Flash Ecu Vfr1200 Conclusion... Please Only Experience From People Who Have Theire 1200Ecu Flashed, No Speculations Only Facts!

Fasty

congratulations. Based on the gearing commander web site you were at 10,500 RPM in 6th gear ay 178.8 MPH (287.68 KPH). This assumes a tire diameter very close to new.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

THE BIG DIFFERANCE IS THE MIDRANGE the soft feeling around 4000 rpm is gone it now pulls like a 1200cc bike should. Now if you you're riding along at 55-60mph in 6th you just open throttle and go making passing much easier.

That's a function of the fuel mapping, which I guess you can also solve with a power commander. It's the bonus of all of the other things at once - saving the gear indicator with the benefits of a Z-Bomb, the benefits of a servo eliminator, plus a fuel map that theoretically has been developed to smooth out the power delivery in one fell swoop (plus changing the temp the fan turns on, raising the RPM limiter (if you dare), top speed limiter removal, etc.)

Lot of benefit to the reflash - will probably go ahead with it when funds allow rather than adding servo eliminator for $50, a z-bomb for $50, etc.

-Dan

No, it is a function of a ignition map. Plus a throttle valves are a limit here - they do not open fully. As I'm aware the fuel map has like only 20% share in this problem. Its a combination of a few things.

Talk to Don, I'm sure he will explain everything if you would be able to reach him...

Yes, the ignition timing is what would have been fixed by the z-bomb, something also covered by the reflash.

Wow - read the rest of the thread. 178 and a little room to spare? Wish we had an autobahn in the states.

Wife just had major injury (broke her fibia and tibia just above her ankle - sheared them right off) and when I get the bills paid from that (and our life is. Back in order) I'll look into the reflash. Does look like the best one stop shop. Question is, what map does one install?

- Dan

- Dan

congratulations. Based on the gearing commander web site you were at 10,500 RPM in 6th gear ay 178.8 MPH (287.68 KPH). This assumes a tire diameter very close to new.

About 1,5k miles on the new tires. Based on my own calculation the bike will hit 301.5 kph on the 6th gear limiter. This would be absolute max - speedo should give around 20 kph more.

Not that I desire to ride that fast - was just curious what this bike can do.

I found vfr1200 speedo to be very accurate - they send me a speed camera once - 58 kph is what I was measured and i saw 59 on the speedo. So be careful with the speed cameras LOL

One thing I was worried was the tire speed index. It seems our size does not comes with the Y rating - W is what you will find and its 270 kph. On the second hand zx14r and busa runs with the W index

as well - just need to have this in mind to not push W rated tire longer as 10 min tops.

Yes, the ignition timing is what would have been fixed by the z-bomb, something also covered by the reflash.

Wow - read the rest of the thread. 178 and a little room to spare? Wish we had an autobahn in the states.

Wife just had major injury (broke her fibia and tibia just above her ankle - sheared them right off) and when I get the bills paid from that (and our life is. Back in order) I'll look into the reflash. Does look like the best one stop shop. Question is, what map does one install?

- Dan

I would not waste my money on the z-bomb anymore.

• Member Contributer

When your speedo is accurate, mine isn't. 140 Km/h on speedo is 130 Km/h on garmin GPS(Z350). 60 Km/h is 52 Km/h on garmin.

How accurate is the GPS?

I had Mr.Guhl do his magic over the winter. Im completly satisfied with the difference it made. I also decatted my exaust.I told Don my setup on my bike and let him install a suitable map. Its like thebike has woken up.Very Smooth on the bottom end,and very strong mid range and up.

I would like to thank DynaJohn for his advise on the decat.I plan keeping my 1200 for a long time.It's comfortable, smooth very fast,and looks good. I forgot to, mention I had it custom painted also.

• Member Contributer

I had Mr.Guhl do his magic over the winter. Im completly satisfied with the difference it made. I also decatted my exaust.I told Don my setup on my bike and let him install a suitable map. Its like thebike has woken up.Very Smooth on the bottom end,and very strong mid range and up.

I would like to thank DynaJohn for his advise on the decat.I plan keeping my 1200 for a long time.It's comfortable, smooth very fast,and looks good. I forgot to, mention I had it custom painted also.

Well the mention of custom paint warrants a photo post I believe.

• Member Contributer

When your speedo is accurate, mine isn't. 140 Km/h on speedo is 130 Km/h on garmin GPS(Z350). 60 Km/h is 52 Km/h on garmin.

How accurate is the GPS?

As accurate as it gets, Perfect. :smile2:

• Member Contributer

How accurate is the GPS?

Not necessarily. There are a lot of factors which affect GPS accuracy....you cannot assume it is accurate all the time.

Plus GPS doesn't measure speed, it merely gives a location at a certain time ( actaully, it's the software on your device that works out a location, GPS just broadcasts a time signal). The accuracy of that location is variable (as mentioned above) and the nav software on whatever device you are using calculates the distance between 2 adjacent locations and the time at which they were recorded and averages the speed between them (speed = distance/time) .

GPS speed CAN be very accurate, it can also be way off and all points between.

• Member Contributer

How accurate is the GPS?

Not necessarily. There are a lot of factors which affect GPS accuracy....you cannot assume it is accurate all the time.

Plus GPS doesn't measure speed, it merely gives a location at a certain time ( actaully, it's the software on your device that works out a location, GPS just broadcasts a time signal). The accuracy of that location is variable (as mentioned above) and the nav software on whatever device you are using calculates the distance between 2 adjacent locations and the time at which they were recorded and averages the speed between them (speed = distance/time) .

GPS speed CAN be very accurate, it can also be way off and all points between.

I am well aware it works out the average speed over 2 points, but I would trust the GPS far more than the speedo on my VFR, where average speed camera's are concerned. Anyway back to satariel, I still think that is pretty accurate , going of the revs in top gear, yes as satariel said, the circumference of the tyre is arguable, but at that speed I would say the tyre circumference would be on the + side rather than the negative. So that goes in his favour.

• Member Contributer

Now after my guhl flash i have installed a Bos exhaust. More low end power to come!!

Hmm, what made you choose a Bos Auspuff over a built in Belgium DAM?

i had a bos on my hornet before and was verry happy with it.+ i got it 130€ cheaper+ i was told by dynajohn "longer" mufflers could get me some benefit.+i liked the design+See specs +13.5pk...

dooing a dyno later this year. hoping on some more low end power (i noticed inmediently the frontwheel raisel at lower rpm in 1st)

till now I m happy with the choice. I m also not wanting something different than most vfr s.

Longer cans helps Lower rpm. Shorter cans helps higher rpm. Think higher frequency = shorter wavelength. Then again... that's *if* you are good enough of a rider to tell a few HP difference in a 145HP bike.

I myself cannot. So mine is chopped short to fit my panniers.

• Member Contributer

I'll try get some pics up. I'm not the greatest with computers

You need to upload your photos to a web hosting site of which there are 000's.

Then copy the link or url to the picture that is now hosted on that site.

When you post on here and want to include the photo, press the button above, on the bottom row, that looks like a small photo (to the left of the <>) and copy the link to your photo into the box that automatically springs up. Press return and hey presto, instant photo in your post.

HTH

• 1 month later...

I have recently had my ECU reflashed by Guhl. I took advantage of a business conference in Las Vegas and took the ECU with me (from NZ) and then shipped it to Guhl from Vegas. He did it same day turnaround. I had to email and then call twice with what I wanted, which was:

Remap for 96RON (European map) fuel, optimised for slipon (Dam) and no cat.

Remove error code for exhaust

Remove limiter in 1-3 gear

Adjust fan cut in.

Now, I cannot be absolutely certain on the objectivity of the change (if any), as I had not ridden the bike for two months in between and in that time I also travelled to India as well as Vegas.

However, I do feel that it makes the bike less 'lurchy' in the lower gears. It has not been a night and day difference. I suspect that the Australian and New Zealand models are already pretty well mapped for our fuel. Certainly in NZ, the fuel is close to the European (and Japanese) fuel blend specs. Perhaps the US blend is quite differnet? Don did mention the European map being the same as what he does for NZ and Aus.

It does hunt a little when warming up from cold. I don't think that it used to do that, but I could be wrong. The fan is now annoying and I wished that I had not done that mod. I have been riding in 0 - 10deg temps over the last week and it comes on whenever I am riding slow through a town -as soon as the temp gets halfway.

I think that the highest compliment I can pay it is that I don't actually even think of the fuelling now. It is perfect. My 2000 R1 (carb) is like that as well. Whenever someone rides it, they comment on how awesome the fuel injection is :-)

Fuel consumption appears to be the same as it was - approx 17km/L. I need to get a few more tankfuls out of the way and all riding over the last week (1,800km) has been with full panniers and riding with a new Multistrada. The VFR has a way better engine than the agricultural strada. That things sounds like a bag of spanners being rattled and the VFR has significantly better overtaking power/ top gear roll on.

Brass Monkey 2015

• Member Contributer

I'd like to see the air-to-fuel ratio after the Guhl flash.

Has anybody measured it with a sensor gauge or dyno run?

• 2 weeks later...

Having ridden 70,000kms on the 2012 DCT model, and loved every one of them (except maybe the last one where I had an off and slid down the road). What to do ?. Buy the 2010 model DCT which was on sale ! (no other DCT choice in New Zealand).

But what a difference in the riding... almost a different bike. Clunky 1st and 2nd with minimal engine braking. I will definitely be getting the 2010 ECU flashed by Guhl. I will report back on how the flashed 2010 compares to the OEM 2012 model once it is repaired.

• Member Contributer

Having ridden 70,000kms on the 2012 DCT model, and loved every one of them (except maybe the last one where I had an off and slid down the road). What to do ?. Buy the 2010 model DCT which was on sale ! (no other DCT choice in New Zealand).

But what a difference in the riding... almost a different bike. Clunky 1st and 2nd with minimal engine braking. I will definitely be getting the 2010 ECU flashed by Guhl. I will report back on how the flashed 2010 compares to the OEM 2012 model once it is repaired.

Totally agree and can confirm Guhl ECU flash rectified issues between 2010 and 2012.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm sending my ECU off to Guhl Motors this week. (2010, manual shift)

I have only one question remaining:

What are the pros and cons of raising the rev limit by 500rpm? I especially want to hear any reports of problems (or possible problems).

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I'm sending my ECU off to Guhl Motors this week. (2010, manual shift)

I have only one question remaining:

What are the pros and cons of raising the rev limit by 500rpm? I especially want to hear any reports of problems (or possible problems).

Thanks!

I've read that the valves may not like the increased rev limit. Do a little research (might have been in this thread or the ECU reflash thread on VFR club on biker's oracle). Was initially going to raise the limit, but have decided against it for when I send my ECU to Don.

-Dan

Totally agree and can confirm Guhl ECU flash rectified issues between 2010 and 2012.

No it doesn't. It removes the restrictions but doesn't smooth out the clunkyness. When you say "confirm" that would absolutely not be in every case.

Archived