands of dollars spent. We switched for a day ride for part of the day - my 6th gen (bone stock) and his heavily modified bike. When he got off mine he asked what I did to the suspension - it felt good. I got off his and felt a noticeable difference but not significant enough to make me want to switch. If you're really concerned or interested in infinitely tweaking your bike and riding 9/10ths all the time, then maybe this is worth it. For everyday riding and use, meh. Looks really flash though. ;)

Congratulations on losing weight! That is one of the most difficult things to do, a major success story.

>> Weellll, yes and no. I'm (probably) bipolar, and for a couple of years, my GP had me on mirtazipine, which is also used to treat anorexia. It gives you a serious appetite, especially for carbs and CHOCOLATE! (Mmmmm... chocolate....)

When I decided to chuck all meds (again), my appetite went back to normal, and in conjunction with an exercise schedule for my wrecked shoulder (free gift when I had open-heart surgery in 2010), and a more recent one for my wrecked back (some collapsed disks) I started losing weight pretty quickly. Especially when combined with walking /playing with my mental dogs (retriever/poodle crosses.) Now my wife says I'm TOO thin (down to about 70kg).

Is your shock OEM? Despite not being particularly heavy springs, the valve rate is such that all response from the stock shock is harsh. My mechanic says he has never seen a Honda shock fail. Knowing Honda, they built the shock to be bullet proof. Unfortunately reliability is usually at odds with performance.

>> No, it's not. Front forks have been professionally rebuilt with Ohlins and Racetech parts (twice! because the original Sonic Springs were too harsh), and the rear shock was an Elka (VFRD group buy), which coincidentally has the same internal dimensions as a VFR-specific Ohlins, whose parts now reside inside it.

Look out! To the man with a sabre saw in his hand every problem looks like a block of wood.

>> And apparently a man with a sabre saw in his hand looks like a crazed and crazy fool to his wife. (Thank goodness she never saw me trying to remove the peened link from my VTR's chain, using a 24,000RPM laminate trimmer and low-speed grinder bit. Now I've had some pretty dumb ideas, but THAT was definitely the dumbest one EVER!

The front kit only has compression, no rebound adjustment. You actually have to think quite a bit. It's not as easy plug and play as you may think. I fought with the rear shock quite a bit to get it to work all together. Actually laid the bike down 2 weeks ago because of ill suspension after this kit. I have since had a professional tune it. I won't blame it all on the suspension, about 20% was rider error. The front was just not set right, and the rear was waayyyyy too soft.

You didn't crash because of the suspension, you crashed because you got in over your head. Not being able to adjust your suspension just got you there quicker.

Well, kind of. Dam near pulled out of it. Didn't even crack a fairing. My weight shifted and brought the bike down too far. I wasn't in over my head. I should have known better though.

• Member Contributer

IMO, with a few exceptions, crashes are always the result of rider error. Those who aren't willing to hold themselves accountable will usually repeat the same mistakes.

• Member Contributer

IMO, with a few exceptions, crashes are always the result of rider error. Those who aren't willing to hold themselves accountable will usually repeat the same mistakes.

I'm finding that the concept of "there are almost no accidents" is a very tough one with which to get through to people.

• Member Contributer

Denial is very powerful. If you ask riders if they have above average skills most will answer 'yes'. And yet not everyone can be above average. A good many riders are not objective about their skill set and I've met very few that take ongoing instruction.

• Member Contributer

At least half the people I know are below average

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denial is very powerful. If you ask riders if they have above average skills most will answer 'yes'. And yet not everyone can be above average. A good many riders are not objective about their skill set and I've met very few that take ongoing instruction.

I am right with you! Denial stems from the human ego. The ego is astoundingly powerful and is a nigh impossible barrier. Also people, despite all this talk about the "value of education", do not want to learn, they do not want knowledge for knowledge sake, they just want to learn enough to make money and then play with their toys.

I learned this at work. Most employees think they are "awesome." Sorry human race, but you have proven that the large majority of the workforce is "okay" or "almost acceptable."

I think the eighty/twenty rule is immutable. Eighty percent of the real work is done by twenty percent of the people. The rest are doing rote work and are easily replaceable. To their surprise, many more will replaced by automation soon, which unfortunately will continue to prove this point.

• Member Contributer

I am right with you! Denial stems from the human ego. The ego is astoundingly powerful and is a nigh impossible barrier. Also people, despite all this talk about the "value of education", do not want to learn, they do not want knowledge for knowledge sake, they just want to learn enough to make money and then play with their toys.

I learned this at work. Most employees think they are "awesome." Sorry human race, but you have proven that the large majority of the workforce is "okay" or "almost acceptable."

I think the eighty/twenty rule is immutable. Eighty percent of the real work is done by twenty percent of the people. The rest are doing rote work and are easily replaceable. To their surprise, many more will replaced by automation soon, which unfortunately will continue to prove this point.

We are the Champions of Mediocrity! or at least that's the way it feels now! Get an award at school for just showing up. Get a trophy for just being on the team. Seems that no need to excel, you'll get your accolades along with the rest of the group just for participating! (rant over)

Personally I feel that riding is a constant learning experience and I'm open to learning more every day. Sort of like being a doctor, they don't call it a medical practice for no reason.

• Member Contributer

Really, no matter how good you are or how you receive yourself, if you feel like you would benefit from an upgrade on your bike of any type and in doing so will enjoy the bike more, do it.

Archived