A New Door Opens, A Vf500Fii

keny

• Member Contributer

I just counted I has only had 16h of sleep the past 84 hours! Next night in own bed will be nice. But we sleep when we dead, right

Pure excitement and adrenaline will make that happen. Glad you got home safe with the new pony! Great story!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

You gave us the proof, vikings are still though people. Respect for this monster trip :tour:

1. The Vikings came from three countries of Scandinavia: Denmark, Norway and Sweden. The name 'Viking' comes from a language called 'Old Norse' and means 'a pirate raid'. People who went off raiding in ships were said to be 'going Viking'.
Or am i being picky? There again i would think twice riding that far in rain and cold on a bike i know nothing about.

• Member Contributer

Viking style navigation aid for the 1000 mile trip to Stockholm:

IMAG1590.jpg

post-8974-0-88601600-1430682399.jpg

(always have a backup plan....)

You gave us the proof, vikings are still though people. Respect for this monster trip :tour:

1. The Vikings came from three countries of Scandinavia: Denmark, Norway and Sweden. The name 'Viking' comes from a language called 'Old Norse' and means 'a pirate raid'. People who went off raiding in ships were said to be 'going Viking'.
Or am i being picky? There again i would think twice riding that far in rain and cold on a bike i know nothing about.
Keny raided Holland and got home with a beautiful vf500f so he was going viking :tongue:

• Member Contributer

Keny raided Holland and got home with a beautiful vf500f so he was going viking :tongue:

Aaaah - that explains it.

Well I was too tired ? as I got home yesterday for a comment here and to busy at work today to, but the VF is in my garage now after spending last night outside and I had to take ice from the seat this morning as I left for the ride to work where it got Finnish documents for it and now wait for the tax quote to finally get Finnish license plates. The vf will sit in the garage untill then and I need to get a new chain, tires as a fuel tap vacuum repair kit as starter.

All standard maintenance issues. If a chain is too old,the grease will deteriorate and no longer function as a lubricant. So when used the chain will wear in a very short time.

The membrane from the duel tap will become hard andere tear when in use. And after 1600 miles of highway a tire may be worm.

After fixing this probleem you have a beautiful classic Honda.

Well the rear tire had only 2mm of tread left as I started the trip, is just a tad (0.1-0.2mm) abow the wear bar now, but as its DOT stamped 398<, its just to replace.

I think I will have a nice summer whit this, but a bit busy right now, so even a topic of the trip home have to wait..........

Man, the fuel tap. Every VF500 on the planet needs a new one. The only flaw in that bike.

Other than that, what a great way to get to know your bike.

• Member Contributer

Seeing it for the first time and doing some prepping!!!

P5018775_zps5ysujydx.jpg

Out with the old

P5018777_zpsgtr5deox.jpg

In with the new

P5018779_zpsrjh5mf6g.jpg

Mirror adjustment

P5018776_zpshsqygjhv.jpg

12V socket for GPS; The Viking rejected the idea of heated grips...

P5018778_zps8oqs23id.jpg

Freeing one partly stuck caliper

P5018780_zps6mekl9n0.jpg

6AM...

P5028783_zpssmeq1kvh.jpg

Texting home that The Journey begins...

P5028786_zpsvqajlhbw.jpg

The rest of the story will be Keny's to tell....

A "starring role" for.....

post-8974-0-97247400-1430838422.jpg

OK, thanks for the opening Leon.
Saturday morning I head towards Germany and had first fuel stop just before German border, only made 140km just to see what the fuel consumption would be. First was 6,7l/100km, so quit high!
Next stop was in Germany, about 30 km south of Bremen in Germany, after the VF500 clock had turned 40k kms at the crossing of E30 and A1 88km before. Bike was running great, and fuel consumption was now down to 6,0l/100km :smile:
gallery_880_2173_144835.jpg
Then I started to lube the chain and suddenly I noticed not a nice thing :blink:

gallery_880_2173_20358.jpg

The chain lock clip was missing, and I had not even been speeding. I know the bike had a "cheap" chain, read no o-ring one, and a bike like this would need a chain whit a proper chain lock. I was in deep s___t.............. Called Leon, and he found out the cosets plase to get a chain lock was Bremen and Louis shop, slowly I did ride there..

The chain did not look that good at close inspection, came rust from it!

gallery_880_2173_66760.jpg

The brown in next pic is rust dust from the chain

gallery_880_2173_247615.jpg

So at Louis I first asked for a new chain, becorse it had stretch a bit alredy. They had non in stock, and as they didn`t stock Iris chains, only DID, they didnt want to sell me a chain look for the wrong brand. I had a explane 15 min that I just need the clip and they have no responsability selling it to me. Eventually got it, and had to buy a tool to get it mounted also. But all was not ok by this, becorse on my way to Louis, 11km after the fuel stop, the odo/speedo did stop work. Louise didnt have a new cabel in stock, so I had to just ride distanse by the navigater from now on. So I´m on the road again and had passed Hamburg at 1pm. Time for next fuel stop.

gallery_880_2173_378885.jpg

The north towards Danmark where I arrived 4.30pm.

I must say Danmark was the best part of the ride home (aside the nice ride on Friday whit Dutchy and V4 Rosso that could come home erlier to make the Friday meet and ride) Even I was just doing motorways the wiews where nice, actually wild life came almost to close at one moment where a deer was eating just at the edge of the motorway tarmac!

At Nyborg I had a longer Fuel stop and also did fuel myself at 6.30 pm. Only warm meal of the day!

Just after Nyborg I had this wiew:

gallery_880_2173_82861.jpg

Storabelt bridge. And some 130km later it was the next bridge betwen Danmark and Sweden, Öresunds bridge, ~900km done at this point.

gallery_880_2173_394939.jpg

gallery_880_2173_680149.jpg

At that bridge the bike started struggle for fuel, and eventually did die, so I rolled to the road till station, payd the toll and pushed the bike to the parking lot and see what can be done. Eventually the vaccum pipe betwen the fuel tap and engine had gone brittle and leaked. The accumulator owerflow tube was same size, so I did borrow it and I was on the road again!

It was sunset and the night ride part begun. I had 640km left to Stockholm! Time 22pm. Well it had rained in Sweden that evening, so of the 640km about 400km was on wet or soaking wet roads. Not so nice on 15 year old rubber.....less so as temps at times where just around freeze! I had a visor fog problem, looks like pin-look was so worn it was not tight to the visor! So vision was not the best, but I held the dry wheel lines if possible. Here a pic from a night fuel stop.

gallery_880_2173_189332.jpg

The pic is not that sharp as you can see, my hand where shaking, it was just so cold, I was ice to the bone it felt!

Eventually the sun started to rice and I came to Stockholm 5am Sunday morning. 1 hour to spare to the check-in that start at 6am.

Here I wait to get on the ferry

gallery_880_2173_309615.jpg

And shes pretty tied up.....on the ferry

gallery_880_2173_271969.jpg

Had a shower as I got on board, breakfast and then got to the cabin for a 5 hour sleep.

Getting closer to Turku and Finland the wiews are rather nice

gallery_880_2173_261861.jpg

And the ferry was in Turku 7.15 PM Sunday, and I then had a 150km ride home so I was at home 9pm, tired but happy whit a bike that I had ridden ~1550km in 24h and totally 1850km in 3 days, so almost as mutch as it had been ridden in 2 years, 2k kms .

I got home, the chain did not stretch to much, even I had to shim the center stand a bit so chain did not rub it. I did not have tools along to adjust the chain! the rear axle tool was missing.......

gallery_880_2173_132062.jpg

The bad vaccum tube came handy for that whit a zip tie, was done during night ride in Sweden

gallery_880_2173_301346.jpg

So I´m now a happy owner of a nice VF500FII that needs some love, like new tires, chain and a fuel pet repair kit :cool:

The rear tire, that had 2mm of tread left is just at the wear bar now, so hold up better than I would have belived!

Thanks Dutchy for helping me to for fill this deal, and V4 Rosso, was nice to see you again, sadly my trip was short. Bert, see you a other time!

• Member Contributer

Very Cool!

Glad you made it home ok and with a good story to tell...

• Member Contributer

gallery_880_2173_20358.jpg

The last word on this has yet to be said.

The seller (a mc repair and 2nd hand bike shop) is on vacation now; we agreed to discuss this further come next Monday...

• Member Contributer

What a great way to get to know your new bike, and very brave too.

Well done. :beer:

And here I as thinking you were in for a long boring ride home. Was I wrong :laugh: Finally boarding the ferry must have felt good.

Heard plenty of stories of missing clips, especially when the chain has stretched a bit, asto me it looks it has stretched quite a bit compared to what it looked like on friday.

But you got yourself a wonderful bike, it's a beauty :fing02:

I did check the clip I installed in Bremen during every stay, and it did hold all way home. Its time for a new chain, thats for sure, a O or X ring and proberly a rivet linked...

I had to turn the adjusters at the rear of the swing 5 ½ turn to get it somewhat adjusted, still quite loose as its uneven stretched during the length

That chain had no grease left inside the rollers. This kind of chain need to be put in a can of heated grease every 1500 k. That explains the clip lock, because every 1500k you have tot remove the chain for greasing. Without grease the chain is gone in one long road trip.

That chain had no grease left inside the rollers. This kind of chain need to be put in a can of heated grease every 1500 k. That explains the clip lock, because every 1500k you have tot remove the chain for greasing. Without grease the chain is gone in one long road trip.

Yes, its a non o-ring chain, mostly used on race bikes as low cc(125cc and smaller) bikes, becorse it has low inside friction (=rob less HP). The back side it needs careful lubrication regulary, best the way you describe. I do think that sinking that chain in a hot grease bath would not had help, becorse it looks like it been washed but not oiled after so water had been sitting in it and damage done. Just rust poring out of it tells that. I did lube it every stop I made (9 in total) and the 4 last stop it didn´t stretch any or very little, most it did stretch the 3-4 first stops. So I guess lube got in it after all to stop it wear further. It will be replaced whit a O or X ring chain for a longer life whit more ease. What has crossed my mind is if there would be sprockets to make a 520 convention....

• Member Contributer

That brings back memories. Years ago i used to do that with my chains. Made by a company called Renolds http://www.renold.com/. Used to come in a big cake like tin then heated. In my case on my mums cooker, she used to go tits at the smell. Chain was basically soaked in molten grease then taken out and allowed to solidify. Very messy job!

Archived