Which Ohlins Shocks Fit A 5Th Gen?

number9

9 hours ago, JZH said:

I did some research before buying a second-hand RC36 Ohlins for my RC46, using Ohlins' own data, and I decided it would be possible to use a 4th-gen shock on a 5th-gen bike, and it could probably be made perfect with a re-valve and re-fresh.  Of course, if I'd found a good second-hand HO 801 I would have gladly used that, but Ohlins doesn't (officially) make them anymore and there aren't many around!

I went through the same process last year. I asked my local Ohlins expert (GMD Computrack in Boston) if I could convert a 4th gen. shock to fit a 5th gen shock. He went through all the work required, and we decided that unless you could get the 4th gen. shock for basically free, it's not "worth it" financially. You end up swapping an awful lot of parts over!

I probably have the notes from when I spoke to him if you want me to try and dig them up.

• Member Contributer
59 minutes ago, JZH said:

Interesting... OTOH, there is a French Ohlins shop that is always listing "old" Ohlins models on eBay (for silly money), so they certainly don't mind building up obsolete shocks from parts. 

I guess you are referring to Mecadata.

It's always been a bit of a mystery to me why Öhlins seemingly won't build shocks for obsolete models. 

Other aftermarket manufacturers don't sneeze at the money from assembling a one-off and they all use some sort of modular system of components.

But then, Ö don't assemble to order for each customer, they build to stock. Standard models with a standard spring and standard valving. 

It's possible that Mecadata sell NOS items. Dunno for sure of course. 

• Member Contributer
On 11/11/2016 at 8:23 PM, number9 said:

I went through the same process last year. I asked my local Ohlins expert (GMD Computrack in Boston) if I could convert a 4th gen. shock to fit a 5th gen shock. He went through all the work required, and we decided that unless you could get the 4th gen. shock for basically free, it's not "worth it" financially. You end up swapping an awful lot of parts over!

I probably have the notes from when I spoke to him if you want me to try and dig them up.

Yes, please do.  I already have the shock, so I may as well see if it's worth trying.

Cheers,

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, JZH said:

I already have the shock, so I may as well see if it's worth trying.

Naah! Waste of time. Sell it to me. I'll take it as is. :goofy:

Seriously, shim it a few mils and just use it as is. I'm sure it will perform great. The stroke difference is nothing, the heavier spring will suit your weight, the valving is surely not that different... 

OTOH, I'm equally curious about what the Öhlins rep had to say.

Edit: The only thing I might be worried about is the bottom out bumper as that is actually an integral part of the shock's normal operation (the quoted shock stroke includes the bumper). It matters if one shock has a significantly taller bumper than the other but i'd be very surprised if that was the case between a 4G and a 5G. 

• Member Contributer

You mean internally, or the one you can see riding on the shaft inboard of the spring?

20160804_105114y.jpg

Easily measured, with the spring removed.

Checking geometry and clearances on my RC30 swing arm conversion I'm getting quite used to removing and replacing Ohlins shock springs...

20160804_105047y.jpg

(Using the Honda tools I've collected over the years.)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, JZH said:

You mean internally, or the one you can see riding on the shaft inboard of the spring?

I mean the one you can see in your picture. The internal one is a top-out bumper (that's where you could gain the missing mm, I believe). 

Under most riding circumstances, there should not be any contact but then you only use about 70-80 mm of wheel travel. Beyond that, the bumper becomes an integral part of the suspension. 

• Member Contributer

It was a bit scary using it at first, but I took solace from the fact that this was the very tool Honda specified in the FL-M workshop manual for use on the VFR's extremely stiff rear spring. 

On the other hand, by the time Honda released the FN-P model, they no longer suggested the spring be removed at all (and stopped listing individual shock parts), so maybe there had been a few too many shock/tool explosions... :blush:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, JZH said:

On the other hand, by the time Honda released the FN-P model, they no longer suggested the spring be removed at all (and stopped listing individual shock parts), so maybe there had been a few too many shock/tool explosions... :blush:

I have a different theory.

Honda / Showa started using a better grade of spring steel which provides a service life that comfortably exceeds the service life of the damper unit thereby making it uneconomical to offer springs as a spare part.

You just toss the whole thing and buy an aftermarket item. Who buys a replacement OEM anyway ? :wacko:

Edit: Messing with the VFR's mighty rear spring without a sturdy compressor certainly scares me:excl:

• 8 months later...

Archived