6Th Gen, Shall I Get It?

klimber

Hey all, new to the forum but trying to get back into the VFR riding;

Yesterday I test rode an '02 VFR for sale, 47k miles really like it, but trying to justify owning two motorcycles to myself. (I currently own a DL650)

Here's the link to the ad:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/5065358587.html

I'm wary of the electrical problems that people tend to encounter on these bikes, sometimes leaving people stranded. I don't want to take on the electrical re-wiring/insulating project myself, nor leave it to the Honda dealership to overcharge me with possibly sub-par labor.

After reading the "VTEC electrical problems info post" thread, it sounds owning one of these could be a nightmare; but then why do so many people LOVE the bike?

I'm leaving it up to you all to answer that... I thoroughly enjoyed the test ride, and am looking forward to get back into the "sportiness" of "sport-touring", but buying the VFR might just be asking for speeding tickets, higher insurance rates, and quite possibly more risk of bodily injury.

Can u talk me in or out of it?

• Member Contributer

That price should get you closer to a better condition. If it was sold at $2500 - $2800 and the damage really looks like low speed I would consider it. Look for new pegs, mirrors and bar ends. Usually a good sign it was a higher speed crash. I would keep looking for a cleaner 6 gen for a few more bucks or a clean 5th gen for 2500- $2700

• Member Contributer

I agree, for that price it should be in better shape but more importantly have lower mileage. For the same or a tad more you can find one with much lower miles and cleaner body. The 40K is a deal breaker for me.

but trying to justify owning two motorcycles to myself. (I currently own a DL650)

1> This is a very different bike, different use.

2> If 1 fails to start, you can switch bikes and still make your ride.

3> The maximum number of bikes you can own is N+1, where N is the number you currently own.

4> :beer:

• Member Contributer

That price should get you closer to a better condition. If it was sold at $2500 - $2800 and the damage really looks like low speed I would consider it. Look for new pegs, mirrors and bar ends. Usually a good sign it was a higher speed crash. I would keep looking for a cleaner 6 gen for a few more bucks or a clean 5th gen for 2500- $2700

+1

Roll On Until Your Wheels Squeak Then Get Off ..

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the multiple bike disorder club! :ph34r:

" . . . but then why do so many people LOVE the bike?"

* All day ergonomics

* Wide power band

* V4 = 4 cylinder motor the width of a twin

* Luggage, ABS options (on 6th gens like you're looking at)

* The perfect blend of sport and touring in one package

* Single sided swingarm

* Incredible sound with the right exhaust - pure magic!

* It's a Honda!!

Once you catch the disease, you won't want just one more bike - you'll be wanting multiple VFR's - you've been warned!! :laugh2:

Right now there's a 5th gen on ebay with just 59 miles . . . :wub2:

More people don't have electrical issues than have them. Still need to look at main harness connections for signs of heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I'm sorry but if the guy can't even wash the damn thing prior to taking For Sale pics, that tells me he doesn't give a crap about the important things regarding maintenance and over all care. JMO!

• Member Contributer

* All day ergonomics

* Wide power band

* Single sided swingarm

* It's a Honda!!

Once you catch the disease, you won't want just one more bike - you'll be wanting multiple VFR's - you've been warned!! :laugh2:

Right now there's a 5th gen on ebay with just 59 miles . . . :wub2:

59 miles???!!! Where??

I'm sorry but if the guy can't even wash the damn thing prior to taking For Sale pics, that tells me he doesn't give a crap about the important things regarding maintenance and over all care. JMO!

Yeah, spot on I reckon.

• Member Contributer

I believe this was a thread topic at one time. The bike was owned by the sellers father and after the dad passed away, he decided to sell it.

* All day ergonomics

* Wide power band

* Single sided swingarm

* It's a Honda!!

What Cogswell said, plus it will run forever. 81k miles on my '04 and counting. It has let me down just once, but it was significant: a fried stator 6 hours from home. But stators fry once in awhile. Mine happened around 58k miles, and I've not had a single issue since.

VFRs are known as the 'gentleman's sportbike'. It's a terrific blend of sportiness and touring ability, and just a terrific all-arounder, much like your DL but sportier. I've done 10-mile commutes and 600-mile days on mine, and everything between.

Yes, there are electrical problems with some VFRs, but most don't have them, and they can usually be sorted out with some time and skill anyway. I trust my bike enough to have toured around Lake Superior on it a few years ago.

The seller should take 2200 for that, great price for a second bike if u ask me. But if you're particular ( like me ), I hold out for a nicer specimen. 06+, less than 20k miles, could be in high 3s low 4s. Mine was 4200, 6k miles, abs, anniv edition with hard bags. Best deal I've ever gotten on a bike. It is so versatile!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Archived