Is The Center Stand Enough?

JMS

• Member Contributer

I need to replace the front and rear tires on my 2007 VFR. I was wondering if this can be done by utilizing the center stand only. I'm thinking that maybe some of you Veteran VFR owners might have a trick or two up your sleeve that might make tire changes possible without me purchasing front and rear stands.... This is my first tire change on my first VFR....

Thanks in advance....

Jeff

• Member Contributer

A front stand makes life easier for changing tires, but not necessary by a long shot. I've done it using a small floor jack, and piece of wood to spread the lifting force. Put the jack under the pipes and gently lift. Or use a heavy (70-80 lbs.) sandbag on the rear of the seat to unweight the front tire. Some guys have used straps attached to ceiling joists to lift the front, with the centerstand down.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer

Hi Jeff,

yes, very easy. If by yourself, drill two holes for tie-down straps in 3/4" or 1/2" plywood, put centerstand on plywood, Loosen all bolts on front-end (do not remove yet), take off rear wheel, strap rear end down tight enough so front tire can drop out when removed. Remove front axle and front wheel should drop right out.

Other option is to get a friend to hold back end down while you remove front wheel.

• Member Contributer

Even easier, and I've been doing this for years, center stand and a gallon paint can under the headers. Can use floor jack if you wana go fancy.

I made myself a small wooden "stool" out of wood scraps and some MDF. To use it, I:

1. put the bike up on its centerstand

2. remove the rear wheel (otherwise the bike can't tip back far enough without the rear tire hitting the ground)

3. lift up the front wheel by hand (it doesn't take much effort), slide a stack of two 2x4 blocks under the front tire with my foot, and set the tire back down on the blocks

4. walk around to the side of the bike and slide the stool under the headers

5. slip in some wood shims to fill the space between stool and headers

6. lift up the front wheel again, kick aside the blocks that were holding it up, and let the bike rest on the stool

You need to elevate the front wheel about 3" off the floor in order to be able to remove it without taking off the fender.

post-10606-0-35276400-1412278726.jpg

• Member Contributer

There's a whole other thread about doing it without a center stand if you want more ideas. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/79366-need-to-change-a-tire-but-have-no-stands/page-5#entry970748

However the suggestions posted here should be sufficient. Or for $40-$50, depending on if they're on sale, Cycle Gear has the Track Side paddock stands that work in a pinch. But why spend the money if you don't have to.

Cheers,

D

• Member Contributer

1 extra tip.. put a strap from the centerstand to the front wheel .. :fing02:

lots of people learned that too late..

What he said... it keeps the center stand from accidentally folding up!

I have used a car floor jack to lift the front off the ground when the bike is on centerstand on both current 5th gen and my former -87VFR750F and then had both tires off, works well, just loosen the bolts (front as rear) before you lift the front wheel to avoid it might get unbalance and fall.

The one tip I would make:

Put a board of some kind below the center stand before lifting. This will make it more difficult to lift the bike onto the center stand. But, it will raise the rear wheel further off the ground.

Once i've changed the rear tire, i'll put it back in place. Then, I weight the pillion with heavy thing(s). This will lift the front of the bike.

The reason for the block is that without it, I struggle to get the wheel out from under the front fender. With the block, you have more clearance and its easier to slide out.

PS, not sure how other guys do it, but you can remove the front wheel by only removing the RH caliper. That means you can get the front off by removing/loosening only 5 bolts!

• Member Contributer

As far as weighting the rear to raise the front while on the c-stand, I found 50lbs in my Givi trunk is just right to raise the front and make the bike very stable. Did my whole front end conversion like that.

• Member Contributer

I remove the front wheel by removing the right caliper only as well. Depending on what I'm doing, I either use the ratchet tie downs from the ceiling hooks or the Cycle Gear front stand. Got it for $40 when they had it in sale. Prefer a Pitbull but really waiting for Bursig to make their adapter kit for the VFR800!

• Member Contributer
I just use a stack of 2 X 4's nailed together so they don't tilt/rock. I also run a strap from the back of the bike to a bicycle hook on my garage wall so there is no chance of my VFR moving forward for any reason.

Ready for new shoes!

Archived