Pirelli Angel Gt?

y2kvfr800

Hi guys. I am on Tapatalk, and the search function is giving me trouble. I ask for forgiveness and have my burn cream ready if this is a dead horse. Is the GT a good match? It seems the ST is discontinued and the GT seems to be more for an ST1300 than a VFR800FI. I ran PPs and PRs previously on my XX, but want to experiment with something different and have never run Pirelli. Thank you in advance

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Ijust put a set of gts on my 4th gen about 500 miles ago! Nothing but a thumbs up so far!

Thanks for the reply. I assume the 4th Gen is lighter, so very interesting. When I select my bike on their website, they show me two options. The Rosso II and Angel ST. My Previous ride was a CBR1100XX, and I never considered a VFR800FIY, a GT Bike??...thanks again for the reply.

• Member Contributer

I've put about 30,000km on two sets of them on a 6th gen and been a great tyre in all sorts of weather both commuting and touring. Highly recommended

I've never heard a bad word about the Pirelli Angel GT tires. I know a couple of people who run them on the VFR and are supremely happy with them.

• Member Contributer

All depends what you are after. Touring tyres today are where sports tyres were 10years ago. At the Ron Haslam race school they use Bridgestone touring tyres on the bikes because they may have to be used in any conditions, but they hang on really well in the dry at quite silly speeds, so use whatever takes your fancy,

You really only need proper sports tyres for track days or if you are a crazy rider nowadays.

• Member Contributer

Just ordered my 2nd Angel GT rear, fronts still ok. Rear did 7000 mls. 4500 of those miles were done touring Europe and Ireland twice this year, latest trip to Ireland just about finished it! Pleased with them, no problems. A friend in Ireland recommended this site for a new one, cant beat there price anywhere.

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/

• Member Contributer

Ijust put a set of gts on my 4th gen about 500 miles ago! Nothing but a thumbs up so far!

Thanks for the reply. I assume the 4th Gen is lighter, so very interesting. When I select my bike on their website, they show me two options. The Rosso II and Angel ST. My Previous ride was a CBR1100XX, and I never considered a VFR800FIY, a GT Bike??...thanks again for the reply.

Lol the vfr is not big sport tourer but I really liked the ST and the Rosso II. I do a lot of comuting and the twistys are 500 miles away in any direction. The ST have me a solid 8000 miles and the Rosso II close to 5000. Neither set of Pirellis were ridden down to the wear bars, close but still had rideable tread. Tires probably had another 1000 miles of life let but started to feel the road groves more and a little slippage a few times when twisting the throttle a little too much for the tire grip that was available at that point in their life. So the GTs went on!

One more thing on the GT. The rear seemed a little more stubborn to mount than most other tires. I assume the stiffer side wall is to blame.....lol

Thanks for all of the replies my friends! I thought the GT might be a little firm for the lighter VFR, but will run them. I wonder why their website doesn't show the GT?? Anyway, thanks again homies

I just put a set of GT's on not too long ago on mine and love them so far. I dont think I have put a 1000 miles on them so far but they look great and ride so much better than what was on it before. I do a good but of two up riding as well and they do great with a passenger too. This is the first of this tire for me but so far I would not hesitate to recommend them or run them again.

I have about 2000 mi on a set of GTs. The wear and grip so far is fantastic, absolutely no complaints. The PO I bought the bike from had Q2s on it and I hated the front profile of that tire. I was always making mid corner corrections and had the front slipped a few times. To be fair, the age of a tire is a huge contributor to how well it grips, so who knows how old they were but I couldn't change them fast enough.

I'll get another set after these give up the ghost.

I can't emphasize enough that regardless of what brand of tire you have, the age of the tire makes a huge difference especially after they have been heat cycled (run-in). The Q2 front mentioned above probably didn't have 1500 miles on it but the hardness of the rubber would have been over 100 on a durometer based on my evaluation, whereas a new fresh Q2 probably is around 70. It was rock hard and unsurprisingly skittish. IMO, you should change rubber every two to three years regardless of mileage if you plan on any "sport" riding. Safety tip of the day!

Scott L.

• Member Contributer

I fitted Gt Angels to my 97 Vfr800 and they are the ducks guts. In the wet the grip is awesome, two up the stronger sidewalls make a difference at full lean. Wear is pretty good. I switched to Pirelli last year and am pretty happy. Ive got Diablo's fitted to my Nc30 and the grip is beyond the bikes requirements.

• Member Contributer

I have about 10,000 miles on the Angel GTs between my '01 and '07 VFR. The Angel GT is perfect for the VFR. they have amazing grip, quick turn in, dont stand up on the brakes, are very light, wear extremely well, and heat up quickly. They are also wonderful in the rain. I think that you will be very happy with them.

• Member Contributer

Hate to break up the love-fest but I couldn't recommend Pirellis for a VFR800 - at least not the Angel ST. I know the topic is the Angel GT, and there are many considerations in choosing tires. For me, as long as I can get ~10,000 km the most important aspect is how they feel.

I tried Angel ST when replacing my '09 VFR's oe Dunolps. The next year they were replaced with Pilot Power 3. Even taking wear into consideration the Michelins felt much better.

For the last 15 years my tire of choice has been Michelin - Pilot Sport, Pilot Power, and this year PR4. During that time I've also used Bridgestone Bt-014 + Bt-020, oe Dunlop D204, Pirellii GTS & Angel ST, but I keep returning to Michelin. Ymmv.

• Member Contributer

Hate to break up the love-fest but I couldn't recommend Pirellis for a VFR800 - at least not the Angel ST. I know the topic is the Angel GT, and there are many considerations in choosing tires. For me, as long as I can get ~10,000 km the most important aspect is how they feel.

I tried Angel ST when replacing my '09 VFR's oe Dunolps. The next year they were replaced with Pilot Power 3. Even taking wear into consideration the Michelins felt much better.

For the last 15 years my tire of choice has been Michelin - Pilot Sport, Pilot Power, and this year PR4. During that time I've also used Bridgestone Bt-014 + Bt-020, oe Dunlop D204, Pirellii GTS & Angel ST, but I keep returning to Michelin. Ymmv.

Comparing the Pirelli Angel GTs to the STs is like comparing the Michelin Pilot Power to the 2CT. The GTs are way better. I also did not care for the STs on the VFR and swapped them out pretty quickly.

You can't go wrong with the Michelins either. I have a set of the Power 3s on my Hawk GT and they are incredible for street tires.

I also tried the Power 2CT front and Road rear on my '07 VFR 800, and did not care for it myself. But the Road 4 GT has received nothing but rave reviews. I would love to try them someday but really don't think that I need them. The Road 4s are awesome in the wet but I don't ride in the rain often enough to need them.

• Member Contributer

Comparing the Pirelli Angel GTs to the STs is like comparing the Michelin Pilot Power to the 2CT. The GTs are way better. I also did not care for the STs on the VFR and swapped them out pretty quickly.

You can't go wrong with the Michelins either. I have a set of the Power 3s on my Hawk GT and they are incredible for street tires.

I also tried the Power 2CT front and Road rear on my '07 VFR 800, and did not care for it myself. But the Road 4 GT has received nothing but rave reviews. I would love to try them someday but really don't think that I need them. The Road 4s are awesome in the wet but I don't ride in the rain often enough to need them.

Yeah, the STs had a really poor reputation, but the GTs as you say are way better.

I put about 20,000km on Road3 and was very happy. Road4 is apparently at least as good, but I haven't tried it.

The early BT20s, especially the fronts were average. But the newer BT-23 are very good too. I think they are changing the series though as I now am on my second set of S020 on the Daytona and they are great for that so far. I think they replace the BT-16s, but sure.

Metzler have always been a great suggestion for the bike. I haven't tried Dunlops since the original supplied tyres.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, the STs had a really poor reputation, but the GTs as you say are way better.

I put about 20,000km on Road3 and was very happy. Road4 is apparently at least as good, but I haven't tried it.

The early BT20s, especially the fronts were average. But the newer BT-23 are very good too. I think they are changing the series though as I now am on my second set of S020 on the Daytona and they are great for that so far. I think they replace the BT-16s, but sure.

Metzler have always been a great suggestion for the bike. I haven't tried Dunlops since the original supplied tyres.

I run the Pirellli Supercorsa SP V2 on my Daytona 675 and for the track they are by far the best tires I have ever ridden on. The bike isn't that hard on tires but I have yet to really be able to over ride them in Advanced.

I also like the Angle GT in all ways Except wear. I got less then 2000 miles out of a rear with my normal riding, where as I get 3300-3500 from a PR2 rear riding the same w/o any loss of grip or confidence.

BR

• Member Contributer

Depends totally on what you ride it like. I had 25,000km (15,000mi?) on my first set and 20,000km on the second before the VFR was written off.

The PR2 had about the same so it totally depends.

Depends totally on what you ride it like. I had 25,000km (15,000mi?) on my first set and 20,000km on the second before the VFR was written off.

The PR2 had about the same so it totally depends.

Frog,

While I do appreciate your perspective, it is from a vastly different one then mine. I would kill to ride like I like to ride on the type of roads I like to ride on and get anywhere near 10k miles out of any tire, but in the 150,000 plus miles I've put on VFR's alone I've never gotten more then 3500 miles from any rear tire and that is a PR2!

Riding the same Pace, roads and rider on the same bike a PR2 provides me a 75% increase in tire life over the GT and that is a HUGE differance!!!! And that is with no noticable Grip level loss.

The GT is a very good tire, I just can't afford to use them.

BR

• Member Contributer

Sorry BR. That's kinda what I was trying to say too. You just said it a lot better. My bikes do thousands of km of near freeway commuting which really lengthens the life I can get out of them. Seen pics of your riding and you sure make full use of the tyre :)

Archived