Opinions Needed - '97 Or '03

Lannyl81

• Member Contributer

Looking to get my first VFR; last bike was a '93 CBR1000F, would like opinions between these two VFRs, have not seen either in person yet:

1) '97, 25k miles, looks very good, has Corbin and stock seat, few scratches on fairings, but all minor

2)'03, 20k miles, owners states in mint condition, stock except for tires and exhaust.

I am not going to be touring, just crusing around and going up to the local mountain (9700').

I know the '97 has carbs, and gear drivern cams; '03 is fuel injected VTEC, chain driven cams.

Opinions.....

In which thread should I opinonate??

I would say the 97 would probably give you less maintenance and break-down troubles (even though FI is much more reliable tan Carbs; the VTEC has several components that give trouble: CCT Rattle, Stator BBQ, KFC Electrical Connectors, FI Map Surging, Clutch Basket Rattle, CBS PCV Valve making light braking judder up front).

BUT.... If you're a long tall streak of pelican shit like me (195 cm / 6'4") you won't be as comfortable as on a 6th gen.

AND... not all 6th gens end up producing any/all of those annoying/tourblesome symptoms... if the 6th gen you end up with is well looked after and you perform some simple preventative measures it's a fantastic bike for the 2ndhand buck.

I should add I have had all those symtpoms, some of them several times and I still kept mine over a 5th gen I owned simultaneously for several years... and have wrung up 120,000 km on it... been that's economically feasible for me cause I fix everything and do the maintenance myself... including two serious prangs and swapping out a motor (made money on the latter).

• Member Contributer

Depending on the price, I would lean towards the 6th Gen. Fuel Injection is nice. Newer, so potentially better resale down the road. Newer is also a plus for parts availability. 6th Gens have their horror stories, but my '04 has been trouble free for over 30K miles. (I did have the wiring recall done and added the VFRness.) I know you said you won't be touring, but I love the OEM luggage on the 6th Gen. I use the trunk daily for commuting to work. I add the saddle bags for touring.

Get a test ride on both.

The early 6th gens arent fuelled brilliantly tbf, and its abit hit and miss as to how good it is.

I struck lucky with mine. Its pretty good, not too snatchy, but it doesnt sound like others are so lucky from what I've read.

Also make sure you go above 7k. See what you think of the vtec. It can be quite an abrupt changeover, some dont like that. I love it though, think its brilliant, adds abit of fun, like a 2 stroke power band.

• Member Contributer

SILLY QUESTION :goofy:

Welcome to vfrd from across the pond!!!

go look at the bikes, fall in love with 1 and be happy. both are great bikes. but if you want a vtec, find one with abs is my advise

• Member Contributer

I had issues restarting my 4th gen in the rocky mountain national park, but not on pikes peak, so it's a bit of a coin toss with how the carbs will act at altitude. I like the 4th gen better, but you'd have to try them both. They are different enough that you will like one above the other.

• Member Contributer

Like others, I have owned both, and find endearing qualities as well as quirks to each. For a carb'ed bike, the 4th gen is at the apex of carburetor development. They run buttery smooth. I pile the miles on my 6th gen however because I wanted ABS brakes and I could get factory luggage, but the latter is something you can work out with aftermarket pieces if you want it. My 6th gen runs just fine at altitude (Pike's Peak as one example), but there is no idle air control, so if you go from low to high altitude without adjusting the idle screw your idle speed will drop off significantly. The only downside to a 4th gen I can think of is that plastic is getting difficult to find. Otherwise pick the one that speaks to you - they're both fine machines.

If you go to the Downloads section here, there are a number of scanned articles about both gens written when they were new - maybe go take a look through those and see if that helps. Tell us which you decide on. Cheers.

• Member Contributer

In which thread should I opinonate??

I would say the 97 would probably give you less maintenance and break-down troubles (even though FI is much more reliable tan Carbs;

are you smoking crack ??? carbs have WAAAAAAAAY less problems than FI!!

say 3 " our blessed honda " prayers and and be forgiven for that blasphemous statement. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Lots of good advice above ^^^^^

Best of luck.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the replies.....probably should have only posted in one section, but wanted to hear from both generation riders.

Sooo....reading that the '97 is more of a sport bike, '03 a tourer.....is the seating position much different between the two?

I am 6'1".

Thanks

• Member Contributer

I have owned a 4th so I'm biased, but have ridden the 6th around 1500 miles or so. I admit I didnt care for the 6th. So I did have the 4th for around 7 years and agree with Cogwell, the engine is butter smooth, the carbs are very fine. Also the 4th, I agree is sportier. Ergos, the 4th is close, but the bars you will find are about a bar diameter lower.

I loved mine, rode it all around Pennsylvania to Georgia. Maintenance was fine, and it did have the obligatorily R/R death. Otherwise, standard stuff, chains, oil, valve check, etc.

Good luck

My vote is for the forth gen, it is the better bike...

If you are on the fence, just get a sixth gen rear wheel and put it on the Forth gen so you can ride on a 180/55-17.

• Member Contributer

I have owned 93,03 and now 08 if you can kept up the maintenance on the carbs great bikes BUT if you dont or you buy one that has not been maintained, good luck . The fuelie's are much better bikes .

If you are on the fence, just get a sixth gen rear wheel and put it on the Forth gen so you can ride on a 180/55-17.

A 3rd gen wheel is better looking though!

• Member Contributer

A 3rd gen wheel is better looking though!

You sure about that? :unsure:

post-8974-0-80172800-1425658821.jpg

:goofy:

I had a 97 VFR750 a long time ago. I loved it but I did not get to keep her very long, small paychecks forced me to sell her. I did love that bike! The motor was great, I enjoyed the handling, it carried a passenger very well and just did everything without complaint.

I now own a 06 VFR800. I have not ridden an earlier 6th gen so I cant speak for them but I also love my 06 just as much as my 97. I have had mine for about a year and half now and have not had one issue with it at all.

Some dont like the V-tech, some do. I personally do not mind it at all and find it fun at times! It has never one time bothered me but I did grow up on two stroke dirt bikes too. There seems to be a good aftermarket for the 6th Gen. I have not looked into aftermarket for the 97.

If I had those two machines sitting side by side and they were equal condition, miles and price, I would have a hard time choosing which one I would take home.

Check them both out, ride them and see what you think. Check out whats available parts wise and think about how you want to use the bike.

Good luck with your choice!

• Member Contributer

Well was not able to go check out the two bikes as planned, they are both 2 to 2.5 hrs away from me. Not sure if either will be avaiable next weekend or not.

The '97 owner is asking $3200 with soft luggage and two seats.

The '03 owner is asking $4000, no extras, just non stock muffler.

Both seem to be pretty firm on price.

Also found a '96 with 37k miles for $2575, pretty much stock. Looks to be in very good shape....but again 2.5 hrs away.

Just nothing for sale locally and finding it really difficult to make the trip and have someone with me so I can ride bike home.

Getting really frustrated!!!....so close but yet so far.

• Member Contributer

Instead of entering the same info twice; check-out my update in the 4th Generation section....same title.

This thread has come to an end. Thanks to all that replied. See you in the 4th Gen section.

Archived