A New Door Opens, A Vf500Fii

keny

Bike is confirmed by Finnish Honda importer to be a Swiss market bike. They can`t say for sure if there is any other difference than the carburetors.

Well it has full power like other market VF500F:s, not restricted so I see no problem in it so far.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some uppdates.

As I posted in a other topic, even intention was here, some work is done, like new chain on, the Clutch has new seal both M/C and slave cylinder, was not to soon!

post-880-0-39798400-1432122334.jpgpost-880-0-39798400-1432122334.jpg

Today I started whit the Fuel tap, and could just say mine has a 1986 style fuel tap, and the repair kit I did order was wrong :unsure:

post-880-0-89096400-1432122469.jpgpost-880-0-89096400-1432122469.jpg

But the bright side is that it seem OK, just some dirt in there. Now what still is a mystery is why the bike starve for fuel as the tank has lost bout 10l of fuel? I did change the vacuum horse to the fuel tap as I got home, still the bike did starve for fuel, come alive as I did let the bike over to left side. Hmmm.... Hopfully the small amount of dire in there is the reason and it will run fine now, it should have a 15,5 liter tank as a 1986 spec bike, even frame number say its a 1985....Swiss bike?

I can see there is still parts available, like a vacum kit for the Fuel Tap: 16953-ml0-034-cover-setcock_medium16953M

This might be of interest to you Keny ...

He does more than just suspension

http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/howto/tankvalve/tankvalve.html

Thanks, it is, but the only thing is, my bike do not have a fuel pump! So why I am having same synthoms? that`s the big question?

• Member Contributer

Bike is confirmed by Finnish Honda importer to be a Swiss market bike. They can`t say for sure if there is any other difference than the carburetors.

Well it has full power like other market VF500F:s, not restricted so I see no problem in it so far.

If you had the European Honda Parts Catalogue, you could simply go through it and see which parts were different for SW. I once did that for the FL-FP VFR750. But you would really have to want to know! (Or be unhealthily obsessive...)

Hope that "dirt" isn't rust...I just replaced the tank on my FP due to rust. Sitting unused for years and being shipped to Hong Kong and back did not help!

Ciao,

If you had the European Honda Parts Catalogue, you could simply go through it and see which parts were different for SW. I once did that for the FL-FP VFR750. But you would really have to want to know! (Or be unhealthily obsessive...)

Hope that "dirt" isn't rust...I just replaced the tank on my FP due to rust. Sitting unused for years and being shipped to Hong Kong and back did not help!

Ciao,

Thanks, I have to find a parts catalogue I guess.

For the dirt, it was on the vacuum side of the fuel tap, so I guess its got stuck in the tinny hole and shut the fuel tap (I hope my theory is right).

The screen/filter that is in the tank/at fuel tap was clean and nice.

• Member Contributer

Is it like on the VTR250 selector? With the face seal? That repair kit is just for the vacuum. Vacuum from one cylinder opens the fuel line. You can test to see if it works by using a vacuum pump (MityVac hand pump works great). The face seal hardens, deteriorates, and gets filled with gunk.

• Member Contributer

Had the stock vacuum petcock fail on the 599 (Hornet 600 for Europe). Decided to scrap the whole thing and put on a manual petcock. This may be an option for you if the petcock is accessible so you can manually turn it on and off. I used a pingel unit that fit on the stock 22mm threads. Not really sure how yours mounts, but they make a variety of different fuel tank outlet fitments. There may be something less expensive and more local for you though.

Had the stock vacuum petcock fail on the 599 (Hornet 600 for Europe). Decided to scrap the whole thing and put on a manual petcock. This may be an option for you if the petcock is accessible so you can manually turn it on and off. I used a pingel unit that fit on the stock 22mm threads. Not really sure how yours mounts, but they make a variety of different fuel tank outlet fitments. There may be something less expensive and more local for you though.

The stock petcock has a manual on/off/reserve + a vacuum operated valve, all in same bit. To make it manual all I need is to do like in the link that is in earlier posts or here again: http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/howto/tankvalve/tankvalve.html

And almost did this mod, but as all seem nice , and as I did shorten a screw to plug the outtake for the vacuum tube, I noticed the adapter was loose, whitch mean it may/will eventually leak and perhaps shut the vacuum valve, so decided to test if it works for at least next ride.

Aside opening the front calipper, as I still have not got the new seals for them, all is done (mounted new speedo cable today) so ready for a 200-300km ride tomorrow.....

• Member Contributer

The stock petcock has a manual on/off/reserve + a vacuum operated valve, all in same bit. To lake it manual all I need is to do like in the link that is in earlier posts or here again: http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/howto/tankvalve/tankvalve.html

And almost did this mod, but as all seem nice , and as I did shorten a screw to plug the outtake for the vacuum tube, I noticed the adapter was loose, whitch mean it may/will eventually leak and perhaps shut the vacuum valve, so decided to test if it works for at least next ride.

Aside opening the front calipper, as I still have not got the new seals for them, all is done (mounted new speedo cable today) so ready for a 200-300km ride tomorrow.....

Neat mod. Also totally impossible to mount a pingel there; it's buried too far to turn the switch on and off. Best of luck!

• Member Contributer

• Member Contributer

There is a reason we see a lot of youngtimers come on the market.

motorvehicles >25 year old were exempt for roadtax.

no more, the threshold is now 40 years.

As I bought the bike for keny, I expected a bill, but got a letter that this year was a "transition" period.

Wouldn´t it be the perfect learner bike for your wife Dutchy.................

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

She cordially declined, preferring to hold on to me whilst riding pillion..

• Member Contributer

So that's about $700 USD? I wonder what it would cost to ship it to the US and register it here.....

• 2 weeks later...

An update.

Did run one tank almost dry, then next did struggle for fuel again, and as I did fill the tank, 9,3l is all it did take...........

And still wait for the front calipers seal kit as the company I did order them from made a big mistake......

But other than that I really just like the bike! well its no HP monster but a sweet ride and has amazing handling on the twisty bits!

An update.

A Sherlock Holmes work did let me know the VF500F has same seals in both front and rear calippers, so now I have 2 rear kits on the way from same company as it had them in stock. :cheerleader:

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎22‎.‎5‎.‎2015 at 4:03 AM, JZH said:

Ciao,

I do hope this dirt is not rust.............

post-880-0-78799700-1434823806.jpgpost-880-0-78799700-1434823806.jpg

If it is rust, electrolysis eill deal with it: http://thekneeslider.com/how-to-get-rid-of-rust-in-motorcycle-gas-tanks/

I have plans to deal with the rust in the tank of my cb550 in short time. After dealing with the rust, i will zinc coat it with the aid of electrolysis. http://home.comcast.net/~rt66tbird/website/zincplating.html

I had a snap on peak camera borrowed today from a friends work. Looks more promising than I had hoped.

Actually the 4 pics whit some minor rust is all rust I did find in the tank,

post-880-0-69472000-1435173318.jpgpost-880-0-69472000-1435173318.jpg

post-880-0-50577900-1435173342.jpgpost-880-0-50577900-1435173342.jpg

post-880-0-77407700-1435173358.jpgpost-880-0-77407700-1435173358.jpg

post-880-0-95754300-1435173378.jpgpost-880-0-95754300-1435173378.jpg

the rest looked like this

post-880-0-30705900-1435173393.jpgpost-880-0-30705900-1435173393.jpg

So can the loose dirt/rust that was in the tank had come from a fill up from a petrol station whit a bad tank?

• Member Contributer

Hello Mod Team,

please change Keny's forum name to "Endo" :goofy:

That is good news Endo! :beer:

I have an air filter and a petcock repair kit (switched to OFF it doesnot stop the flow of petrol) coming in, so I will drain the tank on mine as well and see what I can see...

As for engines blowing up, I re-read a one page summary from Practical Sportbikes, a magazine regarded as "in the know" no? They mentioned a few weaknesses of the F2, but valves were not mentioned.....

The PO of my VF (and the PO before that) claim always to have used fully synthetic oil so that is what I will continue; hoping that this "better" oil contributes a a longer life..... (beats burning incense in front of a Ganesh statue.....) :goofy:

As for engines blowing up, I re-read a one page summary from Practical Sportbikes, a magazine regarded as "in the know" no? They mentioned a few weaknesses of the F2, but valves were not mentioned.....

Well, this might be the case, but I dont know how I did miss the valve drop issue the 2 days I did look into common problems for the VF500 before I contacted you Dutchy, I sure dont like the idea rideing around a on abike that might pop.....spechally as a nice RWB VFR750F turned up on Speurders.nl... :dry:

But the RWB VF500 is a stunning looking bike, and a great ride as long as it runs :warranty:

Archived