How Not To Sell Your 1998 Honda Vfr 800

deltaboxii

• Member Contributer

First, I am not affiliated with this ad!

Second, If you really want to sell a bike, its probably not best to mention in the ad that you have "UPGRADED" to something else. But a Harley? Really...? That's your idea of an upgrade??!!

From the ad:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/4980562201.html

Im selling my 1998 Honda Vfr Interceptor 800 cc because I have upgraded to a Harley. The bike has 39xxx miles on it it looks nice and rides nice .I have all the factory diagrams on how to work on this bike I also have extra parts...clean title in hand. 4000 o.b.o

The bike looks nice although a bit on the high side of his asking price... he probably has alot of chrome and leather chaps and tassles to buy now...

I certainly hope that no one that is a member on THIS forum would describe their VFR this way. Sorry, but this really grinds my gear driven cams.

I don't think I consider any bike an upgrade over the VFR. A upgrade indicates a bike in the same class that is superior. A Hardley-Movingson isn't even comparable to a VFR. Other bikes are better at other things, like cruising and bike week showing off, if that's your cup o' tea.

• Member Contributer

Y'all are too sensitive, especially someone who's name here is PirateRiderBen. Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?

• Member Contributer

There's a 2000 5th gen on Craigslist in NC that proclaims adult ridden, but the first picture is with the front wheel a foot and a half off of the ground.

There's a 2000 5th gen on Craigslist in NC that proclaims adult ridden, but the first picture is with the front wheel a foot and a half off of the ground.

Haha, I saw that one many times! It is yellow, but one of the old ads just had him doing wheelies and burn outs.

• Member Contributer

He has been trying to sell it for a year .

Pirate in my name comes from the ECU Pirates. I had no idea it meant anything about the motor company until last year.

I know which bike you're referring too. He won't sell it at that price given the pics and the wording of his add. Something about your friends being jealous when you blow by them or something.

• Member Contributer

Pirate in my name comes from the ECU Pirates. I had no idea it meant anything about the motor company until last year.

Hence, the irony. Arrrr!

• Member Contributer

Huh, I'd always assumed you were a Harley rider who saw the light and converted to the VFR. Guess I shouldn't have read so much into your username. +1 respect point haha.

I have never owned a Harley. Not that I wouldn't, but I just have no idea what I would do with a cruiser. Probably polish it and look at it. I started riding on cruisers, had a 1994 Magna, a 1996 Shadow 1100 ACE, and a 1994 Kawasaki Voyager 1200. That shadow was a cool bike, but I prefer just about everything that a sport touring mount provides. :wheel:

-PRB

I don't see a problem. Probably wants to impress his friends at work and the ladies love Harleys.

The problem is (at least for me) is that his ad talks about "adult driven" and the pictures are of just wheelies.

• Member Contributer

Impossible to 'upgrade' from a 5th gen as has been said, hard to believe but we have some of this Harley riding/gang type crew even in Ireland,They look down there nose at Jap bikes.

• Member Contributer

I don't see a problem. Probably wants to impress his friends at work and the ladies love Harleys.

The problem is (at least for me) is that his ad talks about "adult driven" and the pictures are of just wheelies.

Obviously those are mature wheelies which are ok. :pinocchio:

• Member Contributer

A few years back a friends wife told him because of their current finical situation and new baby she felt the only responsible thing for him to do was to sell his bike. So he added up his extensive farkles, added that to the two year old purchase price, and voila, wife was happy, no one seemed to want to buy the bike at the that "reasonable price", so unfortunately he had to keep it.

Archived