Inner Bar End Weight

CHUCK2

• Member Contributer

I'm unable to tighten the L/S Handlebar end weight on my '98 enough to keep the inner part from clunking around. I do have the Throttlemeister installed but it did the same with the factory parts also.

Any suggestions on what I can do about that?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...

Does anyone know how to actually remove the inner weight from the bar? I want to go to aftermarket bar ends. I've got the factory outer weight off (the one that's held in with a screw) but I can't figure out how to get the inner weight out.

• Member Contributer

You need to have the grips off in order to access the steel tabs that retain the bare weight assembly. Might be possible to reach a tool under the grip to depress the tabs, but I've never done it that way.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Once I have the grips and bar end off, I thread a sacrificial bolt in to the weight to have some purchase on it to remove it. Once the tab's released I have not a hard time getting it out.

You need to have the grips off in order to access the steel tabs that retain the bare weight assembly. Might be possible to reach a tool under the grip to depress the tabs, but I've never done it that way.

Ciao,

Once I have the grips and bar end off, I thread a sacrificial bolt in to the weight to have some purchase on it to remove it. Once the tab's released I have not a hard time getting it out.

Thanks guys! I wouldn't have thought to try taking the grips off on my own.

Ciao,

Any secret to depressing the tab? Am I trying to push it in or kinda pull it down? I tried a little pick in there but no success yet...

• Member Contributer

No real secret, it should come out when the tab is pushed down out of the hole in the bars. You might try a little WD-40 just to lube things up.

Also you might want to check out the Vibranators: http://www.vibranator.com/ . They sound silly but they really do work, I've got a set on my '99.

• Member Contributer

No real secret, it should come out when the tab is pushed down out of the hole in the bars. You might try a little WD-40 just to lube things up.

Also you might want to check out the Vibranators: http://www.vibranator.com/ . They sound silly but they really do work, I've got a set on my '99.

Would you happen to know if throttlemeisters can be used with Vibranators?

I just bought a set....should be arriving any day now.

• Member Contributer

Nope, cannot be used with the Vibranators.

Ok. Thanks, FJ12Ryder.

• Member Contributer

I found the bar weight attachment to be on the wimpy side on the 5th gen bars. I knew I was going to 4th so I didnt mess with it. The weights on the 4th bars are more substantial and more solid attachment.

• Member Contributer

Why 4th gen handlebars? How are they different?

They are about a bar diameter lower than 5th gens. --- I had a 4th gen and loved the ergos on that bike, and to try to keep the same ergos on my 5th, I added the 4th bars. Its a strait up bolt on, no problem.

• Member Contributer

They are about a bar diameter lower than 5th gens. --- I had a 4th gen and loved the ergos on that bike, and to try to keep the same ergos on my 5th, I added the 4th bars. Its a strait up bolt on, no problem.

That's a mod I need right there! Did it make a considerable difference?

Anyone got a pair they'd like to sell??

• Member Contributer

How difficult was swapping the grips & throttle parts over?

• Member Contributer

Any problems with them hitting the tank when turned all the way.

• Member Contributer

I'm a twisty foole at heart and the lower bars help getting low in twisty stuff. And I have a repaired tendon in my right elbow and it puts less pressure on it with the lower bars. So, yeah, it makes a difference. Not huge, but noticeable. I like them.

Changing it over is easy peasy. Just cut the locator tabs off the bars and swap everything. I proby did it in an hour while killing a couple beers.

Its close, but no real problem. Try it, its easy.

• Member Contributer

Cool...now I just need to find me some!

So I got the inner weight assembly from the clutch side off easy enough. But for the throttle side, it looks like I need to remove the throttle tube from the bar. Right?

I've got the screws that hold the kill switch assembly out, but the throttle tube still doesn't budge. Might be time to check the service manual...

• Member Contributer

I'm a twisty foole at heart and the lower bars help getting low in twisty stuff. And I have a repaired tendon in my right elbow and it puts less pressure on it with the lower bars. So, yeah, it makes a difference. Not huge, but noticeable. I like them.

Changing it over is easy peasy. Just cut the locator tabs off the bars and swap everything. I proby did it in an hour while killing a couple beers.

Its close, but no real problem. Try it, its easy.

pics pls?

• Member Contributer

Is there a particular adhesive & grease that should be used when reassembling?

I try not to use any adhesive on grips unless they just won't stay put. I just wet the inside of them and use an air hose to get them on.

I would avoid any kind of lube on something you want to stay put...

Archived