Flash Ecu Vfr1200 Conclusion... Please Only Experience From People Who Have Theire 1200Ecu Flashed, No Speculations Only Facts!

Fasty

I was surprised the exaust note didn't change with the Decat. I run a Delkavic exaust before and after the mods. As mentioned its slightly deeper tone,but not louder. This is a powerful motor stock,but when you let it breathe, it really wakes it up.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

again, a Honda engine with a redline of 10,500 rpm is not going to blow up at 11,000 rpm

is someone manufacturing the decat pipe or is everyone fabricating their own??

Jetex.co.uk

Y-Piece [2 inch] [stainless steel] 50.8mm in / 2 x 44.5mm out [u905145R]

Welder has it now; will let you know if it works. Board member Zuma reportedly used it with success. It's also possible to leave cat housing intact but remove the contents.

Guhl Motors flashed several VFR1200s last week (including mine), so we may be getting more feedback soon.

Don flashed my ECU this morning....should be here tomorrow !!!!!!!!

i sent mine last week but wasn't able to talk to Don until Monday morning because i was out of town ....he flashed it right away and got it back to FedEx immediately....i expect it today....he is very prompt

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FREAKIN' WOW !!!!!! i traded my VFR1200 in today...for a GUHL!!! the reflash is all that i expected and more.....right off the bat, pulling out of the driveway and down my street the elimination of the on/off throttle fuel cut was apparent ....no more lurching and drive train noise....thank God !!! this is also a big improvement at highway speed at small throttle openings and while cornering in the twisties....very smooth throttle transition, smoother shifting, and dare i say, better handling !!! without all of that lurching when the throttle is opened, the bike stays more stable in corners, making it much smoother and easier to ride in the tight stuff....i wasn't sure if i would see a big increase in power because i already had the Z bomb and Bazzaz Z-Fi fuel module ...and while Don did not install a map in my ECU, because of the Z-fi, there is a noticeable increase in power in the 4000 to 6000 RPM range....even at a steady 65 or 70 mph it just feels different....6th gear roll on from 70-100 is ridiculous ....i only got about 70 miles of riding in tonight after installing it but the first impressions are outstanding...while the extra power is cool, i really think the biggest thing to me is how the low speed throttle response has improved...looking forward to my first traffic jam !!!..heading out to spend the day riding tomorrow and i'll give it a good all around test...may even hit NYC ...nice to have the gear position indicator back too !!!....FYI...i did have the rpm limiter raised and the fan threshold point changed, top speed and servo too.....everything but the fuel map, as mentioned.......money VERY well spent.....if anyone has any doubts about doing the reflash ...just do it, you won't regret it....THIS is what i expected from a 1200cc V 4

I live in Canada and Mr.Guhls service is top notch. I have never met the man,other then computer talk. But if better performance is what your looking for out of your 1200, definitely call him. It makes the big VFR a new machine.

For the VFR1200F did he change something to the previous flash. I still have that on/off fuel cutting. This is annoying certainly is hairpins. He flashed mine somewhere in January.

For the VFR1200F did he change something to the previous flash. I still have that on/off fuel cutting. This is annoying certainly is hairpins. He flashed mine somewhere in January.

I would contact Don. You should not be having any hesitation in any gear. I'm sure he will sort out any ecu issue.

I will contact him. But I'll wait till winter. If I have to send it back it will cost me 250 € only shipping and customs service. So I would like to be sure if there is a solution.

• Member Contributer

Just curious, but do all these miraculous improvements relate to earlier models (2010/11)?

I'm not knocking it, in fact I am considering this as an option for me, it's just my near-standard 2014 1200 is very, very smooth on the throttle, at almost any revs; even at 1500rpm in first I can roll the throttle on & off to control speed with ease. Only engine mod so far is a DAM end can.

I just wonder if these issues are more prevalent to the early models and therefore the reasoning for later model owners to consider a Guhl flash will be different (removal of 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 6th gear limitations and varying the max rpm & fan speed plus tailoring the fuel map to your own particular setup).

Glad to hear folk are getting some serious improvements.

the off throttle fuel cut is an EPA mandate so it affects all U.S. model regardless of model year (mine is a 2010)..might not be a prob on European bikes...i believe that the mid range restrictions are two fold....one reason being that this is the rpm range where noise testing is done and they mellow it out a bit to pass these regulations,which i believe are more strict in Europe....also i think Honda dumbed it down a bit to please the lawyers because this bike would be targeted to more of a sport touring crowd than a bike like a CBR (IMO)...i have not ridden another VFR12 aside from my 2010 so it's hard to say if the restrictions are the same, but i'd have to guess that the reflash would make a difference on all model years...i wish the reflash was an option before i tapped into my wiring harness to install the Z-Fi for fuel mapping.....a chat with Don Guhl might answer your question better, he has done European models, he prob knows how extensive the restrictions are on late models.....i say go for it...good luck

I tried to ask a lot of question by e-mail but never got an answer by Don Guhl. By mail it's not possible to get connected. I had a restricted Belgium ECU(110 Hp) I ask to have it free and the restrictions in all gears could stay. All I now is that he is not restricted any more and have a lot more power. Other transformations he never told me neither witch software map he installed.

• Member Contributer

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FREAKIN' WOW !!!!!! i traded my VFR1200 in today...for a GUHL!!! the reflash is all that i expected and more.....right off the bat, pulling out of the driveway and down my street the elimination of the on/off throttle fuel cut was apparent ....no more lurching and drive train noise....thank God !!! this is also a big improvement at highway speed at small throttle openings and while cornering in the twisties....very smooth throttle transition, smoother shifting, and dare i say, better handling !!! without all of that lurching when the throttle is opened, the bike stays more stable in corners, making it much smoother and easier to ride in the tight stuff....i wasn't sure if i would see a big increase in power because i already had the Z bomb and Bazzaz Z-Fi fuel module ...and while Don did not install a map in my ECU, because of the Z-fi, there is a noticeable increase in power in the 4000 to 6000 RPM range....even at a steady 65 or 70 mph it just feels different....6th gear roll on from 70-100 is ridiculous ....i only got about 70 miles of riding in tonight after installing it but the first impressions are outstanding...while the extra power is cool, i really think the biggest thing to me is how the low speed throttle response has improved...looking forward to my first traffic jam !!!..heading out to spend the day riding tomorrow and i'll give it a good all around test...may even hit NYC ...nice to have the gear position indicator back too !!!....FYI...i did have the rpm limiter raised and the fan threshold point changed, top speed and servo too.....everything but the fuel map, as mentioned.......money VERY well spent.....if anyone has any doubts about doing the reflash ...just do it, you won't regret it....THIS is what i expected from a 1200cc V 4

Thanks for the report. I'm getting my forks back in a few days so will be able to test it myself.

Very glad to hear about the positive results, especially the throttle response being smoother. That's a pet peeve of mine. Stock it's not awful compared to some new bikes but can use improvement. I'll be glad to restore the torque in the low gears.

I've only had the bike since May but should have the front and rear suspension and fueling all sorted out in a couple weeks.

Until I get my forks back, I'm just staring with anticipation at the flashed ECU on the dining room table.

• Member Contributer

Just curious, but do all these miraculous improvements relate to earlier models (2010/11)?

I'm not knocking it, in fact I am considering this as an option for me, it's just my near-standard 2014 1200 is very, very smooth on the throttle, at almost any revs; even at 1500rpm in first I can roll the throttle on & off to control speed with ease. Only engine mod so far is a DAM end can.

I just wonder if these issues are more prevalent to the early models and therefore the reasoning for later model owners to consider a Guhl flash will be different (removal of 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 6th gear limitations and varying the max rpm & fan speed plus tailoring the fuel map to your own particular setup).

Glad to hear folk are getting some serious improvements.

Having both a 2010 and 2012 and tried a 2014 I'll pass on my two cents. The Guhl flash on the 2010 was well worth it for correcting low end throttle lag. We left the 2012 as it was as it felt just fine. The 2014 felt even better than the other two. It definitely feels like Honda has made improvements to the ECU with each iteration. Jamie suspension upgrades next on the list over winter.

Sent from my cerebellum using Tapatalk

@EhViffer, so if you had to compare the 2010 with Guhl flash and the bone stock 2014, what would be your thoughts? I love my 2010... but while the on/off throttle transitions is much improved with the Guhl flash, it's still not perfect. Keep in mind that the only bike I have to do a side by side comparison is my wife's 2003 carbureted 750 V4 Magna. The Magna sets the bar kind of high with that awesome motor.

• Member Contributer

@EhViffer, so if you had to compare the 2010 with Guhl flash and the bone stock 2014, what would be your thoughts? I love my 2010... but while the on/off throttle transitions is much improved with the Guhl flash, it's still not perfect. Keep in mind that the only bike I have to do a side by side comparison is my wife's 2003 carbureted 750 V4 Magna. The Magna sets the bar kind of high with that awesome motor.

Compared to the 2014 I tried my opinion would be to leave the ECU alone. I have not done my suspension yet but based on feedback posted on VFRD I would do that first. Oh and the OEM exhaust on the 2014 still sounds uninspiring so I would flip that for an aftermarket can as well.

• Member Contributer

Compared to the 2014 I tried my opinion would be to leave the ECU alone. I have not done my suspension yet but based on feedback posted on VFRD I would do that first. Oh and the OEM exhaust on the 2014 still sounds uninspiring so I would flip that for an aftermarket can as well.

Thanks for that.

I have a DAM (albeit, they are replacing it), the suspension goes in next month for a complete rework & the flash is definitely on the back-burner.

• Member Contributer

I'm hoping that a fuel controller (don't have one) won't be necessary after the reflash. Since Guhl is able to install a fuel map for my exhaust, I really don't think it will.

• Member Contributer

I'm hoping that a fuel controller (don't have one) won't be necessary after the reflash. Since Guhl is able to install a fuel map for my exhaust, I really don't think it will.

Don can install a custom map for your setup. Just let him know what you have and that's it.

I also have the Dam exhaust and he re-mapped mine as well. It rides perfect now, since I had Jamie Daugherty do my suspension too. :beer:

Archived