Which Ohlins Shocks Fit A 5Th Gen?

number9

I'm looking to pick up a used Ohlins 46 HRCS locally. I believe it came off a 3rd gen VFR. How can I tell if it will fit, and if it will, what mounting kit(s) I will need? We have a thread talking about using a 4th gen shock on a 5th gen, but not starting with a 3rd gen.

I've tried looking at both ohlins.com and ohlinsusa.com and can't find anything of interest for our 5th gens. :( I will have the shock rebuilt & resprung once I get it.

• Member Contributer

the Ohlins on my bike (taken from the shock) is S46HR1C1S model number HO801.

Here's the back and forth with the Ohlins Rep on the stock spring and modifying it for a #220lb rider,--let me know if this helps. Matt:

From email Sept 2014:

Thank you for getting this serial number for us Matt. The Öhlins shock for the 1998-2001 came with the 01092-59/150 spring stock! This spring is best for a dressed rider weight of 176# (dressed) + 132# load (308# max weight capacity). The next available spring is part number: 01092-64/160: $91.95, currently out of stock. This spring is for 220# rider (dressed) + 132# load (352# max weight capacity).

Please call us to order. Back –ordered parts usually take about two weeks to get from Sweden.

How much will this be to put on a new spring and the cost of the new spring. You pay for the spring only ($91.95). No labor cost to install it if you send your shock here.

How long will it take upon receipt of my shock? It literally takes about 10 minutes to change out the spring. 1-2 days overall turnaround time usually!

Thank you, Jerry

Jerry Wohlgemuth- Technical Sales Representative-

Motorcycle Division

Öhlins USA, Inc.

703 S. Grove Street, Unit C

Hendersonville, NC 28792

Phone: (828)692-4525 ext. 313

Fax: (828)692-0595

• Member Contributer

You could have the Ohlins off my 5th Gen, but I suspect the postage would be a bit exorbitant.

You could have the Ohlins off my 5th Gen, but I suspect the postage would be a bit exorbitant.

How much would you want for it mate? My employer does a lot of international shipping...

• Member Contributer

the Ohlins on my bike (taken from the shock) is S46HR1C1S model number HO801.

Here's the back and forth with the Ohlins Rep on the stock spring and modifying it for a #220lb rider,--let me know if this helps. Matt:

From email Sept 2014:

Thank you for getting this serial number for us Matt. The Öhlins shock for the 1998-2001 came with the 01092-59/150 spring stock! This spring is best for a dressed rider weight of 176# (dressed) + 132# load (308# max weight capacity). The next available spring is part number: 01092-64/160: $91.95, currently out of stock. This spring is for 220# rider (dressed) + 132# load (352# max weight capacity).

Please call us to order. Back –ordered parts usually take about two weeks to get from Sweden.

How much will this be to put on a new spring and the cost of the new spring. You pay for the spring only ($91.95). No labor cost to install it if you send your shock here.

How long will it take upon receipt of my shock? It literally takes about 10 minutes to change out the spring. 1-2 days overall turnaround time usually!

Thank you, Jerry

Jerry Wohlgemuth- Technical Sales Representative-

Motorcycle Division

Öhlins USA, Inc.

703 S. Grove Street, Unit C

Hendersonville, NC 28792

Phone: (828)692-4525 ext. 313

Fax: (828)692-0595

Just call Jerry or another tech at the Hendersonville office and they can set you straight if it will work or not.

I spoke to Jerry at Öhlins and he was incredibly helpful. Unfortunately for me though, the 4th gen shocks are not a worthwhile swap into a 5th gen. The 5th gen shock is longer, it has less stroke, it has a different spring rate, it has different valving, it has a different mounting eyelet, it has a different body, it has a different shaft, it has a different length adjustment system...

It might be worth it if you can get a 4th gen Öhlins for free. Otherwise, go to a 5th gen.

• Member Contributer

I also wonder what you (skids) want for the Öhlins,

Sorry for the grammar in the question ;)

M8, number9 clearly has first dibbs on it. If he decides he doesn't want it, I'll get back to you if that's ok?

I also wonder what you (skids) want for the Öhlins,

Sorry for the grammar in the question ;)

M8, number9 clearly has first dibbs on it. If he decides he doesn't want it, I'll get back to you if that's ok?

no problemo

Awe, dang, always late to the party, if by a slim chance #9 doesn't pick this up, Let me know please, thanks in advanace ;)

• Member Contributer

I have a 5th gen Penskie shock for sale had about 500 miles on it ,pm me if your interested . I can deliver to Sumsum .$500

• 2 weeks later...

The 2000 VFR I just purchased from a board member with an Ohlins and it is really good. It was a major factor in my purchase of the bike. Ohlins verified the spring for me and let me know that I could indeed reach my sag setting without an issue. I tweaked the settings before I changed the tires on the bike and I have to say every Ohlins is worth the money. Its my third bike with an Ohlins and I've been stupidly happy with all of them.

• 1 month later...

Where are you guys installing the remote canister for the shock? The Ohlins instructions are here. I've found a guy on a Spanish VFR site that's here and his install looks a little different to mine.

With the remote canister pulled back as far as the braided line will go, here's how it looks:

IMG_7339%201_zpsfisqcmqy.jpg

I think I've got the shock oriented correctly. Both the spring preload and canister line are pointing back towards the tail of the bike:

IMG_7343%201_zpsyfwgadcm.jpg

I guess I could put the canister in the undertray itself.

• Member Contributer

I looked up the installation manual for the Ohlins HO 801 which I assume you have. This is the recommended positioning they show:

Ohlins.jpg

• Member Contributer

I looked up the installation manual for the Ohlins HO 801 which I assume you have. This is the recommended positioning they show:

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/Cadbury64/Ohlins.ljpg

That is how mine is installed...

• Member Contributer

Ohlins.jpg

That looks right.

Is the line routed the best way to get it into that position? It looks a little low.

Ohlins.jpg

That looks right.

Is the line routed the best way to get it into that position? It looks a little low.

I think it's the best way, but I can try again to get it higher. That'll get it basically right through the battery tray, if that makes any sense

• Member Contributer

IIRC, I had to squeeze it out of its rioting so it was tucked behind something. That would probably explain why the hose seems a little short.

Perhaps someone who has an Ohlins fitted to a 5th Gen could take some photos of the routing of their remote reservoir and post them for you to see. :491:

• Member Contributer

Not sure if this helps

DB

It's the remote reservoir beneath the seat that he needs to see, in particular the routing of the braided hose from the shock to the reservoir.

If you have any pics of that, I'm sure he'd be grateful.

• 1 year later...

I think I'll be selling the Ohlins rear shock off my 5th gen. It was rebuilt this year by GMD Computrack in Boston, I have the receipt. 

Anyone interested? I'm putting the bike back to stock before selling it. :blush:

1 hour ago, number9 said:

I think I'll be selling the Ohlins rear shock off my 5th gen. It was rebuilt this year by GMD Computrack in Boston, I have the receipt. 

Anyone interested? I'm putting the bike back to stock before selling it. :blush:

Yes, interested. Sending pm!

• Member Contributer
On 8/4/2015 at 8:06 PM, number9 said:

I spoke to Jerry at Öhlins and he was incredibly helpful. Unfortunately for me though, the 4th gen shocks are not a worthwhile swap into a 5th gen. The 5th gen shock is longer, it has less stroke, it has a different spring rate, it has different valving, it has a different mounting eyelet, it has a different body, it has a different shaft, it has a different length adjustment system...

It might be worth it if you can get a 4th gen Öhlins for free. Otherwise, go to a 5th gen.

I did some research before buying a second-hand RC36 Ohlins for my RC46, using Ohlins' own data, and I decided it would be possible to use a 4th-gen shock on a 5th-gen bike, and it could probably be made perfect with a re-valve and re-fresh.  Of course, if I'd found a good second-hand HO 801 I would have gladly used that, but Ohlins doesn't (officially) make them anymore and there aren't many around!

RC36-II

Total length:  324mm

Stroke: 57mm

Spring: -79 (1,085lbs)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbYmQuqMDk9GTjwi3VdSG

RC46-I

Total length:  325mm

Stroke: 58mm

Spring: -59 (857lbs)

shock02.jpg

So, the earlier shock is 1mm shorter in both length and stroke.  Length can be adjusted, howewver, using a shim on the top shock mount on these bikes, so 1mm is not an issue with regard to total length.  Stroke cannot be changed without opening up the shock, but I have been told that there is a small amount of adjustability internally, so I wouldn't expect that gaining 1mm to be a huge problem.  The earlier spring is stronger, but could be just right, depending on the rider--I weigh 95kg and need a stronger spring, anyway (1,200lbs, according to Ed Sorbo at Lindemann).  It's not clear from the crappy found-on-internet pics above, but the mounting eyelets look the same from here!  (Perhaps Jerry was thinking of the earlier RC36 shock, which has a clevis at the bottom?  And neither shock has a length adjuster, so what's he talking about?) 

I plan on getting my 4th-gen Ohlins re-valved anyway, so any valving differences should be able to be changed then.  I will find out soon enough...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Öhlins shocks are assembled according to a very precise "Specification Card" such as the attached. 

I'm pretty sure official Öhlins techs don't bother to look beyond that and may even be under a strict contractual obligation to stick to it. 

So if the shock shaft and shock body are 1 mm longer, they will replace them even though it's a perfectly trivial difference and so on.

Shock-Spec_Card-Ohlins-01.png

• Member Contributer

Interesting... OTOH, there is a French Ohlins shop that is always listing "old" Ohlins models on eBay (for silly money), so they certainly don't mind building up obsolete shocks from parts.  As you say, everything is on the spec card anyway, so there's nothing stopping any Ohlins shop from doing the same thing (except, perhaps, a contractual agreement with Ohlins).

Ciao,

Archived