My New 1200

Skids

• Member Contributer

Bought a 1200F today.

Registered last Oct but the owner only rode it for 150miles before saying he didn't want it and taking his old bike back.

Full GT Pack, although the touring screen flip is in the topbox, not fitted. It also has the underseat 12v power socket and it has a GPS power lead up at the tank.

Delivery to be organised and the list of accessories I want is already long.

I know it's not in my garage yet but I do have a photo....

IMAG02521_zpsqcjyhbi0.jpg

I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of dumb questions of you guys, as I've already done but I can't wait to get her and for the weather to improve a bit.

First purchases will be: fenda extender, hugger and an oil cooler guard. We'll try the seat before deciding whether to get it recovered. Rear suspender will be replaced at some point and I'll likely get a Dam exhaust though I'd really love a Competition Werkes but the cost would probably be exorbitant with postage & import duty.

• Member Contributer

Water cooler guard ....

My bad....I'm used to the 800.

Thanks.

Sweet Skids, are you keeping the Vtec also.

Yes m8, I am. It's now my winter/commuting/pile the miles on it bike. I've retired my previous winter bike, my 98 5th Gen so the 1200 will get pride of place.

First purchases will be: fenda extender, hugger and an oil cooler guard. We'll try the seat before deciding whether to get it recovered. Rear suspender will be replaced at some point and I'll likely get a Dam exhaust though I'd really love a Competition Werkes but the cost would probably be exorbitant with postage & import duty.

That's funny, because everyone on this side of the pond says the same thing about the Dam :)

• Member Contributer

Ordered the Skidmarx fenda extender and rear hugger, plus a RAM headstock mount.

Will speak with Beowulf on Monday about the radiator guard; what they had on the stand at the bike show differs from what is on their website.

Need some more tank bag reviews here and will pop down to Bikestop sometime soon to take a look at the Givi offerings. I can't find any Cortech stockists in the UK but the Revzilla video review was helpful. I'm inclined towards the Cortech because it's claimed to be waterproof without the need to stop and fit a cover, but I'll take a look at the Givi before I come to a decision.

I'm going to wait until I have a few miles on the 1200 under my belt before making a decision on mirror extenders and any headlamp bulb upgrades.

Spoke to the guys on the HID City stand at the show too. They reckon their Xenon kits are a straight replacement for standard H4 or H7 bulbs, with 3 times more light than standard incandescent bulbs. No reflector modifications needed at all. They're not cheap but if they work that well, then worth it.

Does anyone know the diameter of the OEM heated throttle grip? I ride my 800 with a cramp buster and will probably get one for the 1200 if it's a smaller diameter, which I think it is.

Thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer

Nice bike Skids. Love the black scheme. Be prepared for suspension to move up your list of mods. On the tank bag, I never opted for one because the paint on the tank seems to scratch easily. I've since put on the protective film and wouldn't be as concerned now. Might consider this.

• Member Contributer

Mirror extenders really help the rear view, but I should have installed frame sliders first before I dropped it at 2 mph!

I've had mirror extenders on both my 800s but want to try the 1200 before I make a decision.

I've considered frame sliders and yes, they can reduce damage on very slow speed offs but much faster and they can cause more damage than may otherwise have occurred.

• Member Contributer

Success! Nice bike. Does this also mean that the real estate transaction was accomplished?

Yes, completed on my old house end of last year.

Been waiting since then for a good deal on a bike. The waiting was worth it!

Mirror extenders really help the rear view, but I should have installed frame sliders first before I dropped it at 2 mph!

I've had mirror extenders on both my 800s but want to try the 1200 before I make a decision.

I've considered frame sliders and yes, they can reduce damage on very slow speed offs but much faster and they can cause more damage than may otherwise have occurred.

I'll be looking to get some mirror extenders on mine this year, definitely miss them. I agree on frame sliders, too much potentially worse damage if a higher speed crash. When I crashed my track bike a couple of years ago they did more harm than good!

Can anyone recommend some mirror extenders for the 12?

• Member Contributer

Those are the ones I was looking at.

Perhaps we should ask Bethanysgrandad over on BO if he'll do some like the 5th/6th Gen ones.

• Member Contributer

Perhaps we should ask Bethanysgrandad over on BO if he'll do some like the 5th/6th Gen ones.

I've got a mate who owns a machine shop in Baldock. I'll ask him if he's interested.

He can borrow my 5th Gen ones as an idea of what we want!

I've got a mate who owns a machine shop in Baldock. I'll ask him if he's interested.

He can borrow my 5th Gen ones as an idea of what we want!

Good plan, I'll let you know.

Archived