5Th Gen Colours/years

VFRMAN

• Member Contributer

I think it would depend on what country. All US 5th gens are red except 2000 which is yellow. I have one.

: )

But in Canada they did offer blue. I have a blue cowl I got for free here in Austin. It was left behind by a Canadian and a guy was cleaning out his garage.

Yes, here in Europe there was a bit more choice in colours but I don't know what colour was available what year. I suppose red was available every year.

3kleur.jpg

Red, yellow and black

groen123.jpg

Dark green.

arcticblue.gif

Arctic blue

VFR800FI.jpg

Silver

And there was a special two tone aniversary:

145909841_1_big.jpg

Thanks,I have a chance to buy a very clean 00 in green,I was wondering if the the 00 model year was available in green,it's got the new type mirrors,and the HEC3 logo on the side panel so I assume it's the updated later model 5th gen.

I wasn't sure about the green colour,but from the pictures above I think it actually looks better than the black,to me anyway.

This bike has gold wheels,so they must have been powder coated or sprayed,but they look well on the green bike.

A green bike for an Irishman on the emerald isle might be the ticket :unsure:

I have a '00 model and original color is green (Canadian model)

P.s. look up the colour code under the seat to make sure its matching the fairing colour

• Member Contributer

Having both a 5 and 6 Gen, but no option for the green, I would take the Green 5 Gen. One it looks nice, especially with those gold wheels. Two, you can't go wrong with a 5 Gen and three, it's cheaper! Win, win IMO.

my service manual says valves should be checked every 25,000km (16,000mi)

i dont know what your budget is and whats the mileage, condition and prices of the 5th and 6th gen you're looking at,

but for double the price, if that 6th gen isn't significantly cleaner and better condition that the 5th gen, i would get the 5th gen for half the price, and for the rest of the money or less, i'd throw in new brake pads, tires, change fluids, throw in a slip-on, and she'll be a far better bike.

p.s. i have 64,500km (40,000mi) on my '00 VFR and in my own opinion, she's in a better condition and overall better bike than my '07 Ducati Monster S2R1000 which is 7 years newer and have 1/3 the mileage! :goofy:

i'm honestly thinking of selling the Monster and keeping the VFR, don't get me wrong, the monster is an amazing little light bike, but i just can't find one thing that makes it better than the VFR which is worth half the price maybe :offtopic:

Congratulations Saoirse32!

Your new bike is spectacular. I've not seen a green model b4. With the gold wheels it looks just great. I truly dislike black wheels. The most expressive part of a bike should look their best. She's gone to a good home, with out a doubt. Good fortune, R3~

Hearty congrats. Beautiful and distinctive bike. Just noticed one thing. In your pic - the wide angle lens emphasizes this - but the orange indicator lens seems to distract from the gold wheels. The previous owner of my red 2001 had bought but not fitted clear indicator lenses (you need orange bulbs). I installed them and in one fell swoop it modernized the look of my bike. Just the other day someone asked if it was brand new. I think it would be extra worthwhile for you, to give your unique color scheme full value. Apparently you can also get a white/red/white rear light cluster but that is far less noticeable and they cost a lot more. May you have many years of joy with your 'new' bike. That's quite a stable now.You've got every tour option covered!

Welcome and great purchase, its quite a rare colour for the 5th gen.

Couple of notes:

- get yourself a staintune or similar slip-on and release the sound of the V4!

- how many miles on the bike?

- Valve clearances - I had mine checked at 35k km, and again at 70k km, my mech doesn't want to see it again until 150k km.

There usually was 3 diffrent colors awable a year.

Correct if I´m wrong, but these I belive where awable in Europe at least

1998- Red, Black, Silver

1999- Red, Black, Yellow, Anniversary

2000- Red, Green, Blue (whit black wheels)

2001- Red, Silver, Blue (whit Silver wheels)

Hearty congrats. Beautiful and distinctive bike. Just noticed one thing. In your pic - the wide angle lens emphasizes this - but the orange indicator lens seems to distract from the gold wheels. The previous owner of my red 2001 had bought but not fitted clear indicator lenses (you need orange bulbs). I installed them and in one fell swoop it modernized the look of my bike. Just the other day someone asked if it was brand new. I think it would be extra worthwhile for you, to give your unique color scheme full value. Apparently you can also get a white/red/white rear light cluster but that is far less noticeable and they cost a lot more. May you have many years of joy with your 'new' bike. That's quite a stable now.You've got every tour option covered!

One quick (and cheap) mod to help tone down the "orange dumbo ears" look of the 5th gen indicators is to paint the back half of the lens. The back half is only a reflector, so you'll loose that, but it definitely helps make the bike look much better imho.

12%2B-%2B1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

@AB-OZ I can't seem to use the quote functiion,anyway I'm looking at getting a slip on can,thinking maybe a 'Fuel' end can because the price is reasonable and the quality should be good,my bike has 18,500 miles done so she is very fresh,just needed a complete service and check over and the charging issues sorted out.

The oem can is just too quiet,but I'll keep it though,this bike is likely a future classic.The clear lenses definitely make the bike look better,but the exhaust is the first item on the list.

• Member Contributer

Very nice,the twin outlets look mean,I bought a Fuel can before for a different bike and was happy with it,

being able to remove the Db killer is anice option to have,

Archived